Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-29-2018, 07:33 PM

Default Wainwright Base Primitive Weapons Season

Did anyone hunt the primitive season last December? Just wondering if you were seeing mature 5-7 year old Mulies or mostly young ones. I know the base isn’t what it used to be but I’m guessing the numbers are coming back since the culls. Trying to decide if I should pull it this year or wait longer.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:31 AM

No
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 05-31-2018, 07:56 AM

I hunted primitive weapons season last year. Deer numbers were reasonable but I did not see anything over 2 years old for the first 2 days. I ended up getting an old Mule deer on the last day that was well passed his prime and it was the only buck over 2 that we found. Although a couple big bucks get taken every year, it is definitely not a hunt that should have high expectations of getting a "trophy" in my opinion.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:44 PM

At this point I don’t think it matters how many years you wait, it doesn’t sound like the wainwright hunt will live up to your expectations.

There’s bucks there in that age class, but it’ll take hard work and more likely some luck to come across one. They definitely aren’t around every corner. Remember you’ll have no prescouting and will be sharing with 100 other registered hunters and only have 3 days. If you see one or two mule deer bucks in that age class under those conditions, I’d consider it successful.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
At this point I don’t think it matters how many years you wait, it doesn’t sound like the wainwright hunt will live up to your expectations.

There’s bucks there in that age class, but it’ll take hard work and more likely some luck to come across one. They definitely aren’t around every corner. Remember you’ll have no prescouting and will be sharing with 100 other registered hunters and only have 3 days. If you see one or two mule deer bucks in that age class under those conditions, I’d consider it successful.
Thanks guys! I’ve hunted the base several times over the years, sadly the base used to have fantastic numbers, genetics and was a great hunt. Another opportunity squandered by our government and F&G. I understand these hunts are mainly to reduce numbers but it could be something so much more for first time hunters, youths and/ or raise considerably more money for conservation with a little innovative thinking. Innovation and willingness to change how we manage game in this province is a real weakness. I can’t even blame the dippers, the conservatives were as bad or worse for wildlife here.