Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2016, 09:56 PM

I've got a few fishing rods and a bunch of tackle I don't really use anymore. I'll be donating it. I know my fishing and hunting have been good therapy after I've dealt with the stress of everyday life. I've never gone through what a lot of people in Fort Mac and area have gone through. I think it's time to pass that stuff along and hope it helps someone feel better and bring some joy back into there life. It's only stuff.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
Hopefully he can squeeze in a bit of rest after the drive, praying for him and all first responders stay safe.
Anzac is being evacuated; he thinks the Emergency Center is now going to Conklin. He needs to confirm with his superior. Holy crap! What a scary situation.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:01 PM

Glad you and yours made it out okay!

I think you are okay as far as your house goes , Preacher, mostly the other end of Abssand went up as far as I know .
Sdvc was not so lucky - his is tiadt .
He only had enough time to grab the dogs and a few rifles and bug out.
We met him at the range last night and he sure was happy when Cathy informed him she managed to rescue a bottle of single malt as we left the house !
Cat
Old 05-04-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Glad you and yours made it out okay!

I think you are okay as far as your house goes , Preacher, mostly the other end of Abssand went up as far as I know .
Sdvc was not so lucky - his is tiadt .
He only had enough time to grab the dogs and a few rifles and bug out.
We met him at the range last night and he sure was happy when Cathy informed him she managed to rescue a bottle of single malt as we left the house !
Cat
Any word on your place cat? I still owe you for the skeet lessons a few years back!
Old 05-04-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
I've got a few fishing rods and a bunch of tackle I don't really use anymore. I'll be donating it. I know my fishing and hunting have been good therapy after I've dealt with the stress of everyday life. I've never gone through what a lot of people in Fort Mac and area have gone through. I think it's time to pass that stuff along and hope it helps someone feel better and bring some joy back into there life. It's only stuff.
Leo is going to fire up a new thread for donating stuff when the time comes where people can put it somewhere!
Cat
Old 05-04-2016, 10:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Anzac is being evacuated; he thinks the Emergency Center is now going to Conklin. He needs to confirm with his superior. Holy crap! What a scary situation.
Now Anzac? Are you sure?
Old 05-04-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Any word on your place cat? I still owe you for the skeet lessons a few years back!
Our place is good as well as my son's as far as I know , 'Diver , thanks for asking
The skeet lessons are free, I took too long to collect on them!!
Cat
Old 05-04-2016, 10:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Apparently a pace officer had been killed here. They are of course being very quiet about it. Pretty grim right now.
Darn, I hope your wrong Ken. There has been nothing said about a peace officer dying on the news.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Leo is going to fire up a new thread for donating stuff when the time comes where people can put it somewhere!
Cat
That good to hear. I know it's early but I will be keeping my eye out for stuff. I'm sure a lot of things will be replaced in time but it's little things that can sometimes make a big difference.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
That good to hear. I know it's early but I will be keeping my eye out for stuff. I'm sure a lot of things will be replaced in time but it's little things that can sometimes make a big difference.
Something as little as a pocket knife can mean a lot st times.
Cat
Old 05-04-2016, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Now Anzac? Are you sure?
Positive.

From their notice:
Municipality announces mandatory evacuations for Anzac, Gregoire Lake Estates and Fort McMurray First Nation
(Fort McMurray, AB – May 4, 2016) – Weather patterns are changing and we have been advised by Alberta Forestry that we need to do a mandatory evacuation of Anzac, Gregoire Lake Estates and Fort McMurray First Nation.
Buses are being assembled; RCMP is going door-to-door; and evacuation is scheduled for 11:00 p.m. Buses will depart at midnight.
Residents are urged to remain calm as there is adequate time for evacuation in a safe and timely manner.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:19 PM

Seen a pic on Facebook of the airport on fire
Old 05-04-2016, 10:27 PM

http://asset.rmwb.ca/wildfire/
Old 05-04-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Province wide state of emergency was declared boys!
About time! I feel that we should have had more resources available with better provincial planning to begin with. And should have been looking for assistance from other provinces a little sooner. Enough about that, I will rant later...

On topic, the town has been collecting some clothes. And we would like to offer a room or 2 at our place and/or trailer to any AO members in need. We are probably quite a way out of the way, but the offer stands. Message me with any needs, and we will see what we can do to help.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 05-04-2016, 10:57 PM
Banned

Got an update from my son on the Emergency Center move. For now to Lac La Biche, and re-evaluate in the morning. Apparently Cenovus near Conklin is being discussed. Tough to coordinate things when it has to move constantly. Lac La Biche makes more sense to me.. ..closer to other assets.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:00 PM

Thank your son for going in Avb3, hope he stays safe. Big thanks to all that are staying put or going in to fight and keep people safe.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:02 PM

I have a niece the lives in the Parsons Creek area , I'm not completely sure if she on Blackburn Dr , or very close to , but I got a text from her Mom ,( my sister ) at about 8:00 this evening , that houses on her street were burning .

She and hubby are currently in Edmonton with friends , after spending last night North of the city .

They came back through town this morning , and commented on things not looking as bad as they expected to see . Stopped in at the golf course ( where they work ) and helped the incoming fire crews with what ever they could , she said , gas , food , water, and golf equipment ( makes me wonder if a sand wedge is any better than a 9 iron ) then I realized she probably meant the likes of a Gator or quads etc .

Safe in Edmonton is good , but as many have to worry , will they have a house to come back to ?

Anybody heard anything current about Parsons Creek area ?

Cat was good to hear you still have a house .

And a tip of the hat to all out there helping the many in need .

We'll see what things look like in the a.m.

Bob
Old 05-04-2016, 11:08 PM

Back in 2012 the county I worked in got hit by multiple wildfires. It seemed like a week couldn't go by without two or three fires starting. Biggest fire burned through a whole town in minutes. From a first responders position, it is an absolutely horrible feeling to have to tell people and if necessary force them to leave their homes because the fire's coming and they are in danger. My heart goes out to everyone in the affected area's! Stay safe and hang in there!!
Old 05-04-2016, 11:08 PM

Stepped off the plane at 9:55 on my way to relieve another Security guard currently manning a post at one of the camps.

I have not seen faces like this is many years, and prayed even then that I would not see them ever again.

If there is a God, I pray that he is gracious and protects these tired and weary people, and that he protects the men and women who still continue to battle this fire.

The smell, the taste. The smoke is clinging to everything.

I've never been a religious man, and for that, tonight I am truly sorry.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye Willy View Post
John Craig MacIsaac
19 hrs · Fort MacKay ·

I am laying here in the dark on the floor of a camp room. My family was fortunate enough to get a room but I know not everyone was as lucky. Right now I am so jealous of my children because they have no fears, no sense of loss about everything. It'd actually calming for me to reassure my daughter that her toys don't matter, and that the few personal items we got out are more than we need.

It's funny because as I stare in the dark I keep telling myself that the words running through my head aren't true. The words "it's all gone" won't pass. But I keep reminding myself of what I know to be true more than ever. I have everything in this room with me. When I was leaving our home I looked all around and tried to decide what was important enough to take and the answer was nothing. Nothing mattered except my family. It still doesn't. And I feel so grateful because when I tried to leave town south bound I was delegates from my wife and my daughter Olivia, and I had my daughter Emma with me. I got to a point where I couldn't go further and the highway was covered in flames and I didn't think we would make it out. I looked at my angel and I have never felt such a fear. Such dread thinking I wouldn't be able to save what I hold dear. That's what I can't shake. What I can't let go. And while I trembled and shook; my little girl in all her innocence smiled at me and was laughing and wanted to play.

I'm not writing this for help or for sympathy. I have what I need and we will be just fine. I'm writing this for two reasons. One because I need to let some of this out of my head, and two because I hope it will make everyone squeeze your kids a little tighter this week. Read them an extra bed time story. Give them an ice cream and watch them smile. Call your sister you are angry at and make up, or your brother you haven't had time to chat with in a while and say hi. Tell your loved ones they are loved and make time for a family dinner. Everything else is bull****. It does not matter.

I came to Fort McMurray in 2008. I already knew when I got here I didn't like it and I was just gonna make a few dollars and leave. This place has became my home because I found out everything I heard about the town was wrong. It is friendly, happy, and a great sense of community. And it has given me everything. My wife. My children. My career. My friends. My greatest memories and milestones. And tonight as I write I still have all those things.

As I left town tonight I saw emergency workers still working. Risking their lives to get us all out. Police. Paramedics. Firefighters. And from what I have heard so far we all got out. And I have even heard we have a few new members to help rebuild our community, as some children have been born in the midst of chaos and are safe and sound in one of the work camps north of town. I saw camp workers going up to the desk of their camp trying to hand in their keys so families could have a place to stay. People smiling and people in tears, and children running and laughing. It gives me hope that people are better than we think. More caring and selfless. Kind and compassionate.

And McMurray, I don't know what's left of it really. But I know it will stand again. It will be rebuilt. Because my story of McMurray is all too common. We are young and love our home. We have built it together as it has built us and our families. And the sense of community I what I have always known from growing up in small towns like most of the people here.

I don't really know if anything here made sense, nor do I care. I do know it has helped me tremendously to put it in words, and if you have read this far thanks for your time and good night.

I was moved by this...This is so sincere that it is poetic. Thank you for being so transparent....
Old 05-04-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by het4human View Post
Stepped off the plane at 9:55 on my way to relieve another Security guard currently manning a post at one of the camps.

I have not seen faces like this is many years, and prayed even then that I would not see them ever again.

If there is a God, I pray that he is gracious and protects these tired and weary people, and that he protects the men and women who still continue to battle this fire.

The smell, the taste. The smoke is clinging to everything.

I've never been a religious man, and for that, tonight I am truly sorry.

There truly is a God and I have been praying for the safety of this entire community. I trust that you will look to Him...He is everything.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:17 PM

http://m.webcams.travel/webcam/13491...McMurray?hl=en
Old 05-04-2016, 11:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
Did the airport get it? Couldn't tell.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:44 PM

https://www.webcamgalore.com/EN/webc...ray/20908.html

Looks like it's still there

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 05-05-2016, 12:05 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye Willy View Post
John Craig MacIsaac
19 hrs · Fort MacKay ·

I am laying here in the dark on the floor of a camp room. My family was fortunate enough to get a room but I know not everyone was as lucky. Right now I am so jealous of my children because they have no fears, no sense of loss about everything. It'd actually calming for me to reassure my daughter that her toys don't matter, and that the few personal items we got out are more than we need.

It's funny because as I stare in the dark I keep telling myself that the words running through my head aren't true. The words "it's all gone" won't pass. But I keep reminding myself of what I know to be true more than ever. I have everything in this room with me. When I was leaving our home I looked all around and tried to decide what was important enough to take and the answer was nothing. Nothing mattered except my family. It still doesn't. And I feel so grateful because when I tried to leave town south bound I was delegates from my wife and my daughter Olivia, and I had my daughter Emma with me. I got to a point where I couldn't go further and the highway was covered in flames and I didn't think we would make it out. I looked at my angel and I have never felt such a fear. Such dread thinking I wouldn't be able to save what I hold dear. That's what I can't shake. What I can't let go. And while I trembled and shook; my little girl in all her innocence smiled at me and was laughing and wanted to play.

I'm not writing this for help or for sympathy. I have what I need and we will be just fine. I'm writing this for two reasons. One because I need to let some of this out of my head, and two because I hope it will make everyone squeeze your kids a little tighter this week. Read them an extra bed time story. Give them an ice cream and watch them smile. Call your sister you are angry at and make up, or your brother you haven't had time to chat with in a while and say hi. Tell your loved ones they are loved and make time for a family dinner. Everything else is bull****. It does not matter.

I came to Fort McMurray in 2008. I already knew when I got here I didn't like it and I was just gonna make a few dollars and leave. This place has became my home because I found out everything I heard about the town was wrong. It is friendly, happy, and a great sense of community. And it has given me everything. My wife. My children. My career. My friends. My greatest memories and milestones. And tonight as I write I still have all those things.

As I left town tonight I saw emergency workers still working. Risking their lives to get us all out. Police. Paramedics. Firefighters. And from what I have heard so far we all got out. And I have even heard we have a few new members to help rebuild our community, as some children have been born in the midst of chaos and are safe and sound in one of the work camps north of town. I saw camp workers going up to the desk of their camp trying to hand in their keys so families could have a place to stay. People smiling and people in tears, and children running and laughing. It gives me hope that people are better than we think. More caring and selfless. Kind and compassionate.

And McMurray, I don't know what's left of it really. But I know it will stand again. It will be rebuilt. Because my story of McMurray is all too common. We are young and love our home. We have built it together as it has built us and our families. And the sense of community I what I have always known from growing up in small towns like most of the people here.

I don't really know if anything here made sense, nor do I care. I do know it has helped me tremendously to put it in words, and if you have read this far thanks for your time and good night.
That is incredible writing John. Stay safe.

I have never cared much about wealth but tonight I wish I had ten fortunes. Enough to rebuild every house lost, every pair of shoes, every toy.

At this moment I hate being poor. Oh I know I am rich beyond measure, I have a amazing wife a loving family and awesome neighbors, but right now that is not enough.

I don't have much but what I have I will share when that time comes.
I have more fishing rods then I need, knives I will never use, and although my main income is a small pension, I can replace most if not all possessions I do have. It will take time but time is something I have an abundance of.

I only wish I had more to offer.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-05-2016, 12:17 AM
Banned

Walleye Willy that is without a doubt the best post I've ever read on this forum. We get so caught up in material things these days that we lose sight of what life is and what matters. Im so glad you all made it out safely and thanks for sharing your story!

Last edited by drhu22; 05-05-2016 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog hunter View Post
I worked through the slave fires, sounds like nothing was learned from that !! People should have been out of there long before that fire turned, stay strong folks youre battle has just begun, be patient
X2, this right here. Hope you guys took your guns and valuables. Best of luck to everyone, if you need somewhere to stay I can help, try to come through this thing without getting too jaded. The world has looked like a far more twisted place to me ever since the Slave Lake fire. About the best encouragement I can offer for now is that however bad you are hearing things are right now, the reality will probably only be about a third of the destruction that is currently reported.

Last edited by Bushleague; 05-05-2016 at 12:57 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:11 AM

Fire fighters are reporting they did very well at the airport, the big hotel is gone but the airport survived. So far anyway.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:50 AM

Old 05-05-2016, 05:59 AM

Lower temps today
Winds gusting to 50
Let's pray they are wrong on the winds!