Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2014, 08:42 PM

Default My Tur Hunt Report

Hunted With Mirbala Manafov
First week of Nov
Quba area
Borrowed his 30 06 ( wouldn't don't do that again)

Hi guys, this is a little late but better now than never. The trip went well. I am happy with the animal I got. Mirbala is top notch and you couldn't find a more fun guy to be in camp with. He is a very kind man who does all he can to make his clients happy.

The guides were very good as well. There was not much comunication with them as English was not very good. I will say they are the best at hiking I have ever seen. The only complaint I had was they would charge in on a stalk like it was nothing. I was lucky on mine but my buddy had a few screw ups that cost him becasue of their speed going in on the final stalk.

Food was outstanding! Everyone including the cook helped out all they could to make things comfortable. Becasue of winter conditions we were not allowed to stay on the mountain. Instead we stayed at his deluxe camp. This was great except for the huge mountain we had to hike from the bottom every day.

My ram was spotted from my buddy on the next mountain and he guided us in. There were about 30 rams in the bunch. We got lucky and got in above them at 150 yards. There was one big one bedded down but he was looking at us and covered by other sheep that were feeding next to him. The wind was blowing towards them and I felt I had 30 seconds to get a shot off before the whole bunch took off. I looked over the herd and saw thatt hey were all mature rams to some extent. I noticed most of them had lamb tips. I always wanted to get one that was broomed off. They were feeding in a tight group but one ram was in the open and it had broomed horns and looked to have way more mass than the rest of them. Like I said I figured we were going to get busted so I felt this ram was good and at the shot he rolled down the mountain. We aged him at 10 years old at camp. When I aksed Mirbala to talk with the guides and see if there were any bigger ones he said there were 2-3 that were a couple inches bigger but not the mass of the one I got. I felt I had made a decent decision. Mirbala figured he had about 4 inches broomed off and he was just over 33 inches. I am not sure how he compares to others for a trophy but I am happy with the choice I made.
It was a great experience and would love to go again. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

This was at the market going to Quba. Had to get some meat and vegies on the way for camp

We took this old Russion truck up to the main camp. What a rough ride that was

Here are a few Tur on the hills at a couple hundred yards.

The team taking a break.

A few mountains that we climbed