Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-10-2012, 11:11 AM

Default Best line for baitcaster?

Just got a baitcaster. Never used one before but wanted to try it out. Mostly fishing the nsr from shore till I convince the wife a boat is a good idea. Any suggestions?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:14 AM

Just about any braided line will have less memory and cast a little better. However mono-filament is cheap and you will def have a few tangles that will need to be cut out. My vote would be for a cheap braid to start with. Once your proficient at casting step up into Power pro or Suffix 832.
best of luck!

If you need any help learning to cast a bait caster Pm me.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:19 AM

Just use whatever you have around the house until you get proficient. Also I would recommend taping off the spool at your max cast till you have it mastered. This will cut down on headaches for you. I really have a love hate with mine.
Cheers and good fishin.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:27 AM

Been using braid on my Quantum Tour for three years now. I still get bird nests and tangles once in a while. I use a heavy flourocarbon leader along with the braid.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Banned

I've got an Abu 5600 spooled up with 40lb power pro.

Works great. What kind of reel are you using?

If you use a lob style cast as opposed to whipping it out there you'll have fewer problems with backlash starting out.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:47 AM

on my low profiles i run 30 pound power pro and 20 pound power pro and on my round baitcaster i run 65 pound hi vis tuff line. I like the hi vis for watching for very subtle bites. seems to help me
Old 05-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Noble View Post
Just got a baitcaster. Never used one before but wanted to try it out. Mostly fishing the nsr from shore till I convince the wife a boat is a good idea. Any suggestions?
I have braid on all of mine but one i have mono on that just because ...lol

but here is the best thing to know....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDI5kwR5zjc

have fun.....
Old 05-10-2012, 12:28 PM

braided line. I always let me line drop freely a few feet before I cast to make sure the tension is right too. Been a few times I switch from a light lure to a heavy weight and forgot to change the tension and would get bad backlash, you'll learn quickly once that happens :P. Check out that video that horsetrader sent, usually you can see a loop that is resisting the line and if you just give the loop a little pull it will fix itself.

What kind did you get?
Old 05-10-2012, 01:14 PM

I agree braided is best they have a new fused bradied line by suffix works great!
Old 05-10-2012, 02:00 PM

Braid is king for sure! howver I spool enough Mono/Flouro on first to stop the braid from "biting" into the spool as much and thereby eliminate some of the backlashes as well.

Only other tip I can suggest is to pick up a few of the smallest crochet needles you can find (dollar store $.50). Great for picking out those loops before they become a problem.

Cheers.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:04 PM

Return it and buy a decent spin cast unless your bob izumi and by the sounds of it you arent.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:05 PM

I use suffix 832 ghost, Awsome.
if you like mono PLINE Halo 12 lb works awsome.
Gloomis IMX 6.6 Med heavy with 200 Shimano DC, can cast a long ways with 1/4 ounce jig with 832 15lb
Old 05-10-2012, 02:16 PM

Just to be a little different.
For the North Sask River, at least around here, I use mono or flouro. The braid at this time of year picks up lots of debris on the line, while with the smother mono or flouro it slips off. One other possible advantage if you will is that when you get hopelessly snagged on the bottom it's easier to break off than heavy braid without cutting your hands or having to cut it off at the rod tip.

(also seem to catch less poplar fuzz with the mono lines when that season comes)

On lakes I generally use Braid.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:48 PM

Thanks for the advice crosbyfan. I have spinning gear and wanted to try something out. As for everyone else thank you. I should have mentioned the reel is a quantum av7 advantage
Old 05-10-2012, 08:10 PM

Sufix 832, nuff said.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:18 PM

I just bought my first baitcaster as well and although haven't tried it in the real world, I have found the new "nano" berkly line works well....casting in the basement and backyard. The backlashes are easily taken care of because the stuff is like silk....oh and knots are a &#@ch to tie...which is good for untangling birdsnests but when your tying a leader on....