Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-11-2010, 09:39 PM

Default Sleddin' for coyotes...

Has anyone ever tried going from calling set to calling set using a snowmobile. Does the noise bother them, and if not the noise, the ripe smell of exhaust. If you do have luck how far from your sled are you before you set up?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:07 PM

Hunting coyotes on a snowmobile? Hmmm......

Old 02-11-2010, 10:20 PM

ya so I have never hunted dogs on sleds but I definetly dont think that would work.Coyotes are very skittish and it is hard enough finding a good stand and setting up to call a coyote in.Without thoughs two horrible variables.I have hunted coyotes since I was a kid and coyotes arent stupid and so dont be lazy and spot out some places then park your truck and walk a half a mile in and you will be successful but dont give up to early cause it may take a few tries to get good.good luck
Old 02-11-2010, 11:56 PM

Enough snowmobilers harass coyotes that I think that a half ways smart coyote will be very leary of heading towards where a snow machine shut down.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:26 PM

Default confirming what I figured

Just throwin that out there, there are a few spots that youd be able to cover ground that way..... I know in the fall if Im ever travelling to and from a hunting spot I use my quad, and walk aways away from it before setting up. I actually rattle or call moose if im on a tea break... Ive had whitetails run strait towards me, and not want to leave me alone after rattling from a quad that had just been shut down with fan running! My biggest buck to date was taken on a hunt where I parked my quad way to close 200 yards away from my tree stand, I rattled him in to and he walked 50 yards from my quad whille circling around, I took him at about 20 yards, last light. Coyotes are in there breeding season now, just wondering if they get as silly as out friend the horney whitetail sometimes does... (i do hunt deer deep in bush country where im sure they dont see alot if any hunters)
Old 02-12-2010, 02:18 PM

Doesn't work, I live by the Red Deer River and have tried numerous times using my quad on the river, figuring it is quiet enough but they are a little smarter than that, I can generally locate them with the howler but they just won't commit, all you end up doing is educating them for next time...

The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin...
Old 02-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Banned

Default Sleds and Yotes

This time of year the yotes are dumb so you can likely find them in the open and if you can catch them in powdery snow you can run them down with your snow machine then club them with a tire iron. Iknow guys in thew states that do this and it looks like a lot of fun for everyone but the coyote(but who cares about themanyway)
Old 02-12-2010, 02:28 PM

The only way you will get a coyote using a sled is if you run it over. i.e WALK!! Like the above posts say if they hear it coming they will be in the next county before you even have a chance to pull the riffle out. I have seen coyotes in the far north (North of Ft Mac) though that didnt know what a human was and would come in very close. To make a long story short, walk in, set up and call.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Moose View Post
This time of year the yotes are dumb so you can likely find them in the open and if you can catch them in powdery snow you can run them down with your snow machine then club them with a tire iron. Iknow guys in thew states that do this and it looks like a lot of fun for everyone but the coyote(but who cares about themanyway)

not trying to be the police here but I wouldn't do that. You'll get charged for harassiment of wildlife and possibly charged for hunting from a motorized vehicle.

Just a friendly heads up thats all

A hunter is more than a predator, a hunter is a provider...a caretaker...a leader.
I will never make excuses for who I am... It's the way I was born... I'm a
hunter... A BONE COLLECTOR!!!"
Old 02-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Banned

I thought that I'd let you know that I was sledding yesterday and on the way home I saw a yote the next quarter over. I stopped the sled to look and he took right off as soon as I did. Nope, they don't seem to like skidoos too much!