Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2019, 08:49 AM

Default Roof de-icer query

We have a lower slope roof with big skylights and in the winter water melts off the skylights and forms ice dams. I want to put something up that will hopefully fix the need for me to go up on the roof in winter.

I have seen roof de-icing cables and a mesh product once.

Is anyone using something that they could share if they are happy with the performance?

Thanks

Sun
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-16-2019, 11:10 AM

roof rake i got one from costco, or they have to those electric plug in de-icer you can mount on the roof , i would put one dedicated to the area where the icedam forms and run one from the skylight down to eaves.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:42 AM

This is what I use. No need for a ladder, just toss them up from the ground or through an open window. Do not wait too long as it can be used as a preventative measure before there is too much ice. It makes channels under the ice so water will not dam.

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/60-pi...lets/p/5548300
Attached Files
File Type: txt Ice Pucks.txt (43 Bytes, 36 views)

Last edited by DOGFISH; 10-16-2019 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 10-16-2019, 12:20 PM

I used a set of those cables that zig zag along the roof above the eaves at our last house. They worked pretty good at keeping the dams from forming. Just plugged them in every once in a while and didn't need to run them continuously.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:06 PM
Banned

Whenever we had a winter with heavy snowfall, especially if there were a lot of freeze thaw cycles we'd get ice dams and a couple of years had bad leaks in our living room.
Installed the zig-zag cables about 10 years ago. Never had ice dams since then and not a hint of a leak.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:06 PM

Default Update

Purchased an 80 foot heater cord from Canadian Tire.

Ran the end along the gutter and part way down the down spout. With the remaining length I ran it down slope of the skylights in a VVVVV pattern. Also ran up the middle between windows.

I plug it in after a snowfall. Run it while the snow melts off the skylight then unplug.

No ice dams so seems to be doing the trick.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-24-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGFISH View Post
This is what I use. No need for a ladder, just toss them up from the ground or through an open window. Do not wait too long as it can be used as a preventative measure before there is too much ice. It makes channels under the ice so water will not dam.

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/60-pi...lets/p/5548300
Seems like a job for a modified drone