Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2019, 12:26 PM

I get those wanting to keep police bashing to a minimum and that we are only getting one side of the story here, but also turning a completely blind-eye to police conduct is how this sort of crap happens to begin with. You can support and respect the RCMP while also being critical of their actions.

I would typically never condone this, but given the lack of clarity on this 14 day grace period legislation, perhaps Global Edmonton or somebody would be interested in the story to clear it up for everyone. They could run a quick segment where they have your son tell his side of the story, maybe reach out to the RCMP for comment on this interaction, speak to a traffic lawyer about what the laws say in this sort of situation, and boom nobody is confused any longer. If it turns out the RCMP is totally out of line, they'll be sure to straighten out their member(s) after getting shamed like that on the news.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:02 PM

I'm sure it will get thrown out but like you said it's at the expense of a days pay. The money people are out should be reimbursed when these bogus tickets get thrown out. I'm sure with lesser values tickets, $100-200, people just pay because it's cheaper that losing a days pay. It's definitely not fair. But what is these days I guess.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:33 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
I get those wanting to keep police bashing to a minimum and that we are only getting one side of the story here, but also turning a completely blind-eye to police conduct is how this sort of crap happens to begin with. You can support and respect the RCMP while also being critical of their actions.

I would typically never condone this, but given the lack of clarity on this 14 day grace period legislation, perhaps Global Edmonton or somebody would be interested in the story to clear it up for everyone. They could run a quick segment where they have your son tell his side of the story, maybe reach out to the RCMP for comment on this interaction, speak to a traffic lawyer about what the laws say in this sort of situation, and boom nobody is confused any longer. If it turns out the RCMP is totally out of line, they'll be sure to straighten out their member(s) after getting shamed like that on the news.
You mention global Edmonton as in the news.... Accurate reporting, editing.....omg....traffic lawyer.....lets get the car salesman involved that sold the young fella the ride....now we got all parties involved to ensure accuracies.....freakin' sitcom!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-17-2019, 02:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
You mention global Edmonton as in the news.... Accurate reporting, editing.....omg....traffic lawyer.....lets get the car salesman involved that sold the young fella the ride....now we got all parties involved to ensure accuracies.....freakin' sitcom!
drama 101 , Lmao. how true

Maybe Traffic tickets are far beyond the ability of the RCMP and the Provincial Courts to manage minor traffic offences,,,

It is time to turn HighwayTraffic Magment over to the United Nations ,,,
Old 09-17-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaft View Post
I would hazard a guess there is more to this story. As mentioned above, post the section number for the offence(s). I can tell u there is no single $600 ticket for what u have described. I have a pretty good idea what likely happened but will wait to see what the op replies with

There are offences for operating a unregistered vehicle and misuse of a license plate which are $310 each respectively. Again, no single ticket for that amount, sorry....
I agree with this. What were the offence(s) your kid was written up for. Can you post the Section Numbers. I would suspect as well there is more to the story.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:33 AM

Right or wrong, when an officer is dealing with a young person they should be a little more lenient as that may go along way with a young person’s view of the Police in general. Cultivating a proper relationship is imperative for future dealings and respect !
Old 09-18-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI 6.5 View Post
I agree with this. What were the offence(s) your kid was written up for. Can you post the Section Numbers. I would suspect as well there is more to the story.
Dead wrong, the both of you. $600 is actually pretty lenient for no insurance or registration. My dad got caught with this when his car wouldn't start one morning, so he took a his old one to work. $2400 or something like 300 hours of community service... which is pretty much standard in such cases.

I don't get all these guys that want to bash the OP. Sure there are a lot of people bad mouthing cops and giving one sided, half true stories. If one actually reads through these posts, the OP's kid was doing something entirely legal, no corners were cut, no mistakes were made. The officer was simply wrong.

You can argue whether the entire police force deserves to be painted with the same brush, but at this point all possible angles that I can even think of have been covered, the OP is not in the wrong.

Last edited by Bushleague; 09-18-2019 at 05:36 AM.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lever View Post
Right or wrong, when an officer is dealing with a young person they should be a little more lenient as that may go along way with a young person’s view of the Police in general. Cultivating a proper relationship is imperative for future dealings and respect !
Meh....in today's society people simply think it is an entitlement to drive, work, etc but when the boss, law, teacher intervenes to Input corrective actions then it becomes an issue of abuse, wrong doing, etc....no to little accountability and integrity today....very sad but very true.

Old 09-18-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Meh....in today's society people simply think it is an entitlement to drive, work, etc but when the boss, law, teacher intervenes to Input corrective actions then it becomes an issue of abuse, wrong doing, etc....no to little accountability and integrity today....very sad but very true.
What happened to "Next?"
Old 09-18-2019, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
What happened to "Next?"
Sorry......next!......promise

Old 09-18-2019, 07:21 AM
Banned

It wasn’t long ago when I had a construction crew run into my truck and put a scratch in my bumper, the op reminded me that there are members dealing with the loss of family members and such, and I was whining over a scratched front bumper.... which costs more than $600 to fix and I had nothing to do with. When put into perspective, it would seem whining because of getting fines for breaking the law is even higher up the “Stop your whining” scale.

Just a reminder, careful while throwing stones
Old 09-18-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
It wasn’t long ago when I had a construction crew run into my truck and put a scratch in my bumper, the op reminded me that there are members dealing with the loss of family members and such, and I was whining over a scratched front bumper.... which costs more than $600 to fix and I had nothing to do with. When put into perspective, it would seem whining because of getting fines for breaking the law is even higher up the “Stop your whining” scale.

Just a reminder, careful while throwing stones
But have you lost respect for all construction crews?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-18-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lever View Post
I disagree. When wrong as a youth and got caught the lesson was in accountability.

The result. Don’t do it again.

The importance on the police side is consistency and fairness.

Fairness must be tough on a cop as almost everyone refuses to accept accountability.

I learned this young. Parents seem to fail at teaching this or kids are taught they never lose and always win so they enter the adult world at a loss as to why they are responsible for their actions.

I am not judging OP situation. Just a an overall observation.

True story.

I was driving down a highway. Two way single lanes. Got stuck behind 4 semis and camper doing 95 in a 100 road. Coming to a hill with a long passing stretch. Got the speed up fast. Passed quickly. Foot came off accelerator at the same time an RCMP car came over the hill ahead.

He went passed and looked at me. By then I was over the hill. I pulled over stopped and waited. He came screaming over the hill and had to slam on his brakes. He walked up and asked what I was doing. I said I just passed the slow vehicles and was decelerating.

He left and came back with the lowest ticket possible. He could of been very harsh with my speed. He knew I respected him first by stopping.

Moral. I accepted responsibility. Cop was reasonable and fair.

Therefore I stand with anyone who says cops are great. A few bad apples should not drive the narrative.

Sun
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-18-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
More years ago than I can count.... (especially the ones on my payroll).
Old 10-15-2019, 05:09 PM

Exclamation The RCMP needs to be overhauled or replaced

Any update on the ticket situation?

Continuing the general theme of loss of respect for the RCMP:
As some are aware, the questionable behaviour within the RCMP is not limited to the recent Sherwood Park or Strathmore detachment's treatment of civilians; they extend the abuse to their own members in Lloydminster.
Quote:
Mountie files lawsuit against RCMP alleging 'malicious prosecution' after being cleared of misconduct
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...unal-1.5318147

Quote:
At the end of Manj's five-day tribunal hearing, Gerry Annetts, who presided over it, said the evidence from Manj's bosses Chief Supt. Shahin Mehdizadeh and Chief Supt. Wendell Reimer was "unreliable."

Annetts also ruled that evidence from the RCMP's witness, Staff Sgt. Sarah Knelsen, was "some of the most biased, leading, unreliable statements I have ever seen," according to notes provided by Manj's lawyer from the oral decision.

Annetts also apparently wished Manj a better experience with the RCMP than he has experienced over the past few years.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 10-15-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I disagree. When wrong as a youth and got caught the lesson was in accountability.

The result. Don’t do it again.

The importance on the police side is consistency and fairness...
Sun
Great story, also shows the driving culture in Canada, and LEOs only caring about speeding tickets.

When was the last time anyone seen/heard about police/rcmp pulling over drivers for going too slow? not having lights on after dark? following too close on the highway so others have to scream past 5 slow moving vehicles because there's no gaps in between? Has everyone ever heard about the ticket other than speeding and tinted windows? Even distracted driving - only watching for cell phones... How about all those driving around with the goddamn dogs in their laps? How about ticketing and arresting protesters on the bridge?
Old 10-15-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
Great story, also shows the driving culture in Canada, and LEOs only caring about speeding tickets.

When was the last time anyone seen/heard about police/rcmp pulling over drivers for going too slow? not having lights on after dark? following too close on the highway so others have to scream past 5 slow moving vehicles because there's no gaps in between? Has everyone ever heard about the ticket other than speeding and tinted windows? Even distracted driving - only watching for cell phones... How about all those driving around with the goddamn dogs in their laps? How about ticketing and arresting protesters on the bridge?
You are asking for more than they can give....
Old 10-15-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
You are asking for more than they can give....
Ahahahaaaa omg
Old 10-15-2019, 09:18 PM
Banned

Court date is Dec 2
A client of mine, a ten year EPS veteran is going with us because he’s looked into it, including the paperwork my son was carrying ( proper insurance and the up to date registration of his previous vehicle...the only thing he didn’t have was the bill of sale which he’d left at work) and he says it’s B.S.
At most he should have received a $230 fine for not having the bill of sale on him with a provision for it being dismissed if he produced the properly dated bill of sale within 48 hours.
I’ll report the outcome after we’ve been to court.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Court date is Dec 2
A client of mine, a ten year EPS veteran is going with us because he’s looked into it, including the paperwork my son was carrying ( proper insurance and the up to date registration of his previous vehicle...the only thing he didn’t have was the bill of sale which he’d left at work) and he says it’s B.S.
At most he should have received a $230 fine for not having the bill of sale on him with a provision for it being dismissed if he produced the properly dated bill of sale within 48 hours.
I’ll report the outcome after we’ve been to court.
You're organized & have done some research. A huge lack of judgement on the cop's part! They went from respected to non-respected when they lost the ability to see a good kid with a small mistake, warn him & life goes on. That concept applies to most of their actions now. That & the blue shield which gave them their sense of power, arrogance, & entitlement. They hate cell phones...........

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 10-16-2019, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
The way I see it, if you don't want to stand behind law enforcement feel free to stand in front of them.

Probably the safest place to be in the event of gunfire.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Farmer View Post
You can't lose respect for the entire organization because one of their officers wrote an incorrect ticket

Maybe not but we sure can when High River, Hutterite Turkey operations, and a 2 week pursuit of teenagers across 4 provinces happen.

This isn't your grandpa's police force anymore.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Maybe not but we sure can when High River, Hutterite Turkey operations, and a 2 week pursuit of teenagers across 4 provinces happen.

This isn't your grandpa's police force anymore.
No because all little punks would get a boot in the butt from the cops and a long walk home....then you answered to dad....where is the car?

Today....well dam if you did and dam if you don't.....toooooooo much oh whoe is me.

Old 10-16-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
So...last Monday (Sept 9) my kid buys a new (to him) car.
Get the insurance sorted out and switches the plate from his old vehicle to the new with the intention of getting the registration sorted out this week.
RCMP stopped him on the Henday yesterday because when randomly running the plate it didn't come up with the car he was driving.
Showed the cop the insurance and explained that he was getting the registration today...seven days after purchase and within the two week grace period...as stated by the Highway Traffic Safety act.
The cop told him that was wrong, the AMA who told him he had two weeks was wrong and issued him a $600 ticket.
I called the Sherwood Park RCMP and they too told me there was no grace period...everyone who thought so (including the Alberta Government I guess) is wrong.
Talked to a friend who is a Staff Sargent with EPS and his exact words were...'that cop is an idiot'...that at most EPS would have issued a warning with the provision my kid show up at an EPS station with proof he got the registration completed.
It does appear the RCMP do think they are gods.
So we'll lose a days pay to show up in court to have this thrown out.
I'd just go down to the office and straighten it out, at my convenience.

Grizz
Old 10-16-2019, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I'd just go down to the office and straighten it out, at my convenience.

Grizz
Tried that.
Went to the courthouse in Sherwood Park...their response...’that’s what court is for’.
So from every indication (including EPS) it will be thrown out.
Of course I’m sure the RCMP won’t offer to cover our time off from work 🤬
Old 11-02-2019, 10:44 PM

We used to have a few good yellow legs here. And one of the best ones I have had the honour to know. Until a new DICK came back home to roost. The man I had respect for, Would haul your kids azz home after raking it over the coals. Rip your kids azz in front of you and tell them what could happen.The new DICK made sure the old school one was transfered out of here. Then written up for not following procedure and having the kid charged for minor stuff.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 11-03-2019, 12:03 AM
Gone Hunting

I've encountered good cops and bad cops in every force I've dealt with.

I've received tickets I didn't deserve and others I did deserve.
And I have seen lack of accountability in the RCMP and other forces.

But I have to say, the lack of accountability is not the fault of the officer so much as it is the fault of those higher up the ladder.
More then that, it exists in most if not all the professional sectors.

I suffer from an incurable lung condition that doctors can't or won't explain.
I have good reason to believe it is the result of misdiagnoses, but without a doctor to say that, there is nothing I can do about it. And they won't or can't.

I've suffered with a ruptured disk in my back, the result of bullying while fighting forest fires for Forestry when I was 16 years old.
I have never received one penny in compensation and have been told many times since it happened that there was nothing that could be done to fix it or even improve it.
Yet sports stars suffer such injuries and get it fixed.

When I was 18 I worked on a government sponsored training job.
I have yet to be paid in full for the time I put in.
At first I sought payment but the government always claimed they could not issue a check because there was a problem with the paperwork, at their end. Eventually time was almost up so I talked to a lawyer. He told me there was nothing he could do. He said, so long as the government promised to pay they could not be sued for non payment.

About twenty years ago I paid in full for insurance, , , , ,

I could tell a lot more stories of officials in government and in business not being held accountable but you get the picture.

I'm sure many will say all those were my fault, because I did not go though the proper channels. I would agree that I probably did not go the proper channels. How could I. I had no knowledge of what I needed to do and still don't.

If a thug throws a man off a wharf and he drowns, is it the victims fault because he didn't know how to swim, and/or didn't have a life jacket on?

Like someone here said, ignorance of the law, or the proper channels is no excuse, for the common man, but it is for professionals it seems.

As for the RCMP I respect the good ones, and there are many. I don't respect the bullies with badges no matter what force they are on or what profession they are in. Fortunately they are the minority.

Unfortunately even one can make a persons life a living hell.

Does anyone remember the Martensville case from back in 1992?

To the best of my knowledge the only one of the dozens charged to receive any compensation was a Police office.
In the end all accusations were proven to be false.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-03-2019, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Well according to the pm, construction crews are detrimental to the towns they work in.....
Old 11-03-2019, 07:31 AM

If your son told the officer about the 14 day grace period , all it would have taken the officer is a 2 minute call to the detachment to clarify this law. I would be willing to bet that he could have pulled it up on his in car computer. This officer needs to have his back side reamed out by his superiors or better yet , a judge !

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:34 AM

Been down this road a few times with the RCMP. I will admit they have a tough job to do, but standing over a young adult or child however you see it and handing them a $600 ticket over a license plate infraction is wrong in every way. The RCMP are supposed to be there to help not hinder. I’m sure the child was nervous already for being pulled over and it’s not like he had just been caught speeding or messing around. “ just ran the plate “ Even though the officer thought a law had been broken ( and it had not been ) he could have had a conversation with the boy and issued a warning. Still not right I know but leaves the cash penance out of the equation and does not anger 90% of the AO world. And how in the world does improper registration net you a $600 fine !!! Geez.