Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2019, 01:56 PM

Default Installing a Fan in a Smoker

I replied to the smoker recipe and mods thread but no response so I will create on here and see if I can get some traction:

Was lucky enough to get a fridge smoker from an awesome guy on this forum. Now I would like to modify it to equalize and set the temperature. For the temperature, I wired up an Inkbird PID controller which now keeps the temperature within 1F of the set point. For the PID, I wired it up with 3 switches, two plugins, and mounted in a Pelican container. Really slick setup so I can bring it inside when not smoking. The three switches are one to turn on the PID, one to turn on the burner plug in and one to turn on the fan plug in.

Now I am trying to equalize the temperature throughout the smoker. I picked up two fan blades from Acklands and two motors from AMRE. Wondering what everyone's thoughts are for the location of the fans. Thinking 6-12" above the burner (burner is on the bottom) yet at least 24" below the meat so it doesn't dry it too much. Anyone have thoughts to the fan location?
Old 10-15-2019, 01:57 PM

If any interest, I can post some pictures of the PID control and box that I put together.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:19 PM

Yes please

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2019, 03:33 PM
Banned

Auckland’s has lots of little 110 motors with long shafts that will go through a fridge, i mounted mine in a electrical 4 plug box on the outside of the fridge, drilled a 3/8 hole, mounted the motor and put the fan on the inside, they have several fans to choose from that fit onto a 1/4 shaft
Old 10-15-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Auckland’s has lots of little 110 motors with long shafts that will go through a fridge, i mounted mine in a electrical 4 plug box on the outside of the fridge, drilled a 3/8 hole, mounted the motor and put the fan on the inside, they have several fans to choose from that fit onto a 1/4 shaft
That exactly what I did. Got the motor from AMRE (bathroom fan motor) though as the shaft was longer than the ones Acklands had. Where abouts in relation to the food and heating element did you install the fan on the inside?

Do you leave the fan outside? Was thinking about mounting with wing nuts so I can just remove it when needed as I leave the smoker outside.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
That exactly what I did. Got the motor from AMRE (bathroom fan motor) though as the shaft was longer than the ones Acklands had. Where abouts in relation to the food and heating element did you install the fan on the inside?

Do you leave the fan outside? Was thinking about mounting with wing nuts so I can just remove it when needed as I leave the smoker outside.
I think mounting the fan on the outside would work the best and probably give the motor a greater lifespan.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
I think mounting the fan on the outside would work the best and probably give the motor a greater lifespan.
Yes that way the motor can cool. More looking for the location of where to put the fan blades inside. Top, bottom, side. Above burners, below burners. Etc.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post

Bathroom fan moves waaaaaay too much air, I put one fan on backwards to pull cold air over the motor then put a push fan on the inside with a shroud. Why would a person put a hole it your box the circumference of your fan, makes no sence when it only needs to be a bit bigger than the shaft. A fan that big will just blow all your smoke and heat out the exhaust
Old 10-15-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Bathroom fan moves waaaaaay too much air, I put one fan on backwards to pull cold air over the motor then put a push fan on the inside with a shroud. Why would a person put a hole it your box the circumference of your fan, makes no sence when it only needs to be a bit bigger than the shaft. A fan that big will just blow all your smoke and heat out the exhaust
Thinking one of those heating duct fans is an option, I put one in a dehydrator I built.

Grizz
Old 10-15-2019, 08:16 PM

I have my smoker set up from and old steel fridge. 3” hole cut in top with a 4” pipe & muffler cover for an adjustable damper. Heat comes from a masterbilt electric smoker 1500w element, although I have used an electric hot plate on occasion. Smoke comes from an Amazing Smoker. Heat &/or temperature is handled through an Auber plug n play contoller. Have the contoller thermostat as well as an independent thermostat on the opposite side of smoker. Very little difference between two thermometer readings. The Auber contoller does an excellent job and ant time I have needed repairs or wanted to make alterations the have been first class to deal with. Can easily handle 20lbs of hanging sausage, or 4 racks of fish.

This set up in in an heated shop, next to a man door, and most smoke is readily drawn out of door. Works great in cold winter days or hot summer days. i Have never seen a need for a fan, as once the smoker heats up it has very good draw through the chimney, and I feel heat is consistent all throughout smoker body. Start smoking with damper wide open and close it down once internal temperature is where you want it. Easy to feel heat coming out chimney, or see
the smoke. I used this set up extensively for smoking sausage,
bacon, fish turkey. The programable controller has been pretty much fool proof, And to me is the key to making the smoker work as it should.

However for jerky a fan in the fridge setup would be a great addition, as you want to dry out the meat. Recommend you set up fan on a reostat, as you likely will need to experiment with the fan speed, especially if you are smoking the jerky. I make my jerky in the convection oven, without smoke.

What I have with the fridge smoker is not the best set up for hotter smoking, say 250+ degrees for brisket, pulled pork, etc, and for that I use a masterbilt electric smoker.

Good luck with your set up. I know it took me a few attempts and a lot of reading on the internet before I got my smoker to where I was happy with it.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
I wasn’t meaning to do that. A bathroom fan motor is what I purchased. Not the whole fan. I am going to drill a hole and mount on outside as well. Bathroom fans use C frame motors. The propeller size is what controls the airflow. I picked up a 3” propeller. I think it is 60scfm.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offwork View Post
I have my smoker set up from and old steel fridge. 3” hole cut in top with a 4” pipe & muffler cover for an adjustable damper. Heat comes from a masterbilt electric smoker 1500w element, although I have used an electric hot plate on occasion. Smoke comes from an Amazing Smoker. Heat &/or temperature is handled through an Auber plug n play contoller. Have the contoller thermostat as well as an independent thermostat on the opposite side of smoker. Very little difference between two thermometer readings. The Auber contoller does an excellent job and ant time I have needed repairs or wanted to make alterations the have been first class to deal with. Can easily handle 20lbs of hanging sausage, or 4 racks of fish.

This set up in in an heated shop, next to a man door, and most smoke is readily drawn out of door. Works great in cold winter days or hot summer days. i Have never seen a need for a fan, as once the smoker heats up it has very good draw through the chimney, and I feel heat is consistent all throughout smoker body. Start smoking with damper wide open and close it down once internal temperature is where you want it. Easy to feel heat coming out chimney, or see
the smoke. I used this set up extensively for smoking sausage,
bacon, fish turkey. The programable controller has been pretty much fool proof, And to me is the key to making the smoker work as it should.

However for jerky a fan in the fridge setup would be a great addition, as you want to dry out the meat. Recommend you set up fan on a reostat, as you likely will need to experiment with the fan speed, especially if you are smoking the jerky. I make my jerky in the convection oven, without smoke.

What I have with the fridge smoker is not the best set up for hotter smoking, say 250+ degrees for brisket, pulled pork, etc, and for that I use a masterbilt electric smoker.

Good luck with your set up. I know it took me a few attempts and a lot of reading on the internet before I got my smoker to where I was happy with it.
Thank you for all the information! I picked up a 6 input Inkbird thermometer. Will check to confirm the temperature is evenly distributed before I install anything. I have a small masterbuilt and it was brutal for temperature distribution. Brutal for temperature control as well. Assumed the large one would be the same so I opted for the fan and the PID controller.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:29 PM

In my Bradley I mounted a bathroom fan motor on the back with a 2" fan in the center just above the burner, it worked fine even heat throughout the smoker.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
In my Bradley I mounted a bathroom fan motor on the back with a 2" fan in the center just above the burner, it worked fine even heat throughout the smoker.
Does it effect how quickly the wood burns or anything noticeable? I got the idea of a fan from the Bradley and smoking meat forums. Just wasn’t sure how many people on there are from Canada and wanted some local experience!
Old 10-15-2019, 08:39 PM

Actually I don't have a fan on my bigger smoker. I use just convection as there are vents bottom and top that can be adjusted. I find the air flow adequate.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:44 PM

No the fan was above the smoke dissipater plate, actually in a Bradley there isn't many options either the racks or other internal parts are in the way. Look in between the bacon. I turn the fan off before I open the door or I get a face full of smoke.

Last edited by bat119; 10-15-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:03 PM

Left switch turns on the PID.

Middle switch turns on the burners or anything I plug into the outlets which the PID can control. PID sends power to switch and switch lets the burners turn on. This way I can see temperature without the burner coming on.

Right switch turns on the second set of plugs. Will be a fan or anything else I decide to plug into it which needs independent power from the PID.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2019, 09:59 PM

Thank you for all the information! I picked up a 6 input Inkbird thermometer. Will check to confirm the temperature is evenly distributed before I install anything. I have a small masterbuilt and it was brutal for temperature distribution. Brutal for temperature control as well. Assumed the large one would be the same so I opted for the fan and the PID controller.[/QUOTE]

I do have 6 x 1” vent holes on bottom of fridge with air intake controlled by a sliding cover. Typically vents & damper wide open at start and closed about 1/2 when desired first stage of internal temperature reached (usually 130 to 140 degrees). Also see my initial typing erred, as it showed smoker set up was in heated shop, should read Unheated, uninsulated and well vented shop. Also put the fridge on some heavy steel casters and can move it very easily on the concrete floor in shop.

My masterbilt smoker also has very questionable heat control, and I suspect poor heat distribution so would not recommend it for smoking sausage, bacon, but it is fine for hotter smoking like brisket, pork shoulder etc.

Also really like the Amazing Smoker for putting out smoke. After an hour so of heat, Fill up amazing smoker about 1/2 full, which is about a double handful of traeger pellets, and that gives you an hour or so of nice gentle smoke. I know I would not want too much air movement in smoker when smoking, just the gentle draw through chiminey.

I leave two remote probe thermometers inserted in the meat being smoked, eg upper limit set for 152 degrees for sausage. Having two thermometers at different location in smoker Helps to verify the evenness of heat distribution or inconsistency.

You are well on the way to having a reliable consistent heat source with the controller set up. Now just To figure out the volume and speed of air you want to force in to get even heat distribution. I think the venting size and location will be important in both the heat distribution and how you want the smoke to be moved within the smoker body.

Good luck
Old 10-29-2019, 05:14 PM

Default Installing a Fan in a Smoker

Quote:
Thank you for all the information! I picked up a 6 input Inkbird thermometer. Will check to confirm the temperature is evenly distributed before I install anything. I have a small masterbuilt and it was brutal for temperature distribution. Brutal for temperature control as well. Assumed the large one would be the same so I opted for the fan and the PID controller.

I do have 6 x 1” vent holes on bottom of fridge with air intake controlled by a sliding cover. Typically vents & damper wide open at start and closed about 1/2 when desired first stage of internal temperature reached (usually 130 to 140 degrees). Also see my initial typing erred, as it showed smoker set up was in heated shop, should read Unheated, uninsulated and well vented shop. Also put the fridge on some heavy steel casters and can move it very easily on the concrete floor in shop.

My masterbilt smoker also has very questionable heat control, and I suspect poor heat distribution so would not recommend it for smoking sausage, bacon, but it is fine for hotter smoking like brisket, pork shoulder etc.

Also really like the Amazing Smoker for putting out smoke. After an hour so of heat, Fill up amazing smoker about 1/2 full, which is about a double handful of traeger pellets, and that gives you an hour or so of nice gentle smoke. I know I would not want too much air movement in smoker when smoking, just the gentle draw through chiminey.

I leave two remote probe thermometers inserted in the meat being smoked, eg upper limit set for 152 degrees for sausage. Having two thermometers at different location in smoker Helps to verify the evenness of heat distribution or inconsistency.

You are well on the way to having a reliable consistent heat source with the controller set up. Now just To figure out the volume and speed of air you want to force in to get even heat distribution. I think the venting size and location will be important in both the heat distribution and how you want the smoke to be moved within the smoker body.

Good luck[/QUOTE]

Made some cheese on the weekend and it worked awesome. Used a tube smoker I got from AliExpress. Just a nice slow smoke. Temperature was within 2 degrees throughout the smoker. Don’t think a fan would do any better.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:15 PM

And the final product.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:23 PM

Looks great.

If you can smoke cheese like that You have nailed the heat and smoke control in your smoker.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Looks great.

If you can smoke cheese like that You have nailed the heat and smoke control in your smoker.
Hopefully get a moose this weekend and make some sausage and jerky in the coming weeks. Hopefully cook nice and even rather than all over the map like my masterbuilt was! Masterbuilt used to overshoot by 20-30 degrees. Now I want to take it apart and hook up to my pid and see how well I can make it work.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:46 PM

I pulleda fan out of a convection over. Drilled 3 holes and mounted it in my smoker. Put a rheostat on it. Best mod i have done. No more changing racks around either and helped keep my AMPS burning consistently
Old 10-29-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
I pulleda fan out of a convection over. Drilled 3 holes and mounted it in my smoker. Put a rheostat on it. Best mod i have done. No more changing racks around either and helped keep my AMPS burning consistently
How big is your smoker? My racks were about 2 ft apart and almost the exact temperature within error. I was surprised to see that’s as my masterbuilt was all over the map. This one does have really good air draw though. Does the fan dry any of the food out at all?
Old 10-29-2019, 09:41 PM

I prefer making jerky in our convection oven vs smoker. Have a 6 rack jerky stand over a pan which just fits in oven. Does about 10 lbs of slices 1/4” Thick , ground or muscle meat. Put it in after supper, prop oven door open with a fork, set oven temp to 170 F Convection heat, go to bed, and early next morning it is done. Pretty much fool proof. In my smoker which does not have a fan, had to baby sit and usually felt it necessary to move the racks around. Lot more work and not nearly as consistent results. But I think the difference between my smoker vs oven is the fan in the convection oven. So installing a fan in your smoker would be a very good idea for jerky. Making jerky requires getting the moisture out of meat, which air movement from a fan would greatly help to accomplish. There is lots of jerky made in Cabela’s dehydrators which is essentially a series of vented racks enclosed over a fan and a pretty modest heating element.

But for sausage, my smoker set up without a fan does a first class job. But only with supervision.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:09 PM

AndrewM - What was the cost to hook up the PID, switches etc? Where did you get the PID?
Old 10-30-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF & JF View Post
AndrewM - What was the cost to hook up the PID, switches etc? Where did you get the PID?
Pelican case off kijiji - $20
Inkbird pid controller kit - $62
Switches 5 for $19
Outlets and plugs $10(had these)
Wires $10 (had these)
Works out to around $120 to build one.

Inkbird PID Temperature Controller ITC-106VH 100V 240V Thermostat K Sensor Black Heat Sink 40 DA SSR https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0718ZRPGX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_w7LUDbPBM8Q63
Etopars 5 X Heavy Duty 20A 125V 15A 250V SPST 2 Terminal Pin ON/OFF Rocker Toggle Switch Flick Metal Waterproof Cap Knob https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B071ZH26D9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7aMUDb758HQ8C
Old 11-13-2019, 06:57 PM

I stumbled across the perfect fan I'm going to install one in my Pit boss smoker $137 CAD delivered by USPS

The fan is 2" x 7" can fit any where

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=850

As others have said a fan makes a big difference in a smoker
Old 11-13-2019, 07:17 PM

Looks like it should work well. I picked up a bathroom fan motor with a long shaft and two fan blades(one on inside and one outside to spin backwards to cool motor) Came in around 45. Haven’t installed it as my temperature is quite even at 2-4 variance in my big smoker. May install in my small smoker to see if it helps. Suspect a PiD would help it best though.

https://www.amresupply.com/part/12744297

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/...TCH/p/WWG5JLK2
Old 11-13-2019, 08:21 PM

I have an Auber controller in a home built fridge smoker. Auber are a first class company to deal with, providing good advice to any questions and lots of info about any products I was interested in, and a valuable resource for anyone making your own smoker. Their controller has been spot on and trouble free for many years. Only replacement part or should really be called additional part was to get a hanging thermometer in addition to the origional wall mounted thermometer. Can’t say the placement of controller thermometer had made much difference how the unit cooks the product, as verified by two meat thermometers spaced randomly in smoker. controller reacts to a 1 degree change, the fridge is pretty big space, meat is quite a distance from heat source, and with good insulation there doesn’t seem to be very little change in the interior temperature around meat. I do adjust the vents on bottom and top to ensure in first stage that moisture is expelled and second stage to have some gentle smoke movement. For sure Fan would be beneficial in the ventilation aspect and particularily for jerky. Good luck on your project.