Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2019, 07:28 PM

Exclamation Question for Loader owner/operators with knowledge

I am running a 2010 New Holland with a bucket that I think is really undersized for the unit. Mine is a 2.75cy one that weighs 2000lbs.

I have found what I think is a good deal on a 5.75yd bucket, but it weighs 6000lbs.

Looking at specs my loader is 150hp, weighs 27000 lbs, static tipping weight is 20,400lbs.

If I am reading that right, you should not be fully extended with more than 10,200 lbs on the pins?

Is a 6000 lb bucket too much for my loader if I am just moving snow?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-15-2019, 08:02 PM

Can't really suggest anything on the bucket compatibility. If you are just needing to move snow I was going to suggest you could get creative with your welder and create retractable/foldable "wings" on the sides of your bucket. Even the two to four foot extra on the bucket would move more snow. When using the bucket to load you could retract the wings.

Cheap illustration of what I mean. The wings could be moved into a few positions easily.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bucket.jpg (9.7 KB, 94 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-15-2019, 08:10 PM

Thank you Sir, I have been thinking of that as well. I do have auxiliary hydraulics on the loader so there is a chance it is doable.

The big monster bucket has my interest too though.

I JUST got off the phone with a guy here, has a snow bucket for sale. I was all excited but turns out it is only 6' wide. I am looking to see if my 2032r will handle that bucket.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-15-2019, 08:46 PM

The 6000 lb bucket is pushing the limits of usefulness on your machine.
It would be more appropriate on a larger class machine like 32 to 35000 lb loader - 200 hp plus.
It will work but your half loaded just carrying the bucket.

I'd keep looking
Old 10-15-2019, 09:02 PM

We use a snow wing on our loader at work. Have you looked at those?
Old 10-15-2019, 09:26 PM

Snow is very light, look at how big a buckets they put on skid steers. You can get a 10 foot bucket for a skid steer so I’m thinking you would be good with that bucket.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:31 PM

I believe that loader model even has the plastic fenders ?? They also have a fairly narrow short wheelbase. I wouldn't go that big a bucket. If you do, be careful about raising and dumping without having your machine articulated, especially with a load.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 10-15-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
Snow is very light, look at how big a buckets they put on skid steers. You can get a 10 foot bucket for a skid steer so I’m thinking you would be good with that bucket.
I thought that too, until I did an online formula showing weight for a specific cubic amount, it is amazing how much packed or wet snow can weigh.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
I believe that loader model even has the plastic fenders ?? They also have a fairly narrow short wheelbase. I wouldn't go that big a bucket. If you do, be careful about raising and dumping without having your machine articulated, especially with a load.
Wheelbase is 9.6 ft, and yes it has composite fenders. Raising and dumping without being articulated? Have to be turning to lift or dump? Doesn't that shorten your wheelbase?

Sorry about the stupid questions, when I ran them for work it was all practise no theory. We never questioned loads, just did what the boss said. It is sure different when you own the unit.

I am still trying to figure out static tipping load, it is explained differently everywhere you look. (I don't look on any wiki sites)

I can not find breakout force for this unit.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post
The 6000 lb bucket is pushing the limits of usefulness on your machine.
It would be more appropriate on a larger class machine like 32 to 35000 lb loader - 200 hp plus.
It will work but your half loaded just carrying the bucket.

I'd keep looking
I appreciate that, thank you. I am looking for a snow bucket or blade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
We use a snow wing on our loader at work. Have you looked at those?
Not yet, just starting to look.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I do have auxiliary hydraulics on the loader so there is a chance it is doable.
Keep it simple, manually set (mechanical) wing without hydraulics. Just use a pin to anchor the wing. Less to go wrong.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-15-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Wheelbase is 9.6 ft, and yes it has composite fenders. Raising and dumping without being articulated? Have to be turning to lift or dump? Doesn't that shorten your wheelbase?

Sorry about the stupid questions, when I ran them for work it was all practise no theory. We never questioned loads, just did what the boss said. It is sure different when you own the unit.

I am still trying to figure out static tipping load, it is explained differently everywhere you look. (I don't look on any wiki sites)

I can not find breakout force for this unit.
Sorry, I said that wrong, Make sure it isn't articulated. Raise & dump with the front & back wheels straight. They rarely tip, but raising a loaded bucket with the wheels cranked is riskier.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 10-15-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Sorry, I said that wrong, Make sure it isn't articulated. Raise & dump with the front & back wheels straight. They rarely tip, but raising a loaded bucket with the wheels cranked is riskier.
ok, I could not figure that one out. Was thinking 'maybe it....no, it must.....ummmmm

One of the problems I have is where I dump the snow is off the road into the ditch, and there is a bit of a drop. The last loader had bald tires, that was a real treat. I am really hoping to find a decent snow bucket, light and used (cheap), this big one was just such a great deal I was really hoping to make it work.

Old 10-16-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
ok, I could not figure that one out. Was thinking 'maybe it....no, it must.....ummmmm

One of the problems I have is where I dump the snow is off the road into the ditch, and there is a bit of a drop. The last loader had bald tires, that was a real treat. I am really hoping to find a decent snow bucket, light and used (cheap), this big one was just such a great deal I was really hoping to make it work.
If the bucket is a good deal would it be worth buying and reworking to the size compatible for your machine?
Old 10-16-2019, 07:45 AM

What the heck is that bucket made out of Lead? 6000lbs seems awful heavy but I guess it is almost a 6 yard bucket. I guess one thing is for sure it should be heavy duty and well built. I did a little research and I think I have it calculated correctly snow can weigh anywhere from 1lb per cubic foot to 21lbs per cubic foot. So for calculations I used the heaviest snow 21lbs your 5.75 yard bucket is 155 cubic feet x 21lbs per cubic foot of snow = 3255lbs of snow if bucket was right full of the heaviest snow. I think I have that calculated correctly but don’t jump all over me if I’m wrong. So 6000lb bucket + 3255lbs of snow = 9255lbs. Looks like you have a margin for 945lbs of rocks in you bucket still?

Last edited by Greatwest; 10-16-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:15 AM
Banned

There are two loader buckets in the voice auction with one day left and are only

118 inch @ 1000.00
132 inch @ 300.00

Price leaves room for welding

GD auctions in Edmonton

Last edited by Xbolt7mm; 10-16-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanH View Post
If the bucket is a good deal would it be worth buying and reworking to the size compatible for your machine?
That was the plan, change out the mounting points but changing the size of the bucket no.

It would be a far better idea to buy this one and put it in the next RB auction. I am guessing it would get ~$5000

Old 10-16-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
There are two loader buckets in the voice auction with one day left and are only

118 inch @ 1000.00
132 inch @ 300.00

GD auctions in Edmonton
20% tax on sale items. Wow ridiculous.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post

118 inch @ 1000.00
132 inch @ 300.00

GD auctions in Edmonton
Thanks for the info.

Trouble is there are no specs, weight,CY or CM, and the picture of the ground and weed doesn't help anything lol

Old 10-16-2019, 10:44 AM

Should just get a snow bucket. As they seem to just leave them lying around during the winter, drive around mall parking lots at night, and find one that fits, and try it out. haha
Old 10-16-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Should just get a snow bucket. As they seem to just leave them lying around during the winter, drive around mall parking lots at night, and find one that fits, and try it out. haha

Old 10-16-2019, 11:25 AM

Why not just get a "Snow Pusher" instead of a bucket... There are plenty of styles that just mount onto your existing bucket and can expedite cleaning large areas, then simply drop it off the bucket and do the clean up work with your existing more nimble bucket?

J
Old 10-16-2019, 11:30 AM

Ken, stay within the manufactures limits. You get a kick out of operating these toys of yours. Smaller buckets means more seat time means more enjoyment for you!

Snow is a fickle mistress, and if you end up laying your new toy over, you might just remember these words.

BW
Old 10-16-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Ken, stay within the manufactures limits. You get a kick out of operating these toys of yours. Smaller buckets means more seat time means more enjoyment for you!

Snow is a fickle mistress, and if you end up laying your new toy over, you might just remember these words.

BW
Thanks BW.

I used to run loaders for work, do enjoy them for sure.

The lions share of the snow removal I do is with my half ton. I push big windrows then scoop everything out and across the street into the ditch with the loader. I used my own personal loader all last winter, and loved it. It had a 4.5 yd bucket, this one is 2.75.

The point of the loader is to reduce seat time. A real good snow can mean 12 hours doing the 1 contract I have with the half ton, 2-3 with the loader. But, I can run the half ton years on end with minimal to no input costs, hell I only change the oil every 2-3 years and it sips fuel idling around pushing fluff.

After over a decade of this though, I am getting tired of losing entire days to snow, plus I just love running big toys. In 5 good years the loader will have paid for itself and I will still get real good money for it. It will be tough to put 500 hours on it in 10 years.

I was looking at a brand new W80 loader, what a nice little unit they are.

There are a couple little loaders here, a Terex and a Volvo. As handy as they are I prefer the bigger one, far more versatile.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jip911 View Post
Why not just get a "Snow Pusher" instead of a bucket... There are plenty of styles that just mount onto your existing bucket and can expedite cleaning large areas, then simply drop it off the bucket and do the clean up work with your existing more nimble bucket?

J
Good plan too. Trouble is there is just nothing local to even look at. Online is the only way.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:49 AM

I just called AMI, talked to them about their 4.5yd 'light material' bucket, which my loader is rated for.

$11,000.00 plus tax!!!!!

5/8" plate steel is $33.00 sq/ft at the machine shop, which is jacked up at least 30%, they must use diamond tooth bits and gold inlets!!!

wow.

no.

Old 10-16-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I just called AMI, talked to them about their 4.5yd 'light material' bucket, which my loader is rated for.

$11,000.00 plus tax!!!!!

5/8" plate steel is $33.00 sq/ft at the machine shop, which is jacked up at least 30%, they must use diamond tooth bits and gold inlets!!!

wow.

no.
Pay yourself $40 an hour, pay the power bill, a percent of all your tools, consumables, rent on your shop, machining costs, trucking and everything else involved you’ll build it at home for $9850.

Or get that big ugly bucket and give it a go. If it’s too big you can reprofile it. It’s a lot easier to make a big bucket smaller. Much harder to make a small bucket bigger.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Pay yourself $40 an hour, pay the power bill, a percent of all your tools, consumables, rent on your shop, machining costs, trucking and everything else involved you’ll build it at home for $9850.

Or get that big ugly bucket and give it a go. If it’s too big you can reprofile it. It’s a lot easier to make a big bucket smaller. Much harder to make a small bucket bigger.
I have made snow plow blades before, not scared of taking on a project but I do not have a 10' 125t brake in my garage anymore, can't get the profile. And I am too old to throw around 4 tons of steel LOL. Also, the loader won't fit in the 10x10 door, stupid planning again.

The big bucket is a beauty, looks like new but man, it is SOOOO heavy.

I am holding out hope that I can find a 4-5yd used one.
I just got off the phone with a guy that wants the loader in the worst way, offering me a 2014 tracked bobcat with no hours and a 5 gallon pail of cash.

Might not have to worry about a snow bucket long. Plus the skidsteer will fit in the garage!

Old 10-16-2019, 07:56 PM

Ken,

I don't think the weight of that bucket is anywhere near 6000 lbs.

We have a JCB bucket (on our newer machine in the yard now) which is (I'm guessing) 10' wide and 4-5 yards as well, and it's gotta be well under 2000 lbs. This bucket is also pretty darn solid too.

6000 lbs must be a typo or something.

heavy 1/2" steel plate is ~20 lbs /ft 2 - a bucket 10' wide would be roughly 100 ft2 of material (for a very big over sized bucket = ~2000 lbs.

I could be wrong - but 6000 lbs seems really really heavy.

Last edited by EZM; 10-16-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:24 PM

got pics, it's actually 7 yards lol