Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-23-2009, 02:49 PM

Question Hook Sizes

Umm . . . can someone explain something to me?

If my size 1 lures, leaders, etc. are the smallest, why are the size 1 barbless hooks I ordered the biggest ones?????

I ordered size 1, 2, and 4 barbless hooks, and all of the things are huge (with 4 being the smallest)! I can't use any of them on the lures we've got and will be using this coming week.

Doesn't it make sense that a size 1 lure would use a size 1 hook?

It took well over a week for them to get here, and I don't have time to order new ones. I'll check Wal-Mart for hooks, and if that doesn't pan out I'll get a battery operated Dremmel.

I'm mightily POd about this . . . apparently I've missed something important somewhere.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Banned

Yeah hooks with bigger numbers are actualy smaller untill you get to 1, after that they go up in size but have a "0" infront of them such as 0/4. This method of measurement is used on cable and wire as well so I think that maby back in the day a certain size hook was made from a certain size of wire and thats why they are sized the way they are.

Last edited by Cal; 07-23-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:21 PM

Yep...sad but true...backwards crap. It could be easier that's for sure. I'm not sure what your doing...but size 4 is pretty small though already. If you're putting bait on them, that's the smallest you can go really, maybe a size 6. BTW, Canadian tire, walmart, bass pro, fishing hole all have hooks, no need to get them online. Hooks are pretty cheap when you buy them in bulk.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:32 PM

I called BPS and the Fishin Hole, and neither carry barbless hooks in store. I ordered these from the Fishin Hole, as they do have them in their warehouse. Canadian Tire by my place doesn't have any in stock, either. I'll try Wal-Mart.

We're not using bait. I'm swapping out the hooks on our lures so they comply with the regs. I was planning on using the same size hook that was already on the lure. I'm thinking that a size 4 treble is too big for a Mountain Whitefish.

Also, I bought hooks that have lead in them. Doh! I have kids, and as I result I prefer not to have anything with a lead content high enough that it has a warning on it.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:04 PM

Well you don't need barbless. You can just pinch them off with pilars, no big deal. If I had to change all the hook on my lures with barbless....man oh man I'd be broke as heck.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Yep...sad but true...backwards crap. It could be easier that's for sure. I'm not sure what your doing...but size 4 is pretty small though already. If you're putting bait on them, that's the smallest you can go really, maybe a size 6. BTW, Canadian tire, walmart, bass pro, fishing hole all have hooks, no need to get them online. Hooks are pretty cheap when you buy them in bulk.
I've bought hooks all the way down to 12's. For rainbows and whites I 6 is about as large as I would go.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:53 PM

I was able to get some barbless octopus hooks at Wal-Mart. I bought a Dremel to take the barbs off of our treble hooks.

I did try pinching the barbs off, and squeezing them down with pliers. I wasn't particularly successful in my attempts. A CO in a good mood would probably let them pass, but one in a foul mood would probably nail my @$$ to the wall as they are still kind of catching the line.

I bought a lot of different sizes, so in the future I'll have a better idea what to size to order. We don't have a whole lot of gear, so it won't cost too much once I figure out what I need.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
We're not using bait. I'm swapping out the hooks on our lures so they comply with the regs.
Just use plyers, save your peso's for something else...
Old 07-23-2009, 10:57 PM

Gamakatsu Barbless octopus Hooks.
LOTS at Wholesale Sports.
Just bought a crapload for my Rapala's
Old 07-23-2009, 11:15 PM

Didn't even think to check Wholesale

I did grind off the barbs with a Dremel, and it worked really well. I got a cordless one, so I can take it out with us.

I'll be returning all of the barbless trebles I bought and exchanging them for size 8s and size 6s. They don't have anything smaller in stock. I'll probably exchange the 4s I bought for 4s that don't have lead in them. It sucks that I'll have to pay the extra in shipping, but this was totally my fault.

I guess some knowledge just has to be gained the hard way.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Banned

Depending on what you are replacing the hooks on you might need to go smaller. I'm pretty sure those little treble hooks on small panther martins and len thompson are around size 10- 14 if your replacing them with a single hook though you can make it a bit bigger. Compare the hook sizes before you change them though, cause this is just a rough estamation. Or you could just spend $5 on a pair of plyers which will be easyer, cheaper, and less time consuming.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
I called BPS and the Fishin Hole, and neither carry barbless hooks in store. I ordered these from the Fishin Hole, as they do have them in their warehouse. Canadian Tire by my place doesn't have any in stock, either. I'll try Wal-Mart.

We're not using bait. I'm swapping out the hooks on our lures so they comply with the regs. I was planning on using the same size hook that was already on the lure. I'm thinking that a size 4 treble is too big for a Mountain Whitefish.

Also, I bought hooks that have lead in them. Doh! I have kids, and as I result I prefer not to have anything with a lead content high enough that it has a warning on it.
I don't think lead hooks are anything to worry about as far as your children go. Why do you think jigs are called "leadheads"? That is what they are made from. Although there are alternatives now.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:01 PM

dont hook the kids and they should be ok
I fished for whitefish for a lot of years, and usually used size 12 hooks, sometimes 10 if that was all I could find. I even used 16 a few times, they do have small mouths, and fairly soft so the hooks tear out easily.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich