Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-25-2009, 09:31 AM

Default Hanwag Boot Review - "Yukon"

(Posted this over at CGN, thought I would share here too.)

Hey guys,

Thought I would do a quick write-up with my initial impressions. I've yet to put these boots through their paces, but will update once I have.

My old boots kicked the bucket on me, so I decided to look into new boots for this season. I've always heard good things about Hanwag boots, both from friends in the military as well as hardcore sheep hunters. So I figured I'd grab a pair and see how they worked out.

First things first, yes, they are expensive. Really expensive compared to what I'm used to. But from the opinions of guys who have had these boots before, they will survive a lot of hard use, with a lifespan of around 3-5 years, give or take. So the quality seems to be there.

I bought the Yukons because I prefer a full leather, uninsulated, non-goretex boot for all-around use. Goretex and insulation make my feet waaaaay too hot, and I've had too many synthetic boots shredded from scree on the side of a mountain. The "Yukon" boot fit this criteria nicely. And if my feet do get cold, I just put on a heavier sock. So I put in my order for these boots from Monod Sports in Banff.

My boots showed up, and I immediately swapped out the factory insoles for my custom orthodic insoles. LOTS of room in the boot for new insoles. Secondly, the boots fit true to size. I'm a US 10.5/UK 9.5, and the boot (size 9.5UK) fits true to this. If you have doubts, measure your foot using Monod's spec sheet on their website. Thirdly, I tend to have a narrow foot, generally within a D or an E size depending on the shoe/boot. EE work boots are much too wide on me, but the Hanwags fit me great. They have a narrow heel that tends to cradle your ankles solidly in place. These boots are heavy, and I could imagine they would get quite heavy if they were thoroughly soaked. The nice thing about all leather boots though is you can "walk" them dry fairly quickly compared to their goretex counterparts, so I'm hoping that holds true with these boots.

Regarding socks, I use a polypro liner sock, with a regular wool rag-type sock over them. Nothing fancy, just the regular old-school wool-with-red-stripe-on-top that your grandfather probably wears. If it gets really cold, I use a fairly heavy army surplus wool sock. So with that said, the way the lacing system is on this boot, you can use either sock with no problem. The boot will still fit nicely, and not feel too tight on your foot.

I went for a walk, and the first thing I noticed was how stiff these boots are. Yes, the mountaineers here will laugh at me, but I've generally had fairly flexible boots when it comes to hiking boots. These guys are certainly a lot stiffer. They may loosen up a bit over time however. This stiffness will make the boots great for side-hilling and should stop you from rolling your ankles. They should perform really well in difficult terrain in keeping your foot nice and stable.

Unfortunately this test tonight was taking the dog for a walk on a pavement path, so with regards to that, the boots felt a little "clunky". When I took a few detours onto the grass or bush, they felt a lot better. The tread is a hefty vibram design, and grabs nicely. The leather "glove" boot linings are SUPER comfy, and I really, really, like them.

So my initial impressions are pretty good with this boot. They will definitely need some breaking in to loosen them up, as my right ankle felt a little achey once I got home. That most likely is my own fauly though, through a combination of taking a brand new stiff boot on pavement, as well as not being used to the weight of the boot. I'll wear them for the rest of the week and hopefully will get things sorted out. Remember though, I'm not a big guy (6', 160lbs), so they might feel a bit softer to you bigger guys.

I've got a 5 day backpack hunt coming up, so will report how they do on that. From all the good things I've heard though, they should do really well.

Cheers!
Old 10-25-2009, 09:50 AM

More Impressions.

Had these boots for about a week now, and I'm happy to say I quite like them. For a while there I wasn't too sure, but as I broke the boots in, they softened up nicely. The leather glove lining really conforms exactly to your foot shape. The ankle support is incredibly stiff, enough so that when you're just hanging out around the campfire the boots feel "clunky". However when you're on the go breaking bush or packing something out, the Hanwags are great.

The soles are still fairly stiff, so it doesn't give you the best "feel" for putting the sneak on an animal, but all in all they are pretty good. Still not sure about the price tag that comes with the boots, but they certainly are comfy. And for that matter it seems that any boot with the same features/craftsmanship as these boots all seem to fall into the same price range, so maybe it's just par for the course. Cheers!
Old 10-25-2009, 10:46 AM

Awesome ..Thx for the report..
Old 10-25-2009, 10:51 AM

I have a pair of hanwags that I got this year and so i love them. As for the price they are in line with any good hand made boot. ie. meindle , scarpa ,kenetrek ect..
Old 10-25-2009, 04:03 PM

I've had my Hanwag Yukon's for around a year now. They are the best balance of support and comfort of any boot I've owned.

Hanwags and a pair of good gators, OR Expedition Crocs, and I feel like I've got the world by the tail.

I hope they last forever...
Old 10-25-2009, 07:32 PM

I've got Hanwag alaskan GTX's I like em.The only thing I've got to shake is the squeak, the boots have a subtle squeak when I walk not that big of a deal but awful annoying. They will be tough to stalk in for bowhunting and close range action which goes against my natural pure stealth. haha
Old 10-25-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Al View Post
I've got Hanwag alaskan GTX's I like em.The only thing I've got to shake is the squeak, the boots have a subtle squeak when I walk not that big of a deal but awful annoying. They will be tough to stalk in for bowhunting and close range action which goes against my natural pure stealth. haha
I had the same problem when I purchased mine, so I contacted Hanwag directly. The problem is that the boots are dry as shipped. Once you treat them with a waterproofing agent, they will stop squeaking.

Be careful not to use Mink Oil or other products that are not intended for use with Nubuck. I used a product called "Sno-Seal", made of bees wax. It works great, and is available at WSS.