Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-10-2015, 09:56 AM

Default Deer Processing Lethbridge area??

Hi,
Looking for somewhere to get my deer meat cut and wrapped near Lethbridge if needed?

According to the weather forecast I looks like it will be rather warm During the Quota hunt in Magrath so it may be too warm to get the meat cooled down and safely bring my deer back to Calgary where I usually take them.

Mind you it should be nice weather to be outdoors.
Thursday Sunny. Low minus 4. High 11. Friday Sunny. Low plus 1. High 12. but it may be too warm to safely bring my deer back to Calgary where I usually take it. What do you think?
Or should I just Pack them full of snow and head home?
Old 01-10-2015, 09:58 AM

Just pack em full of snow , you will be good to go. Good luck on your hunt
Old 01-10-2015, 10:07 AM

Thanks!
Should be a beautiful day for a hunt if you can call it that :-)

I have heard that the last Quota hunt some people were done and had two down a 1/2 hour after first light :-)

Old 01-10-2015, 11:41 AM

I've done this hunt 3 times, and it is still a hunt. There may be a few people that are done that quick, but these deer aren't stupid. They know where their safe places are, and they will head straight there. As well, once the shooting starts, whitetail deer can put on some distance when they need to. These deer may not have been shot at for the past 1 1/2 months, but they know the pressure of hunting and will quickly alter their habits accordingly.

The thing about this hunt is that there are lots of deer, so you should have some good opportunities. Make them count, and you're golden. Don't, and you get to experience the other side of hunting. Don't let the missed opportunities get you down, though, because there is literally another one just around the corner.

It's a great opportunity for some young hunters to get out and experience the hunt. I agreed with the F&W at the meeting, when they said it was great to see some young hunters trying to get involved with this hunt. I joked to my partners that once they gave out the 90 tickets, everyone over 30 that had a ticket should give it up for someone under 20.

Most of the landowners are really good to deal with. Remember that you are still enjoying their land and be thankful for the opportunities that they give you. They are a few in the area, though, that are really against hunting. Remember to be courteous to them, as well. You never know when they may have a change of heart.

But do the whole community a favour, and do your utmost to harvest both deer you received tags for.

And my last bit of advice, for those of you not familiar with this area or hunt. Prepare for the wind. It blows right through you, if you're not dressed for it.

HBH
Old 01-10-2015, 12:00 PM

Trying to do the right thing and Calling for Permissions is the usual Pain.

Called a few people on the phone list for permissions that are listed as Yes. Only to be told they only allow one hunter and they already have that hunter.

Or where are you from then tell you that they don't want you hunting their land. I felt like saying what does where I come from have to do with anything, but was respectfull and said thanks regrdless.

I was also able to find a few that were actually appreciative that I was calling to ask permission and granted it.

It sure was nice and helpfull that the town provided a contact list.

Only problem seems that there are several owners that seem to say Yes to the Town Hall when asked but say No when you call them. I guess they want to keep up appearances.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:19 PM

Don't think the weather will be much of a problem. Warmest day I see is 5 on the 16th