Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-25-2015, 04:48 PM

Sounds like a good reason to stay off Sylvan
Old 06-25-2015, 05:38 PM

Default Boat

Not to de rail this post, but is insurance, and registration required on a 14' boat,
With less than a 10 hp motor. I am was under the impression, neither is needed, just the trailer needs registration.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nester View Post
Nice to see the RCMP out doing there job at Sylvan.

Terrible to hear that they hurt your feelings.
Watching a person fishing for 45 min. then racing over because the person waved to them, obviously telling the cops that there stake out was blown, then proceeded to be idiots, IMO, I think the cops feelings were hurt because they wasted all that time for nothing !! If they watched him drinking or poaching they would not have waited that long to come and search ! Ya, always nice to see them !
Old 06-25-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
Not to de rail this post, but is insurance, and registration required on a 14' boat,
With less than a 10 hp motor. I am was under the impression, neither is needed, just the trailer needs registration.
Correct. Just need your boaters licence.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:51 PM

Default Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Correct. Just need your boaters licence.
Thank you.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
Watching a person fishing for 45 min. then racing over because the person waved to them, obviously telling the cops that there stake out was blown, then proceeded to be idiots, IMO, I think the cops feelings were hurt because they wasted all that time for nothing !! If they watched him drinking or poaching they would not have waited that long to come and search ! Ya, always nice to see them !
That about sums it up..lol
Old 06-25-2015, 06:34 PM

Whenever an authority figure approaches you, friendly like or otherwise, always be confrontational and advise them of your legal rights. Do not cooperate in any way. Also, feel free to criticise these morons for not catching the true criminals on the water. Afterall, these idiots are there only to harass the innocent and turn a blind eye to the poachers we want to see persecuted. After that, give your head a shake and kick yourself in the ass. Next, try and discover any irony.

Bobby

Old 06-25-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
Whenever an authority figure approaches you, friendly like or otherwise, always be confrontational and advise them of your legal rights. Do not cooperate in any way. Also, feel free to criticise these morons for not catching the true criminals on the water. Afterall, these idiots are there only to harass the innocent and turn a blind eye to the poachers we want to see persecuted. After that, give your head a shake and kick yourself in the ass. Next, try and discover any irony.

Bobby
Im sorry, but I missed the part where the the OP did any of the above, were you 1 of these fine, respectful officers ? Read the post, the person said they did nothing wrong, the police watched for 45 minutes, but then proceeded to give them the once over for waving at them. The police felt like they were being laughed at and made a big deal of it ! Who needs a kick in the ass and a head shake might not always be the 1 that is assumed guilty for no reason !
Old 06-25-2015, 08:56 PM

Default Canada Shipping Act

Gives very broad powers of inspection to officers.
The inspection is often used to to create reasonable grounds for a search.

Being hot tired sun burned and having dealt with ill mannered drunken people all day does not give officers cause to be rude.

I don't miss boat patrols at all.

Glad to be retired with that life. Be nice to the officer. He should be nice to you but still conduct his duties. Complain in writing to his bosses if you feel you have been mistreated. Or whine about it on the Internet.

There are 3 sides to every story. I would love to hear the officers versions of some of the interactions people are mentioning.

I loved being recorded when I was an officer. Always gave the boss a good view of how good of a job I was doing. I was recording you anyways.

Always laughed at how the office folks thought spending the weekend checking boaters was "fun".

An officer can board any vessel in Canadian waters to inspect for compliance with the Canada Shipping Act. No reasonable grounds needed. A search comes from developing reasonable grounds related to specific legislation ( Gaming and Liquor/ Fisheries stuff / Impaired or over 08 operation of a vessel/ Controlled Drug and Substance Act are all things I have developed RPG to search/arrest from boat inspections.

Good manners goes along ways.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
If they sat there for 45 minutes spying, they were wasting time. OR someone had fingered the OP and they were trying to catch them in the act.

Just curious, as it wasn't mentioned. Did they have a marked boat with lights and sirens?
Old 06-25-2015, 09:42 PM
Banned

Glad the law was on the water doing their job. That lake is a magnet for drunken hoodlums, I'd think low oil prices should ease the pressure the police face up there?
Old 06-25-2015, 10:07 PM

This seems like a one sided story to me. Who the hell knows somebody is watching them for 45 mins and waits that long before pulling out their own binoculars to see who it is? I'm thinking most people wait a couple of mins and then pull them out to see who it is.
I find when you treat people with respect, you get treated with respect.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
This seems like a one sided story to me. Who the hell knows somebody is watching them for 45 mins and waits that long before pulling out their own binoculars to see who it is? I'm thinking most people wait a couple of mins and then pull them out to see who it is.
I find when you treat people with respect, you get treated with respect.
x1000

Old 06-26-2015, 08:41 AM

Default Boat registration

I just registered a new to me boat, they do not send the registration form anymore, just a 8.5 x 11 letter that says the color and hull number. It does not even list the make. No where does it say keep in the boat or produce on demand. It says the license number has to be marked on the sides not less than 75 mm high.

its marked "Important document -do not lose"
Old 06-26-2015, 08:58 AM

Yes I thought registration numbers were all you needed not a paper copy. Just your boaters card and photo id.??
I have a dry box with everything but have never been asked.
Also is this "shipping act" legit on a recreational vessel on a lake?
Old 06-26-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Yes I thought registration numbers were all you needed not a paper copy. Just your boaters card and photo id.??
I have a dry box with everything but have never been asked.
Also is this "shipping act" legit on a recreational vessel on a lake?
yes the Canada Shipping Act covers recreational boating on all water in Canada. That is where the safety equipment requirements comes from. (paddles, bailing bucket, pfd, etc.)
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
yes the Canada Shipping Act covers recreational boating on all water in Canada. That is where the safety equipment requirements comes from. (paddles, bailing bucket, pfd, etc.)
So they can board and search your boat with no cause?
Old 06-26-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
It's not with no cause. Yes they can board your vessel and inspect for appropriate equipment that is required. During that inspection they can find anything else that will give them grounds for other charges.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
It's not with no cause. Yes they can board your vessel and inspect for appropriate equipment that is required. During that inspection they can find anything else that will give them grounds for other charges.
For the record I am not disagreeing this is a serious question. So say an officer boards my boat to inspect my safety equipment, does that give him ground to open every compartment or must he ask where said equipment is?
If I have a cooler in my boat does he have a right to "inspect" it?

Thank, Mike
Old 06-26-2015, 10:07 AM
Banned

You know, if only there was a document on police code of conduct... Oh wait.

Quote:
RESPECT AND COURTESY
Members treat every person with respect and courtesy and do not engage in discrimination or harassment.
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...1/page-14.html

There is also something called the Charter of Rights and Freedoms...

Search or seizure
8. Everyone has the right to be secure against unreasonable search or seizure.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:20 AM

I did some looking around at the Canada Shipping Act on the Government of Canada Justice Laws website.

I found the follow which I assume applies to inspection laws:

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/a...1.html#docCont

PART 10
PLEASURE CRAFT

Interpretation

Definitions

194. The definitions in this section apply in this Part.
“enforcement officer”
« agent de l’autorité »
“enforcement officer” means

(a) a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police;
(b) a member of any harbour or river police force;
(c) a member of any provincial, county or municipal police force; and
(d) any person, or member of a class of persons, designated under subsection 196(1).
“inspector”
« inspecteur »
“inspector” means a pleasure craft safety inspector designated under subsection 195(1).

“licence”
« permis »
“licence” means a licence issued for a pleasure craft under this Part.

“Minister”
« ministre »
“Minister” means the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans.

Inspections

Designation

195. (1) The Minister may designate persons or classes of persons as pleasure craft safety inspectors.
Marginal note:Certificate

(2) The Minister must furnish every inspector with a certificate of designation as a pleasure craft safety inspector authorizing the inspector to carry out inspections under sections 196 and 198.
Marginal note:Immunity

(3) Inspectors are not personally liable for anything they do or omit to do in good faith under this Part.
Designation

196. (1) The Minister may designate persons or classes of persons as enforcement officers.
Inspections — general

(2) An enforcement officer may inspect a pleasure craft or any of its machinery or equipment for the purpose of ensuring compliance with any provision of this Part, other than section 197, or the regulations made under this Part, other than the regulations made under paragraph 207(1)(f), (g), (i) or (j).
Inspections — structural integrity

(3) An inspector may inspect a pleasure craft or any of its machinery or equipment for structural integrity or compliance with the regulations made under any of paragraphs 207(1)(f) to (m).

Powers

(4) Enforcement officers acting under subsection (2) and inspectors acting under subsection (3) may
(a) stop or board the craft at any reasonable time;
(b) direct any person to put into operation or cease operating any machinery or equipment on the craft;
(c) direct that the craft not be moved until the inspection is completed;
(d) direct any person to move the craft to a safe place if the officer or inspector has reasonable grounds to believe that it does not meet the requirements of this Part or the regulations made under this Part or exposes any person to serious danger, and direct that it not be operated until it meets those requirements or no longer exposes any person to serious danger; and
(e) direct any person to move the craft to a safe place if the officer or inspector has reasonable grounds to believe that the operator does not meet the requirements of the regulations made under this Part, and direct that the operator not operate it until the operator meets those requirements.

Duty to assist

(5) The owner or person in charge of a pleasure craft and every person on board shall
(a) give an officer or inspector all reasonable assistance to enable them to carry out an inspection and exercise any power conferred by this section; and
(b) produce to an officer or inspector any document, or provide them with any information, that the officer or inspector may reasonably require, for the administration of this Part or Part 5 (Navigation Services) or the regulations made under either of those Parts.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:30 AM

And I found this in regards to inspections:

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/a...4.html#docCont

PART 11
ENFORCEMENT — DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORT

Interpretation

Definitions

210. The definitions in this section apply in this Part.
“Minister”
« ministre »
“Minister” means the Minister of Transport.

“relevant provision”
« disposition visée »
“relevant provision” means a provision of the Act or the regulations that the Minister is responsible for administering, other than a provision of the regulations made under subsection 136(2) in so far as it applies in respect of vessels that are not Canadian vessels or foreign vessels.

Inspections

Authorized persons and organizations

211. (1) A marine safety inspector referred to in section 11 or a person, classification society or other organization authorized to carry out inspections under section 12 may, for the purpose of ensuring compliance with a relevant provision, board any vessel or enter any premises or other place at any reasonable time and carry out any inspection that the inspector, person, classification society or other organization considers necessary and that the Minister has authorized them to carry out.

Living quarters

(2) Living quarters may not be entered under subsection (1) unless they are entered with the consent of the occupant or for the purpose of ensuring that the vessel complies with a relevant provision.

Stopping a vessel

(3) For the purpose of carrying out an inspection, a marine safety inspector may direct the master of a vessel to stop the vessel or proceed to the place that the inspector may select, and to moor, anchor or remain there for any reasonable period that the inspector may specify.

Inspections

(4) In carrying out an inspection, a marine safety inspector or, subject to any limitations set out under subsection 12(2) in their certificate of authorization, a person, classification society or other organization authorized to carry out inspections may
(a) direct any person to answer reasonable questions, provide reasonable assistance or put into operation or cease operating any machinery or equipment on a vessel being inspected;
(b) direct the master of a vessel to prohibit or limit access to any part of the vessel for as long as specified;
(c) direct the master of a vessel not to move the vessel until the inspection is completed;
(d) direct the master of a vessel to muster the crew or to carry out any emergency or safety procedure required by the regulations;
(e) direct any person who is at the place where the inspection is being carried out to produce for inspection, or for the purpose of making copies or taking extracts, any document that they are required to have under a relevant provision;
(f) take photographs and make video recordings and sketches;
(g) take or remove for analysis samples of any material or substance or any biological, chemical or physical agents or substances;
(h) use or cause to be used any computer system or data processing system at the place where the inspection is being carried out to examine any data contained in, or available to, the system;
(i) reproduce or cause to be reproduced any record from the data in the form of a print-out or other intelligible output;
(j) take any document or other thing from the place where the inspection is being carried out for examination or, in the case of a document, copying; and
(k) use or cause to be used any copying equipment in the place where the inspection is being carried out to make copies of any documents.

Disposition of samples

(5) A person who, or organization that, takes a sample under paragraph (4)(g) may dispose of it in any manner that the person or organization considers appropriate.
Marginal note:Return of documents and things

(6) Documents or other things taken under paragraph (4)(j) must be returned as soon as feasible after they are no longer required for the purpose for which they were taken.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:35 AM

Seems pretty uncool but yah the RC's are usually dicks.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:12 PM
Banned

I personally think we need more enforcement on the water.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:14 PM

I live on a big lake close to Edmonton and watch the parade of "citydiots" every weekend. A lot of people come out and treat the lake with a total lack of respect, littering, drinking and illegally fishing. It me ****es me off so I am all for enforcement of the laws and seeing a police & F&W presence on the water. At the same time though, the RCMP need to conduct themselves in a professional manner while doing so. I have often ran into them and or F&W on my lake and surrounding areas and had no issues, that said though, there are enough of RCMP that arrogant to say least and the way some of them come across where they treat you like you are guilty of something does not sit well with me either. The police need to remember that they are not better than everyone else and that they are public servants.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:14 PM

[QUOTE=fluxcore;2875543]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
They asked to see your boat insurance?

Sure did, not a big deal maybe to make sure it's not stolen ?
Do you even need to have boat insurance ? I don't believe you do .

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 06-26-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
I just registered a new to me boat, they do not send the registration form anymore, just a 8.5 x 11 letter that says the color and hull number. It does not even list the make. No where does it say keep in the boat or produce on demand. It says the license number has to be marked on the sides not less than 75 mm high.

its marked "Important document -do not lose"
It does say right on it to make a copy of it and keep it with you at all times on the boat.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 06-26-2015, 10:28 PM

They are allowed to check out your required safety items on the boat.
You don't need to carry the registration papers, but, the number has to be displayed on the boat.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:18 PM

I've been checked on Sylvan 2x by fish and wildlife and 1x by RCMP this year. All times really a pleasant visit actually. Considering that I've only been out on Sylvan 6 times this year I would probably be safe in assuming that there is some well founded concern or reason for the stepped up enforcement presence.

Personally I'm glad to see them out - look at the SRD survey results on the fish populations on that lake and you'll see why I'm glad.

Man those new F&W seadoos sure rip!
Old 07-06-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Different laws the second you're on the water, technically I believe that you aren't in Canada anymore...so yes I believe they can...