Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-06-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
"Also if you put my face online and I was not guilty I would have you in court in a heart beat and take a lot more than your camera. "

No you wouldn't.
Exactly! If you are in a public place, and someone happens to take your picture, good luck suing them.

Good job on reporting these poachers, hopefully the authorities deal with them.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo View Post
PerchBuster, just curious about when you wrote: "by the looks of it". What was the "it" in the photo that led you to think that those 2 have "obviously" done this before?
Fishing with 2 rods, carefully concealing the fish under the van and then putting them up in the front seat of the van, I assume in a bag under the floor mat or stuffed under the seat. They obviously knew they were breaking the law and they had a plan to conceal the fish. I highly doubt this was a spur of the moment decision to poach some walleye and it would seem obvious to me at least that they have most likely been at it for awhile. The older gentleman in the photo appears to be maybe like 60+ and I doubt he just woke up the other day and out of the blue decided to illegally possess some fish. Everybody has a first time for something, but criminals are never just one and done.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:58 AM

Default The right thing to do!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD 848 View Post
When turning poachers in you have to be very sure of what your doing,i don't like poachers either but the colour of their skin and their race has nothing to do with poaching.
Turning them in is the right thing to do,but be careful they never took your plates and know you did this.Your actions were right ,but your character shows signs of a different nature.
Also if you put my face online and I was not guilty I would have you in court in a heart beat and take a lot more than your camera.

Nothing wrong with turning in a poacher,but I would never let them know who did this and never show any ones face online I didn't know unless you really have something personal to gain,because some people may take it real personal.

I am just being straight up with you because other innocent people start running around with I phones or cameras posting every guy they think is a poacher and posting their face online you may end up getting someone hurt or even worse.Theirs all kinds of nuts out their and a person has to be careful of his actions.
I find it hard to believe that people will snap pictures of someone that they believe is poaching and put it online if there was a reasonable doubt in their mind.

Dago did the right thing, these dirt bags were clearly up to no good by hiding the fish and the fact they are very small. He also confirmed this by addressing the situation and then these guys pack up and take off... (guess they were tired of fishing)

Poachers beware, in this day and age everyone has a camera and I would pat anyone on the back for doing the same thing as Dago if they strongly suspect someone of poaching!

I hope these guys get dealt with, and Dago please let us know what happens.
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 07-06-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
Great on your for reporting!

To be respectable sportsman we really should not be throwing racial slurs. Pinning poaching on "Mexicans" or starting a "Chinese fire drill" is ridiculous. I am sure there are many people of all different heritages on this forum as well as partaking in outdoor activities that follow regulations and I am also just as sure that people of all different heritages poach as well. Using racial slurs on a public forum makes everyone look bad.
Although I here what you're saying....there truly is some serious problems with the "Mexican Mennonites" in that area. Many of them have recently migrated to Canada and have zero respect for the our laws or the Police. And obviously not our wildlife. Of course people from all walks of life poach but this isn't discrimination without reason.

If you ask anyone from Taber why the recent bylaw (no crowds, now swearing etc) was brought in they'll inform you it was due to Mennonites partying in the parks, parking lots etc...

I hope they go after these guys but even the Police are afraid of exactly what you're saying and have to tread lightly to avoid the race card. If they are approached about this they will play dumb and might receive a slap on the wrist.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD 848 View Post
Also if you put my face online and I was not guilty I would have you in court in a heart beat and take a lot more than your camera.
People seem to have this misconception that others do not have the right to photograph them in public, while in fact they do.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
People seem to have this misconception that others do not have the right to photograph them in public, while in fact they do.
That is correct - you can post a photo of anyone anytime in any public place and there are zero laws broken. As a matter of fact - you can take a picture of me in my backyard or through one of my windows of my house looking in and you have broken no law (assuming you were not trespassing).

It is is, on the other hand, illegal to slander someone - so post a picture and call some out for something they may not be guilty of could be a problem. In order for a slander case to be heard and/or eventually upheld there has to be bonafide evidence of damage done to the person who was slandered AND there has to be reasonable doubt the information was false (or unproven).

Newspapers get away with it as they are careful to say "allegedly" or "arrested" or "charged" or "suspected" as these can all be factual (and verified).

I am glad there is a picture posted of the suspected poachers - I would think the embarrassment alone may become a deterrent for some.

There is a small town in the US that post pictures of convicted criminals - and because the photos are public record and the court has convicted the person - there isn't a thing he/she can do about it.

I don't think Dago was out of line - there is more than enough evidence in that picture to suggest the fish were not of appropriate size.

Good on you !!! I hope someone who knows them calls them out - And I hope they get charged and convicted.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
That is correct - you can post a photo of anyone anytime in any public place and there are zero laws broken. As a matter of fact - you can take a picture of me in my backyard or through one of my windows of my house looking in and you have broken no law (assuming you were not trespassing).

It is is, on the other hand, illegal to slander someone - so post a picture and call some out for something they may not be guilty of could be a problem. In order for a slander case to be heard and/or eventually upheld there has to be bonafide evidence of damage done to the person who was slandered AND there has to be reasonable doubt the information was false (or unproven).

Newspapers get away with it as they are careful to say "allegedly" or "arrested" or "charged" or "suspected" as these can all be factual (and verified).

I am glad there is a picture posted of the suspected poachers - I would think the embarrassment alone may become a deterrent for some.

There is a small town in the US that post pictures of convicted criminals - and because the photos are public record and the court has convicted the person - there isn't a thing he/she can do about it.

I don't think Dago was out of line - there is more than enough evidence in that picture to suggest the fish were not of appropriate size.

Good on you !!! I hope someone who knows them calls them out - And I hope they get charged and convicted.
Nailed it.

Those were some good pictures. Hopefully these guys are charged and convicted.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:27 AM

I never said it was illegal to take someones picture in public,if their found guilty why put your butt in the line and let people know your out to nail every poacher,if he thinks it's okay in the way he did this than know big deal all the power to him.Just call up the local newspaper and let them take the heat off of you.

I hate poachers more than you can think and I didn't go on here to argue with know one.

I am just thinking about his safety,i use to live a small town and if someone found out you were a rat for anything they would burn your house down or bust your head one night coming out of the hotel and as soon as you got better they would bust your skull again.

I am not a violent person and I have never hurt know one in my life but I have heard and read news papers on what happens to some informants.

Times have changed in the mentality on how some people think,theirs crack heads,meth freiks all kinds off f/////up people.You don't know if the guy just got of jail or is a repeated offender and may try and stop you from turning him in.

Just go about it and keep nailing them but just be careful and good luck.

And yes if I never did anything wrong ,court or no court I would be very piissed off if you slander my face online and accuse me of doing something illegal ,it's called defamation of character.

Taking pics is no big deal but falsey accussing some
Old 07-06-2015, 11:44 AM

I never said it was illegal to take someones picture in public,if their found guilty why put your butt on the line and let people know your out to nail every poacher,if he thinks it's okay in the way he did this than no big deal all the power to him.Just call up the local newspaper and let them take the heat off of you.

I hate poachers more than you can think and I didn't go on here to argue with know one.

I am just thinking about his safety,i use to live a small town and if someone found out you were a rat for anything they would burn your house down or bust your head one night coming out of the hotel and as soon as you got better they would bust your skull again.

I am not a violent person and I have never hurt no one in my life but I have heard and read news papers on what happens to some informants.

Times have changed in the mentality on how some people think,theirs crack heads,meth freiks all kinds off f/////up people.You don't know if the guy just got of jail or is a repeated offender and may try and stop you from turning him in.

Just go about it and keep nailing them but just be careful and good luck.

And yes if I never did anything wrong ,court or no court I would be very piissed off if you slander my face online and accuse me of doing something illegal ,it's called defamation of character.

Taking pics is no big deal but falsely accussing someone and falsely incriminating that person in public if he is totally innocent is just not right and if you think this is ok you need your head checked.

Some off you may not agree but I am 100 percent on his side and just trying to tell him to be very carefull,that's all. sorry must have touch the save changes the wrong way

Last edited by JD848; 07-06-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:41 PM

JD 848 you watch to much Gangland Television...

Keep taking pictures and keep calling them in! only good poacher is a busted poacher

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 07-06-2015, 10:15 PM

Thanks for your concerns JD848. I guess we can't call them poachers until they are found guilty of poaching.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:17 AM

I don't know, I get that argument, innocent until proven guilty and being careful about accusations before the verdict is in and all but sometimes we just have to call a spade a spade. That water body is zero limit and a couple of those fish are clearly undersized. No tags attached to the fish, a clear attempt to conceal them, fishing with more than one rod and then when Dago calls out to them they split. Call them whatever you want, reserve judgement if you will, fair or unfair, the evidence is pretty convincing to me and I would suggest these 2 in the pics have totally brought all of this on themselves by way of their actions in this case. It is a certainty that it is illegal to possess fish from those waters.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:50 AM

Sorry, had Pine Coulée in my mind but this was Chin where the limit is 3 over 50cm so not a zero limit waterbody but those fish were still well under the slot length.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:35 PM

Good on you for reporting Dago. I've confronted and corrected a few this year just fishing at the Hwy 36 bridge, which is an easy access point, can't imagine what goes on at the out of the way places.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I've seen these 2 poaching at CVR and they're not Mexican. Unfortunately I didn't have enough photographic evidence for them to be charged.

However by posting photos online like this, you may have just compromised the ongoing investigation. And the next guy you do this to maybe legitimately harvesting walleye.

Far better to report it to RAP directly.
How are you so sure they aren't Mexican? Not brown enough? I'd say by the clothes and mini van there's at least a 90% probability that they are in fact Mexican Mennonite....
Old 07-08-2015, 12:13 PM

I think most people don't understand this Mexican Mennonites thing,I work in a car dealership and many of them have come to purchase vehicles in last year or so... most people think of "Mexican" they assume tanned skin and traditional looking Mexican u see on TV but these Mennonites are all white folk haha... just a thought
Old 07-08-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
By the language they were speaking. Maybe they just were recently poaching in Mexico and bought some clothes down there. The accelerated depreciating minivan they likely got here. And with all that poaching they're doing, they spend many hours in the sun.
These people speak in a low German.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:33 PM

Question Testify

Dago you still have to testify in court you took pictures or they wont stand as evidence against the accused....good luck..
Old 07-13-2015, 03:10 PM

Dago any update on these guys? Just wondering if F&W did anything?

Also for everyone disputing the fact the men in the photo are not Mexican Mennonite...I can assure you these men ARE Mennonite! They live down the street from me!
Old 07-13-2015, 05:33 PM
Banned

Hello Mr. Dago.

Have any news interests contacted you yet?

This might be an interesting story to follow directly to the ADM of SRD.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
Great on your for reporting!

To be respectable sportsman we really should not be throwing racial slurs. Pinning poaching on "Mexicans" or starting a "Chinese fire drill" is ridiculous. I am sure there are many people of all different heritages on this forum as well as partaking in outdoor activities that follow regulations and I am also just as sure that people of all different heritages poach as well. Using racial slurs on a public forum makes everyone look bad.
Some are just more prevalent and better at it than others.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:59 PM

OK so can someone explain what is meant by Mexican Mennonite?

Never heard the term before
Old 07-13-2015, 08:55 PM

They are descendants of the Dutch Mennonites. Most can still speak low German and some Dutch. They moved to Mexico cause they dont believe in schooling there kids after i believe grade 6. Canada and US wouldnt tolerate that so.

Mexico made a deal with them where they werent required to school there kids if they worked and bought the land that used to belong to the Hearst family who i think they (the Mennonites) worked for formerly. Hearst got in some trouble with Mexico if i remember my schooling correctly. Its fairly long and complicated i simply put a few things here. You can Google it for more info.

Guess i should add there are many different Mennonite groups and not all are from Holland. Many are Russian,German etc. And there all over not just Mexico.

Dago sorry for the sort of change of discussion. But the question as asked.

Last edited by cranky; 07-13-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:10 PM
Banned

Mr. Dago:

If this is permissible by the AO head office could you please post the SRD case number on this site?
Old 07-13-2015, 11:12 PM

Wow! We still on the Mexican Mennonite thing?? Who cares if they are Mexican Mennonite or not. Does it make a difference??! Think about it people. A poacher is a poacher. Doesn't matter what ethnicity they are. Do you think the courts care? I think those who instantly point out and blame a person's ethnicity are prejudiced and racist. Hey racist: what are you gonna do? Are you going to try to prevent Mexican Mennonites from getting fishing license?? Good luck with that one!
Old 07-13-2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Some are just more prevalent and better at it than others.
It only appears to be prevalent because you make a point of only specifically pointing out certain ethnic groups other than Caucasian.

"...and better at it than others."? Wow! How did you come up with this one?? Got any proof? Got any stats or data to back up your statement? Unbelievable!
Old 07-14-2015, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo View Post
It only appears to be prevalent because you make a point of only specifically pointing out certain ethnic groups other than Caucasian.

"...and better at it than others."? Wow! How did you come up with this one?? Got any proof? Got any stats or data to back up your statement? Unbelievable!
A frickin-men! Nicely put Lambo and thanks for taking a stand.
Back to the original post, hopefully Dago has an update soon.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:56 AM

I thought this thread was about illegal walleye being taken.

Just like a book and it's cover, I guess you can't judge a thread by it's title.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 07-14-2015, 12:12 PM
Gone Hunting

We need to be more aware of the feelings of poachers. That is all.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-14-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
A frickin-men! Nicely put Lambo and thanks for taking a stand.
Back to the original post, hopefully Dago has an update soon.
I talked to the officer doing the investigation today. He asked me if I'm willing to testify. I said yes I would.
He also told me of a case that was in court a couple weeks ago. Also involving walleye poached out of Chin during the closed season of this year.Is there a web site a guy can look for convictions in court. I would like to have the facts on hand before I say anymore.