Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-28-2011, 03:42 PM

Default 215 grn sierra game kings

any body load 215 grn game kings in a 338 win mag just bought one and wanted to get some input on these bullets looking at the data i am leaning towards these but wanted some input from people who have used them thanks
Old 11-28-2011, 04:45 PM

hmm have not tried the 215's, but have loaded and shot 50 rounds of the 250g SGK's and my Browning X-Bolt loved those with RL 19.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:32 PM

I have used factory Federal 225 gr SGK in my .338. As far as performance goes, I get about 1.25" groups out of them. The only thing I have shot with them is 2 wolves. They did die. Quickly. LOL
Old 11-28-2011, 08:36 PM

I used them in my win mag over IMR 4350, and got good accuracy out of them. I killed a big black bear with it, and that still stands as the quickest kill I have made on big game. This was only a 30 yd shot, so I am sure that contributed, but the bullet punched through and did it's job.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:04 PM

load some hornady a-max and dont look back, they kill stuff dead
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 11-29-2011, 08:35 PM

Used these and Reloader 22 in my 338 Win Mag. I used it on a Mulie hunt a few years ago when a scope came unglued on another rifle. Mule Deer did not complain and I was happy with the performance.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
load some hornady a-max and dont look back, they kill stuff dead
Since the A-max arent hunting bullets, what happens when you shoot a bear or moose that pops up in front of you at 30 yards?

Im sure the A-max is an acceptable bullet if you're talking a 300+ yard shot at an animal but you cant always predict how close the animals are going to be when they need shot at.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 11-30-2011, 09:02 AM

A bear or moose a 30 yards would die too. The Amax bullets work very well for hunting they do make reference to that on hornadys web site, and for that matter so do Bergers. I love how all these people that say an Amax or Berger won't work for hunting have never used them or read the manufactures web sites
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 11-30-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
A bear or moose a 30 yards would die too. The Amax bullets work very well for hunting they do make reference to that on hornadys web site, and for that matter so do Bergers. I love how all these people that say an Amax or Berger won't work for hunting have never used them or read the manufactures web sites
Actually I did read the manufactures website.

---

A-MAX® NOW featuring AMP™ bullet jackets!
Designed by match shooters for match shooters. With an ultra-low drag tip, our A-Max match bullets feature an aerodynamic secant ogive that delivers flat trajectories with excellent uniformity and concentricity. Find out more...

•Rapid, explosive expansion with limited penetration.
•Recommended muzzle velocity range: 2000+ fps.
These bullets are not recommended for hunting.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 11-30-2011, 02:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Mikee View Post
Actually I did read the manufactures website.

---

A-MAX® NOW featuring AMP™ bullet jackets!
Designed by match shooters for match shooters. With an ultra-low drag tip, our A-Max match bullets feature an aerodynamic secant ogive that delivers flat trajectories with excellent uniformity and concentricity. Find out more...

•Rapid, explosive expansion with limited penetration.
•Recommended muzzle velocity range: 2000+ fps.
These bullets are not recommended for hunting.
A-max flattens critters dead I like how we as hunters talk about bullet failures from dead game