Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-30-2010, 11:10 AM

Default Problem with 870, any ideas?

I've got an 870 Express (not the magnum) that I bought last fall at WSS for waterfowl and gophers in the spring however when I run 3" shells though it sticks in the chamber after firing say every 3rd shot. I've confirmed the gun can handle 3" shells, it's well cleaned/oiled. It was really bad when new but now it only happens every 3rd or fourth shot. Any ideas?
Old 03-30-2010, 11:29 AM

I saw this on one of the Sask. forums and made a mental bookmark for future reference since my boys were just given an 870 Express. I can't tell you if it works, I'm only repeating what I read. You could ask a gunsmith for an estimate and get his opinion. Let us know how it works out.

Quote:
a quick tip with the 870 expresses..

Remington's quality control has be a little shoddy as of late. Virtually all of the expresses that come from the factory have burrs/tooling marks in the chamber, that causes the head on the shells to catch and stick after the brass expands. To remedy this, remington (or any gunsmith) polishes the chambers.

If this happens, often the shell is REALLY stuck in the chamber, therefore also jamming the forearm and action. You need to give it a good smack with a dowel down the barrel to free it.

However, this is a really easy thing for anybody to fix in about 10 minutes.

take your bronze cleaning bush, and wrap a couple layers of 0000 steel wool around it. Give the whole works a liberal shot of gun oil, and insert the end of the brush in a power drill. With the drill on high, insert the brush/wool into the chamber (it only needs to go in as far as the shell extends, not into the forcing cone - so pretty much just the length of the brush), and let it run for 4-5 minutes while slowly working the drill in and out.

I've done this to four different 870's with this issue, and it's fixed them all. The same tip also helps semi-autos cycle smoother, and cleans up sticky rifles.

Last edited by BeerSlayer1; 03-30-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:37 AM

Thanx for the post! I'll defintaley give it a go and hopefully that will solve things.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:56 AM

the scotchbrite (grey)ultrafine works better than steel wool.use wd40 for oil.its not just remingtons quality control thats slipping.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:57 PM

I had the same thing happen with my 870 express I bought over this last xmas holidays. One stuck so bad that I riped extractor right through the rim of the shell. I removed barrel and wet sanded first 3/4" if chamber with 300 grit for few seconds. Have shot few thousand rounds since then with out a single probem. Just polished until it was all uniformly polished. What gives with remingtons QC? You hear bout there semi auto 597 in 17hmr recall.