Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-05-2013, 08:06 PM

Default Cutting own fire wood

I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to give me any info on cutting one's own fire wood in the calgary area (200km radius). Just want to be sure I don't break any rules.

This is all I could find for info.
http://srd.alberta.ca/FormsOnlineSer...s/Default.aspx
Old 02-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafhone View Post
I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to give me any info on cutting one's own fire wood in the calgary area (200km radius). Just want to be sure I don't break any rules.

This is all I could find for info.
http://srd.alberta.ca/FormsOnlineSer...s/Default.aspx
As far as I know you need a permit for $5 at a SRD office.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:20 PM

Any good info on good spots for fire kill or such would be greatly appreciated. Any advice really.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 PM

Iv went out a few yrs ago up by the shell plant cochrane way, when you buy the permitt, the will give ya a map where you can cut standing deadfall..got 1more camping season b4 I have to get more...
Old 02-05-2013, 09:04 PM

maybe ask a farmer who is doing some brushing? It is a great way to spend a day in the bush, bring a hibatchie, some meat, and a friend that works hard. I dont know if it is legal or not but whacking the tree down, dragging it out onto the road, turning it into rounds and chopping it on the spot saves one handling of the wood... cut, chop, unload, stack vs cut, load, unload, re-manuevre, chop, stack while chopping because you run out of room constantly.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:16 PM

The link you provded has a link on the left for maps of the various forestry zones you might want to utilize; heed the instructions of what you can and cannot cut that will print out with your map and permit, its pretty straightforward stuff. Within the forestry there will be areas they don't want cutting, such as within designated camping areas (don't want those barren!). If you're familiar with falling have at it; if you're not, be cautious of snags (dead trees partly fallen down but being held up by other trees) as those can be widowmakers. The permits have to be filled out with the date and your estimated load volume and species before you hit the road, much along the lines of tagging your fish or deer.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:18 PM

You can get the $5 permint online. better being safe than sorry. All you need is the legal land location and you are good to go. Some of the SRD offices have some areas designated for firewood and may adsk you to go there.