Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-05-2013, 03:21 PM

Default Instrument techs

Any instrument techs in here. Just curious as to what people are workjng at an how the industry is doing. Im a 4th year apprentice and just finishing my last period as we speak.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:19 PM

My son is a journeyman E&I tech working in the oil & gas, week in week out with lots of OT. Good money if your ambitious.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:33 PM

get into the PLC and programming side of things.. everyone is looking for good people that know their stuff; you shouldn't be worried about not being busy thats for sure.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:29 PM

I'm a journeyman working at a SAGD plant in the Ft. Mac area. As far as I know there's lots of work in the area you just need to be willing to work shift work. I'm on 7/7 and fly from Edmonton straight to the plant, not a bad commute once a week. Most of the guys I know in the area work similar shifts (7/7, 14/14) but these are all maintenance gigs. Construction shifts where I'm at were usually 10/4 or 14/7. All in all you picked a great trade to get into, usually a good mix of using troubleshooting skills as well as getting your hands dirty (the money's not bad either). As nd4spd said PLC and DCS experience are key-ours is mostly DCS control with the occasional PLC thrown in. When I worked in the gas field years ago things were a little different-lots of pneumatic controls and old school technology-but still fun to work on.