Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-06-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wolf View Post
I hope you made sure Shaw knows why you cancelled your account. Otherwise, they will not realize it is hunters that are boycotting them.
I gave them an earful. The AFGA email was a good source for giving them the facts.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:47 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack88 View Post
I gave them an earful. The AFGA email was a good source for giving them the facts.
Care to show the email? I'm curious if we were to list the top 10 global advertisers and to start emailing them why you are boycotting there companies with a Cc to shaw and global, how many feathers would that ruffle? I'm gonna try to make a list when I get home on the weekend.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:49 PM

I think you either get a hunting channel or download it. Got rid of cable so I would not complain about it anymore.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack88 View Post
Just cancelled my Shaw Direct account, will have Bell hooked up soon. We dont have to put up with this BS.
Does Bell carry SunTV yet? If they do, I'm right behind you.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
Care to show the email? I'm curious if we were to list the top 10 global advertisers and to start emailing them why you are boycotting there companies with a Cc to shaw and global, how many feathers would that ruffle? I'm gonna try to make a list when I get home on the weekend.
I like the way you think.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
I like the way you think.
Lol then it's you and me vs the World
Old 09-06-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
Does Bell carry SunTV yet? If they do, I'm right behind you.
Bell brought Sun TV back.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 09-06-2012, 04:02 PM

Here you guys go

Global TV, Shaw Media cancels all hunting shows

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE (Edmonton September 6, 2012)... Alberta's largest conservation group, the Alberta Fish & Game Association (AFGA), is disappointed that Global TV, owned by Shaw Media has decided to cancel all hunting shows as of the end of 2012. No reason for the decision has been provided, leaving it open for speculation.

Whatever the reason the cancellation of these shows does not make sense as hunting is a major contributor to the Canadian economy measured in the billions of dollars every year not to mention that this country was built on the backbone of hunting , fishing and trapping. In other words it is who we are. This is born out in the fact that the Government of Alberta has established a Fishing, Hunting and Trapping Heritage Act, as have several other provinces as well as the Federal Government developing the same.

Further evidence that the Government of Canada takes this seriously is the recent establishment of the National Hunting and Fishing Advisory Panel.

The removal of these shows is a direct slap in the face of hunters who, as a whole, have been the leaders in wildlife conservation for more than a century. As a matter of fact it was Canadian and American hunters that were the driving force behind the world acclaimed North American Model for Wildlife Conservation which is still in use today for wildlife management.

"It is our hope that Global/Shaw reconsiders this move and restores the hunting shows", said AFGA President Conrad Fennema. "To not do so is to renounce Canada's heritage."

The AFGA suggests that to share your thoughts with Global regarding this decision, please contact viewercontact@globaltv.com, glynnis.prystae@sjrb.ca and greg.mclelland@shawmedia.ca or call 1-877-307-1999.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunted View Post
It is all about money. Now that shaw has wild tv they want us all to subscribe to it. This makes them more money.
It's about a connection between the Vancouver Humane Society and Global/Shaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknorthernjk View Post
I received and email fromt he show confirming it was definitly the Vancouver Humane Society that petitioned Global and Shaw to cancel broadcasting hunting shows.
I received a reply email almost immediately from Canada in the Rough, and nothing from Shaw or Global yet.
The answer is to band together and cancel your Shaw support.
You got it right.

I emailed Shaw to let tham know that I will not be using any of their sevices due to this decision.

Quote:

What needs to be researched is WHO From Global/Shaw is in tight with the Vancouver Humane Society (VHS).

I smell partisanship between someone within Global/Shaw and the Vancouver Humane Society.

The question is WHO?

Hi Spidey.

The hunting show ban was a concerted effort by the VHS.

Right from their Webpage.

http://www.vancouverhumanesociety.bc...ision-hunting/

Quote:
Why does Global Television glorify hunting?
Global National Television carries at least three programs promoting hunting in Canada. Yet only about five per cent of Canadians are hunters (only two per cent in B.C.)

Talk about overkill.

According to an Ipsos-Reid public opinion poll in 2010, 62 per cent of Canadians say that hunting for sport amounts to cruelty to animals.

Some samples of the programming:

Canada in the Rough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MtqtOp68nw
The Hunter and Angler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTi20iws9WA
The Canadian Tradition: http://www.thecanadiantradition.com/

Comments can be made to: viewers@globalnational.com
Toll-free phone: 1-877-307-1999
By mail to:

Global Television
Shaw Media
121 Bloor St. East
Toronto, ON
M4W 3M5
CANADA

The VHS is already campaigning against charity status for the AFGA and other provincial and national wildlife organizations that support hunting.

http://www.vancouverhumanesociety.bc...ife-federation

Quote:
The truth behind the Canadian Wildlife Federation
by VHS on August 15, 2012

The Canadian Wildlife Federation (CWF) is categorized as an animal protection charity by the Canada Revenue Agency. But just what is the CWF protecting animals from when the organization is deeply rooted in the hunting and fishing community?

In fact, the CWF comprises twelve provincial organizations, most of which have a major focus on protecting and promoting hunting and fishing. The Alberta Fish and Game Association (a CWF founding member) states “Our passion is to promote…the conservation and utilization of fish and wildlife…” The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters advocates for “the protection of our hunting traditions” and offers such goodies as a ‘buck fillet knife’ and “hunting Christmas ornaments.”

The Newfoundland and Labrador Wildlife Federation states in its bylaws that “The purpose of the Federation shall be to promote, foster and protect the interests of the sportsmen of this province.” The B.C. Wildlife Federation states it is ‘a province-wide voluntary conservation organization of hunters, anglers and recreational shooters..”.

Even CWF president Dave Powell has served as vice-chairman of an organization called the Hunting for Tomorrow Foundation and is past-president of the aforementioned Alberta Fish and Game Association.

But unsuspecting animal lovers visiting the CWF website would find it difficult to make this connection to the hunting community. The website screams warm and fuzzy with wildlife photo contests and other motherhood-and-apple-pie activities. Rather than camouflage clothing and floating gun cases, their shopping section offers opportunities to adopt animals, including black bears and beluga whales, and Robert Bateman tote bags. Conservation is the operative word. But the question arises; for what purpose?

The only reference to the affiliates and their primary purpose is found in an obscure part of the website featuring Annual Reports. And unless one follows the links to these websites, there is no way to know that the conservation effort is about preserving animals so that they can continue to be hunted. It’s ironic that a donor can adopt a black bear, which is one of the animals hunted by the many ‘sportsmen’ who are behind the CWF and its affiliates. Most animal lovers would find this repugnant and feel duped to know that their donations were being used in this fashion.

This is not to say that the organization and its affiliates have not contributed significantly to the conservation of wildlife. However, the public, and most especially donors, have a right to know the policies of the organization they are supporting. It should be clearly stated in their written materials and on their website that they support hunting, fishing and trapping – in their words, the ‘wise use’ of wildlife.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:51 PM

Default My Email

Dear Sir:

Your companies decison to be a political puppet and cave to a few special interest groups that are anti-hunting or anti-gun is deplorable. It gives power to the fringe radical groups in our society that view anything that does not meet their standards of ethics or idealogue to be destroyed. In doing so they are destroying all of society's personal freedoms to believe and live as each of so chooses without infringing on others lives. Your company's actions has further emboldened and empowered them. Eventually they will dictate all of your programming that needs to be deleted or modified to suit their beliefs. And there will be many more such groups lining up to dictate to you. Will you capitulate to them all?

I am not asking to dictate your programing, but to not discriminate against me as a hunter, as you would not against any other group that operates eithically within the laws of Canada. Hunting and gun ownership has a long tradition in Canada and participants contribute through licences and donations and work to conservation efforts more than most of these groups that would like to see hunting discontinued.

Until such time as your company reverses its decision to capitulate to anti-gun anti-hunting interest groups, I will ensure your services are never alowed in my home. And I will spread word amoung all my freinds and family, strongly encouraging them to do the same.

Sincerely
Old 09-06-2012, 05:13 PM

Good thing Alberta passed that Hunting FiShing Heritage Act, similar to Manitoba And Sask might want to include the act in your emails etc. just a thought

Money is the carrot boycott of advertisers is the stick ...use them
Old 09-06-2012, 05:19 PM

My emails have been sent. I would suggest more do the same.

To whom it may concern,

I would like to voice my displeaseure at your recent decision to cancel all hunting shows from your network. It disappoints me that a network in todays society would buckle to the ramblings of a few special interests groups when millions of Canadians enjoy an activity that has been part of our heritage for centuries. Why you feel the need to discriminate againt me as a hunter is mind blowing. Hunting is a key part of wildlife management and is a useful tool to ensure healthy populations of game can survive in the wilds of Canada. I could go into the basics of how the dollars spent by hunters go towards the conservation of wildlife and the habitat they live in, but I am sure that would fall on def ears. It is for this reason that I will assure you that my family will NEVER AGAIN subscribe to Shaw and I will do my best to convience everyone I know to do the same.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:49 PM

emails sent , also sent a request to everyone on my email list to do the same
Old 09-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Banned

Ok for a Shaw to fish?????
And own a Lodge????
But not okay to show hunting shows????

Lots of questions here.

JR Shaw is as hardcore as they come for Salmon fishing.

Jamie
Old 09-06-2012, 08:41 PM

Cut and pasted Blackhearts email, within 2 hours this is what I got back from Shaw.

"Thank you for contacting Shaw E-Care. We appreciate the opportunity to correspond with you.

We have reveiwed your email and are you able to clarify how Shaw has capitulated to anti-gun and anti-hunting interest groups in our programming? We are not aware of a decision like that."

I'm assuming its just some desk worker that is actually unaware of the programming cut.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:09 AM

Bravo! Great article.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:25 AM

Excellent article.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 09-07-2012, 11:25 PM

I plagiarized like a demon from several well written posts added a bit and here is the result

Dear Sir:

Last week it was learned that Global TV, owned by Shaw Media, has cancelled all of its hunting programming after this season. While using the word “all” may convey there was a lot of hunting programs on the network, such was not the case. There were three shows – Canada in the Rough, The Canadian Tradition and Angler & Hunter Television. Global was the only network carrying the only Canadian hunting shows, and soon they will be gone.

Your companies decison to be a political puppet and cave to a few special interest groups that are anti-hunting or anti-gun is deplorable. It gives power to the fringe radical groups in our society that view anything that does not meet their standards of ethics or idealogue to be destroyed. In doing so they are destroying all of society's personal freedoms to believe and live as each of so chooses without infringing on others lives. Your company's actions has further emboldened and empowered them. Eventually they will dictate all of your programming that needs to be deleted or modified to suit their beliefs. And there will be many more groups like the Vancouver Humane Society lining up to dictate to you. Will you capitulate to them all?

I am not asking to dictate your programing, but to not discriminate against me as a hunter, as you would not against any other group that operates eithically within the laws of Canada. Hunting and gun ownership has a long tradition in Canada and participants contribute through licences and donations and work to conservation efforts more than most of these groups that would like to see hunting discontinued. It is in fact a recognized right in Alberta under the Hunting and Fishing Heritage Act, other provinces including Sask and Manitoba have similar acts. Canada was founded on hunting and trapping. It’s part of our heritage, our history and if we truly want our wild lands to stay wild, it must be part of our future.

Until such time as your company reverses its decision to capitulate to anti-gun anti-hunting interest groups, I will ensure your advertisers such as Coke, Pepsi, Ford, Dodge,Canadian Tire etc understand why I am boycotting their goods and services. This email will be posted on message boards and sent to friends and family strongly encouraging others to do the same.

Sincerely,

Thoughts?
Old 09-08-2012, 12:24 AM

http://outdoorcanada.ca/23771/blogs/...ity-up-in-arms
Give this article a read.
Shimano Canada’s Director, Environmental Affairs has offered some well written words on our behalf.
A thank you to all providing their support.

I'm not an avid angler, thanks to Mr. Phil Morlock I will be investing some funds in some Shimano tackle.

Last edited by blacknorthernjk; 09-08-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:35 AM

Read the comments section the antis are well prepared to fight us on this they are organized time to ight fire with fire
Old 09-08-2012, 12:44 AM

Perhaps its time to just start dropping shaw's services and look for other options. The only way to send a message to them.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:22 AM

There are outdoors channels on the network now you can subscribe to if you want to see the channels. Shaw/Global recognises a special interest group, and makes them pay for it.

Like others have said, if you don't like it, cancel your cable. You can stream the news every night, stream live sporting events, hell netflix lets you watch 'alright' movies for 8$/month as well!
Old 09-08-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAlbertan View Post
get off both... and go hunting!
Get out there and support your Fish and Game. Narrow Lake Conservation Camp Meeting today, Our Junior 42nd Annual Trap Shoot Tomorrow, Sherwood Parks Fish and Game was Thursday Night. Who needs TV to keep busy?????
Old 09-08-2012, 08:34 AM

Default Peta

Quote:
Read the comments section the antis are well prepared to fight us on this they are organized time to ight fire with fire
If you guys did not know this about the anti's. Peta has MILLIONS of dollars at their disposal and we cant get enough people to join the AFGA??? If you are a Bowhunter, you should belong to the ABA. If you shoot firearms, you should belong to the NFA and if you Fish and the other two, you should belong to AFGA.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:54 AM

Email sent, I myself am cancelling star choice shaw , my ol man, fil, 2 bil and a few buddy's are aswell . Looks like Bell it is hopefully they do not cater to antis in the future.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Ok for a Shaw to fish?????
And own a Lodge????
But not okay to show hunting shows????

Lots of questions here.

JR Shaw is as hardcore as they come for Salmon fishing.

Jamie
Is this a private ( I would guess so) lodge? If it was a customer driven one pressure and attention could be brought to attention aswell.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:03 AM

Email sent. I will ensure friends, family and colleagues are informed as well. I agree that this is not just about hunters and fishermen's entertainment choices.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:13 AM

i was just digging around on the VHS website (after sending emails and a couple of phone calls). They state that to reduce cruelty to farm animals we should get our meat from "organic producers"..............WHAT IS MORE ORGANINC THAN THE BUSH??????

they go into geat detail about the suffering my T-bone went through before it was on my BBQ but no mention of the WT tenderloins next to it.

AGHHHHHHHHH.........soooooo frustrating, too many emails to send.....not enough hours in the day.

guns dont kill people, fathers with attractive daughters kill people.

"every bullet from a 30-06 is guided downrange by God himself" - Huntinstuff
Old 09-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
Is this a private ( I would guess so) lodge? If it was a customer driven one pressure and attention could be brought to attention aswell.
No, it's not a private Lodge. But there is a whole bunch of Shaw employees and guests there.

Here is the web site
http://eaglepointelodge.com/

Like I said, I dont know if this choice came from well above. JR shaw is a regular on our water.

Jamie
Old 09-08-2012, 05:00 PM

Arg. Animal rights froot-loops. I still don't get how anyone takes them seriously.

I'm very disappointed that the apartment building I live in is primarily set up for Shaw internet. Telus hasn't done anything stupid like this have they?
I couldn't find anything in a Google search and I just got into the hunting world seriously, so don't know who is for what.