Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2013, 11:02 PM

Default Hawaii without American interference.....

What do you think the islands would be like now? Not having been to other countries or nations, I always wonder what Oahu would look like, where they would be if not for the treaty agreements.

Hawaii is the only state with an Asian majority, would it still be Hawaii, or Japan's most Eastern Province?

It is strange seeing the way people live here, alcohol is dirt cheap and available EVERYWHERE. Homeless are everywhere, story is that many states load up homeless with a one way ticket to Hawaii, where you can live in a tent 365 days per year.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-04-2013, 11:06 PM

Lots of homeless in California for the same reason and Vancouver.... Nice weather brings the homeless....

LC
Old 02-04-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
alcohol is dirt cheap and available EVERYWHERE.
I thought the same thing when I was there. talking to Americans from the mainland, they complained about it being so expensive!

It was strange seeing so many homeless with tubes sticking out of them, like the hospital didn't even bother to remove them before kicking them out the front door. I guess it's just the difference between health care systems, idk.

If you get the chance there is a pretty cool tour you can take in Hilo. Jumping in a cage a mile off shore and getting face to face with sharks! The one thing I wish I did while I was there.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:23 PM

Talking

My thought exactly! All I'd have to do is get there, and then I could live on nothing and eat pineapple.

Aloha!

TF
Old 02-04-2013, 11:25 PM

Some things are very cheap, 1.5l bottles of water are .68c at Costco, 40's of vodka $16.00.
Beer is $25 for 24 bottles, and so on.

I still would love to go fishing, but man wow does this place swallow cash!

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-04-2013, 11:51 PM
Banned

I'm a cheap skate when it comes to fishing.

Several times I've just gone down to the docks real early in the morning, shot the crud with some guys, then swung an awesome deal.

If you have no expectations you will have no disappointments.

I'm sure there are opportunities to be had fishing from shore, just a matter of reaching out and finding the right people.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
What do you think the islands would be like now? Not having been to other countries or nations, I always wonder what Oahu would look like, where they would be if not for the treaty agreements.

Hawaii is the only state with an Asian majority, would it still be Hawaii, or Japan's most Eastern Province?

It is strange seeing the way people live here, alcohol is dirt cheap and available EVERYWHERE. Homeless are everywhere, story is that many states load up homeless with a one way ticket to Hawaii, where you can live in a tent 365 days per year.
Depends who would have ended up annexing them

Lets face it... that was inevitable.

If it was the English... they'd probably do OK.
The Spanish... it would look like Haiti
The French... somewhere in between.

The Americans beat everyone to the punch though... so I guess that must be why it looks much like Puerto Ricco.

Too bad but that does explain why there is (or so I'm told...) a sense of alienation in Hawaii and Alaska that is similar to that between the west and Ottawa.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:05 AM

I moved out of the States in June 2009 but I can tell you homeless people abound in the Nation's Capital. During the winter many grab a steam grate and make a tent over it with blankets and during real cold spells they open many City office buildings and get the homeless out of the cold at least for that night. Trust me that is not a solution but I don't think the mainland is shipping homeless folks off to Hawaii. Could be but I don't think so. I just did a bit of google on Hawaii's homeless situation and it is the same as every other state in the United States - often they are elderly - the rents are expensive based on what they get from Social Security and they end up not being able to afford a roof over their heads. This happens on the East Coast and if it happens there I am sure it is across the USA, including Hawaii.

I think it is sad that folks reach their elder years and what many have is a homeless situation but I don't know the answer. Many cultures do not allow their elderly to not be part of the family, including living arrangements. Mainstream States folks could take a lesson from that. Blacks are particularly very very caring towards the elder members of their families. Whites could learn a huge lesson just from watching how those families operate in the States. I am not throwing out race cards here but I lived there for 54 years on the east coast and watched how many families handled their elders. We have one in our family. Would she come to Alberta where I could take care of her easily? No. Are there two other children in the States who can see to her care? Yes and they do a fine job - one of them put $500.00 on her electric bill over Christmas - she called me today to see if we had done it. I wish we could have done it but no, it was not us this time. I actually do not know what plans my Mom has for when she can no longer live on her own. I thought I knew as she had told my best friend but SILs tell me different now. Would she move into one of their homes? No way - would not work. I think my older brother plans to move her to his place in a separate "house" he built for his wife's craft room (funny how he roughed in a kitchen setup then dry-walled over it and built a bedroom with a sliding door and handicap ramp) when Mom can no longer be on her own. He would take care of her and trust me she would be well taken care of and happier then if she was forced to move to Alberta.

BUT back to the original post Hawaii without American Interference............HEY that is our 50th State we need it And it has been said for years that things are more expensive in Hawaii than on the main 48 states probably for the same reason they are more expensive in Northern Alberta then they are in even Edmonton................the cost to get it here. When fuel was 30 cents a litre/liter (I don't know how to spell it I use gallons) less expensive right at Edmonton then it was in Manning in November I was shocked. Not 3 or 10 or even 13 cents but 30 cents.........that is a price difference and yes, it costs to truck it all the way up here...............so we pay because what are our choices? The folks who live in Hawaii all of the time have adjusted but the elderly don't necessarily get enough money in SS to account for where they live and there is joblessness there just like any place else and those folks end up on the street too. The benefits there are you can sleep in a park, a cave or on the beach a lot more of the year then you can many other places. Still sad to see folks without a home.

I guess after living in Alberta a trip to Hawaii would not seem so expensive to me...............
Old 02-05-2013, 12:14 AM

Ken: I don't know if you care for reading when on holidays. There is a novel called Hawaii by James Mitchener. I read it years ago. It goes through the history of the various people that came to live on the islands right from the very beginning to present. It is a historical novel. If you have time, you should give it a try. It would be especially interesting to read it while over there.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhawk View Post
Ken: I don't know if you care for reading when on holidays. There is a novel called Hawaii by James Mitchener. I read it years ago. It goes through the history of the various people that came to live on the islands right from the very beginning to present. It is a historical novel. If you have time, you should give it a try. It would be especially interesting to read it while over there.
It is! Thats exactly what i did. Bu the book is based around Maui. Very cool to see the ship mitchner wrote of.
Alaska is another killer book.

Jamie
Old 02-05-2013, 12:25 AM

[QUOTE=Batwoman;1835654]

Blacks are particularly very very caring towards the elder members of their families. Whites could learn a huge lesson just from watching how those families operate in the States. I am not throwing out race cards here but I lived there for 54 years on the east coast and watched how many families handled their elders. QUOTE]

How could anyone possibly think that there are any race cards being thrown around in a statement like this?
Old 02-05-2013, 12:43 AM

Default OOPs I just knew I would blow it..............

Ya know I just knew I would word that wrong....and I did true to form. What I meant is that in the area I am from in the States, in black families there is more inclusion of their elders to stay in the family than in white families (yeah I know I should type that other word caucassddnnsadnfdslla but you see I cannot spell it and am too lazy to grab the dictionary at this hour). Other nationalities represented in the area I am from (India, Japan, China, Hispanic and there are others I just cannot remember specifics on all of them) seem to embrace their elders more than them other people.

Watch me get a warning on this post...............or the previous one...........someone will complain, I will get a warning from Keg most likely and I will retreat to Facebook................where I get in way less trouble. Well my Pepsi is gone so I should be getting gone too. Night folks.

[QUOTE=New Hunter Okotoks;1835669]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batwoman View Post

Blacks are particularly very very caring towards the elder members of their families. Whites could learn a huge lesson just from watching how those families operate in the States. I am not throwing out race cards here but I lived there for 54 years on the east coast and watched how many families handled their elders. QUOTE]

How could anyone possibly think that there are any race cards being thrown around in a statement like this?

Last edited by Batwoman; 02-05-2013 at 12:44 AM. Reason: cause I messed up
Old 02-05-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Sounds like the bloom is off the rose and you are starting to be more critical of what lies beneath all that beauty.That is probably a good thing.
Like marrying a supermodel and finding out she is ugly inside!!
Maybe 3 times to Hawaii is too much and time to see some other places.

Last edited by omega50; 02-05-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:57 AM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

[
QUOTE=pesky672;1835646]Depends who would have ended up annexing them

The Americans beat everyone to the punch though... so I guess that must be why it looks much like Puerto Ricco.

Too bad but that does explain why there is (or so I'm told...) a sense of alienation in Hawaii and Alaska that is similar to that between the west and Ottawa.[/QUOTE]

Ummm...small detail I know but...
Haiti IS French
Dominican Republic is Spanish.

Tom A toe...Tom a toe...at the end of the day they are both very poor countries. Believe it or not they still dislike each other.
Regards,
Dave.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Wish View Post
[
QUOTE=pesky672;1835646]Depends who would have ended up annexing them

Too bad but that does explain why there is (or so I'm told...) a sense of alienation in Hawaii and Alaska that is similar to that between the west and Ottawa.

Ummm...small detail I know but...
Haiti IS French
Dominican Republic is Spanish.

Tom A toe...Tom a toe...at the end of the day they are both very poor countries. Believe it or not they still dislike each other.
Regards,
Dave.
[/QUOTE]

The Island of Hispanola started out as a Spanish Colony... the French got their bit as part of a war settlement and did nothing to improve upon what the previous owners left behind.
Thats why they speak Creole.

And yes... the Haitians and folks in the DR do not mix.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:41 PM

Molokai has cheap hotels and has a low density population. Relatively undeveloped. Nice if you don't mind the neighbors.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Buy the book over there before you leave, I did and it is way cheaper than in Canada
Old 02-06-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
Buy the book over there before you leave, I did and it is way cheaper than in Canada
I am looking, thank you!

Old 02-06-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Sounds like the bloom is off the rose and you are starting to be more critical of what lies beneath all that beauty.That is probably a good thing.
Like marrying a supermodel and finding out she is ugly inside!!
Maybe 3 times to Hawaii is too much and time to see some other places.

Nope, not at all. Already planning the next one here.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a plan!

Old 02-06-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I am looking, thank you!
Airport was where I got it, still cheaper than Canada
Old 02-06-2013, 10:26 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Required reading ^ for anyone who is serious about learning the 'real/full' story of Hawaii.

TF
Old 02-06-2013, 10:33 PM

Or, if anyone coud lend me one they are not using anymore....