Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doetracks View Post
Horse crap on NRA vs the tobacco lobby. Last I checked, you can't buy a membership to the "tobacco lobby".

Nice attempt at deflecting the intent of the NRA. The NRA has always been "pro-sportsman". Of COURSE they lobby for the people, of COURSE they lobby for the manufacturers. If there were no guns, there would be no sportsman, there would be no shooting sports.
A LOT OF HORSE CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Power abuse is an epidemic everywhere, particularly when one has it in for another. Small people amass when necassary and sometimes, punks powertrip when they have feelings of infuriority for reasons only known to themselves. Mental illness can be mild to severe just as violent crime comes in many forms. What is needed is a TRUE lobby of gun owners who stand together for ideals where guns are merely the symbols of an ideology.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Horse crap on NRA vs the tobacco lobby. Last I checked, you can't buy a membership to the "tobacco lobby".

Nice attempt at deflecting the intent of the NRA. The NRA has always been "pro-sportsman". Of COURSE they lobby for the people, of COURSE they lobby for the manufacturers. If there were no guns, there would be no sportsman, there would be no shooting sports.
And if there were no animals....there would be no hunting....this is a similar comparison to ur comment

What is it ur trying so eliquently not to say
Old 02-05-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
........In January 1929 there were 26 killings. Forty-two people were killed in Chicago last month, the most in January since 2002, and far worse than the city's most notorious crime era at the end of the Roaring Twenties.

Even though the image of Chicago, perpetuated by Hollywood over the years, was that mobsters routinely mowed down people on the streets, the crime stats tell a different story. The figures from January 2013 are significantly higher than the January of Al Capone's most famous year.

With Friday's fatal gunshot attack on a vehicle on a Lake Shore Drive, February is starting as January left off. But if the current murder rate continues, February 2013 will far exceed February 1929, when there were 26 killings, and that number includes the attack known around the world, the St. Valentine's Day Massacre. In that single slaughter, seven people were lined up against a warehouse wall on North Clark Street and gunned down. It was a bootlegging dispute between North and South Side mob gangs.
That hasn't changed between then and now, as police today cite street gangs and drugs for the rise in killings.

The 42 murders in January is nowhere near the most ever in a month, but even that figure is not from the rat-a-tat-tat years. It is from the early 90s, when police also said a mix of gangs and drugs fueled the tremendous number of killings.

In January 1992 there were 77 murders in Chicago. That is the January record. Most of the murders then and this year were with guns. That was also the case in 1929.

There was no real gun control back in Capone's day. The first national firearms act wasn't signed until 1934.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...eam&id=8977635

I knew they should not have legalized booze
Old 02-05-2013, 07:29 PM

so they are using the month of January and not accounting for the fact Chicago s population has probably double or quadrupled in the last 84 years??

Coooool.... Guess what? drinking and driving is actually safer than driving sober... More people smash up cars sober as a judge on a day to day basis
Old 02-05-2013, 07:32 PM

What about my statement do you not understand?

The NRA is comprised of manufacturers, enthusiasts, hobbyists, patriots, whatever - it is not solely funded by the manufacturers. What is the current membership of the NRA? 4 Million? I'd like to see a concrete number but that's what I found on a quick search. I''ll look on the NRA site later.

The tobacco lobby? Funded by the producers. Can you buy a membership to the tobacco lobby?

That's my point.

NRA/NFA Supporter and "...gun toting tea party psychotard..." -
Old 02-05-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
Everyone else - thanks.

I think it's important to know about the other side of gun story - the side that consists of facts instead of fear.

Gun control is the tip of the Progressive spear. That's where conservatives can stop them and, if we do it right, improve public safety to boot.

As for the U.S. side, it has rarely been more important to follow what is going on south of the 49th, for a lot of reasons. I want America to succeed. I want America to be healthy and optimistic....and safer. We should all want that much because, if for no other reason, it's in our own interests.
You are welcome but it is us who owe you A GREAT DEAL OF THANKS!!!!. And, this was very well said in many ways. score. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantonsen View Post
so they are using the month of January and not accounting for the fact Chicago s population has probably double or quadrupled in the last 84 years??

Coooool.... Guess what? drinking and driving is actually safer than driving sober... More people smash up cars sober as a judge on a day to day basis
According to the population statistics, Chicago's pop in 1929 was 3.2 million. It is now 2.7 million or so.

Not sure if that is just metro Chicago but I'm guessing it is. And, that's from Wiki. It is what it is.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_was_t...1989_1999_2009

Old 02-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
Incorrect....The tip of the progressive spear is health and science....always has been...always will be....guns are just a distraction
I have interpreted the word progressive as a descriptive of the action of control.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:35 PM

Thanks, score

Old 02-05-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCanuck View Post
There does seem to be a tendancy in some, to sort of shout down folks whose opinions differ from theirs.

Look at the nonsense some of the human rights tribunals have undertaken in Canada.

Free speech is the best kind. Rock on Rocky!
Rock on indeed!...He sure is a bee in the bonnet for some of our fellow Libs on the forum.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
What about my statement do you not understand?

The NRA is comprised of manufacturers, enthusiasts, hobbyists, patriots, whatever - it is not solely funded by the manufacturers. What is the current membership of the NRA? 4 Million? I'd like to see a concrete number but that's what I found on a quick search. I''ll look on the NRA site later.

The tobacco lobby? Funded by the producers. Can you buy a membership to the tobacco lobby?

That's my point.
Understood and correct .
Old 02-05-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
Rock on indeed!...He sure is a bee in the bonnet for some of our fellow Libs on the forum.
I don't post in the general section, but enjoy reading it, and like Rocky7's threads and posts, hope he keeps it up if if he gets back!

I cannot believe the amount of anti gun sentiment we have here on an "outdoorsmen" board, and why some of the anti's are allowed to stay on here.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
x100000000!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
HA, don't think so when +/-90% of Americans, including the majority of NRA members, want universal background checks. Only 7% of all Americans oppose universal background checks. The NRA doesn't lobby for gun owners, they lobby for the people that pay them the big bucks.......the gun manufacturers, much the same as the tobacco lobby lobbies for the cigarette manufacturers.
LaPierre was on the news talking about how the background checks won't work. The record system for mental illness is not computerized or universal between the states. A computer check has a poor chance of turning up someone with mental health issues.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
LaPierre was on the news talking about how the background checks won't work. The record system for mental illness is not computerized or universal between the states. A computer check has a poor chance of turning up someone with mental health issues.
It`s called documentation sonny boy.....everyone has a record....even u
Old 02-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
I cannot believe the amount of anti gun sentiment we have here on an "outdoorsmen" board, and why some of the anti's are allowed to stay on here.
Thinking that the gun issue is divided into two groups, either pro gun or anti gun, is rather simplistic thinking and there's quite a bit more that is involved. I am pro gun however I also support, like +/-90% of Americans do, universal background checks in the US for all firearms purchases. Only 7% of Americans oppose them. Do you think that 90% of Americans are anti's?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Thinking that the gun issue is divided into two groups, either pro gun or anti gun, is rather simplistic thinking and there's quite a bit more that is involved. I am pro gun however I also support, like +/-90% of Americans do, universal background checks in the US for all firearms purchases. Only 7% of Americans oppose them. Do you think that 90% of Americans are anti's?
I think those stats are biased. It all depends who you ask and what area. Did the majority of people asked belong to a university? Did they belong to a gun club? What about victims of firearms groups?

You ever look at the numbers of people asked/participants for these surveys. Its normally a thousand people asked, Out of a nation of 350 million +.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
That must have been yesterday, today his reasoning is that he opposes it because the government will turn it into a gun registry. The first excuse wasn't selling so he turned to the proven NRA fear mongering tactic. I guess that if you throw enough darts at a board ones bound to stick eh?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
I think those stats are biased. It all depends who you ask and what area. Did the majority of people asked belong to a university? Did they belong to a gun club? What about victims of firearms groups?

You ever look at the numbers of people asked/participants for these surveys. Its normally a thousand people asked, Out of a nation of 350 million +.
I posted up the link to those polls just the other day on one of these gun threads if you care to look.....I think that it might be the one that Sundance started, I can't remember. They were polls from reputable polling agencies like Gallup, Harvard, PEW, etc........there were numerous. A couple also listed responses by Democrat or Republican and at least one had responses from NRA members. Well worth a look if you want to get a feel for what Americans think.

The NRA even has one on their website from some unknown polling firm but it didn't, strangely enough, include the question about universal background checks and no one took it very seriously.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Banned

So now that this thread has been derailed....
Can someone explain the meaning of this OP
What does Capone have to do with current gun issues....I dont get it
Old 02-05-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantonsen View Post

Good guess from 2.6 million to 9.8 million.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Banned

To show how gun control law is not the answer?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:42 PM

NRA and polling.

http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns...._opinion.shtml

A bit old however
Old 02-05-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
So now that this thread has been derailed....
Can someone explain the meaning of this OP
What does Capone have to do with current gun issues....I dont get it
It is a relative point in history.

The years of Capone's gangs were some of the most violent in Chicago's history. It is used as a benchmark. The comparison was between now (strict gun control) and then (no gun control).

And it wasn't the OP making the comparison, it was a journalist. The OP was posting the info for us.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
It is a relative point in history.

The years of Capone's gangs were some of the most violent in Chicago's history. It is used as a benchmark. The comparison was between now (strict gun control) and then (no gun control).

And it wasn't the OP making the comparison, it was a journalist. The OP was posting the info for us.
OP means Original Post.....now u learned something new

And I know what the OP was about....I was just tryin to get it back on track...thanks for playing along
Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
OP means Original Post.....now u learned something new
Original Poster *correction*
Old 02-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Original Poster *correction*
OOPs spelling correction....thanks
I learned something new
Old 02-05-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywiththemule View Post
Agreed.
Agreedx10000!!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Banned

Hmmm

Homicides in Chicago Metro by year
1928: 399[6]
2012: 506[11]

Chicago population

Chicago Metro 1930 population:3,376,438

Chicago Metro 2012 population:9,729,825

Homicide Rate 1928: 1 per 8462.25
Homicide Rate 2012" 1 per 19228.90

I guess they forgot to consider that the higher number of homicides might have more to do with a population that has tripled since the roaring 20's than anything else.

Funny how facts... taken out of context can be so mis-leading.

Naturally no responsible journalist or anyone else with scruples would do that on purpose.
Its purely a co-incidence that the guys reporting this stuff also happened to fail junior high math.

Now would be a good time to say something like Happy Pre-emptive April Fools or something Rocks.

Just sayin....
Old 02-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
Hmmm

Homicides in Chicago Metro by year
1928: 399[6]
2012: 506[11]

Chicago population

Chicago Metro 1930 population:3,376,438

Chicago Metro 2012 population:9,729,825

Homicide Rate 1928: 1 per 8462.25
Homicide Rate 2012" 1 per 19228.90

I guess they forgot to consider that the higher number of homicides might have more to do with a population that has tripled since the roaring 20's than anything else.

Funny how facts... taken out of context can be so mis-leading.

Naturally no responsible journalist or anyone else with scruples would do that on purpose.
Its purely a co-incidence that the guys reporting this stuff also happened to fail junior high math.

Now would be a good time to say something like Happy Pre-emptive April Fools or something Rocks.

Just sayin....
Well, I guess that blows my theory of them being too drunk on bootlegged Canadian whiskey to shoot straight right out of the water.
Closed Thread