Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-05-2013, 04:46 PM

Question Is the Ministik Bird Sanctuary Crown Land?

Hello, new member here, not new to the outdoors. I am wondering if the Ministik Bird Sanctuary is in fact crown land or privately owned. I have hiked several cut lines and the Waskahegan Trail and there are signs posted by the landowner to stay on trail. This confuses me. So, does anyone know? Is the landowner in fact the government? I want to camp out here sometime, and have been told not to because you are not allowed. That being said, I don't think anyone would be the wiser if I did. A definitive answer would however ease my mind and conscience.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2013, 05:24 PM

I would advise against camping out there.
The Ministick Witch has been know to haunt that place after dark.
If she does'nt get you, the cougars or odd back bear may very well be your demise.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:13 PM

Ministik witch? I have been in here after dark many times. Its spooky, but I don't think that it is haunted. Maybe by native spirits. Lol. I have however heard of cougars in the area and have seen bear scat by the firetower. Seriously, is there folklore pertaining to a Ministik Witch?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:32 PM

Oh for sure. Stop in at the Ministick school sometime.
They have a wall in their library dedicated to the subject

Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 PM

My son goes to school there. I will have to look for it next time I am there.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 PM

Witch? If anyone has the story behind this, please do tell.

Been out there last winter looking for rabbits (no luck), saw evidence of people camping. No witch though, lol.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:24 PM
Banned

Stupid question but I've always wanted to know,,,sorry for the slight derail...

Is it pronounced Mini-stick or ministic?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 PM

Default Ministick

If you are a local, you give it a nick name Mini-stick, have some fun with it. Otherwise go with Ministuck/stick. You will sound like a fool if you call f+w asking about it.
Kind of like calling the laughing Llamma gas station on Wye road the "giggling goat". Get it? the gigg... ah, nevermind.

Now beware of the witch. I'm probably going to be cursed just for speaking about her. Dang it!
Dac

Old 02-05-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim Low View Post
Witch? If anyone has the story behind this, please do tell.

Been out there last winter looking for rabbits (no luck), saw evidence of people camping. No witch though, lol.

I think WhiskeyWish can probably dig up a good story. Dave?

Old 02-05-2013, 11:45 PM

How do you knooowww she's a witch....BURN!

sorry cant help it when I hear the word...lol chain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJFA6uEfUlM
Old 02-06-2013, 12:16 AM

This article dated feb16/12 might answer some of your questions

http://www.leducrep.com/2012/02/16/m...ates-100-years

or this

http://www.snowandmud.com/tri-county...rails-544.html
Old 02-06-2013, 02:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
If you are a local, you give it a nick name Mini-stick, have some fun with it. Otherwise go with Ministuck/stick. You will sound like a fool if you call f+w asking about it.
Kind of like calling the laughing Llamma gas station on Wye road the "giggling goat". Get it? the gigg... ah, nevermind.

Now beware of the witch. I'm probably going to be cursed just for speaking about her. Dang it!
Dac
Well that explains the odd looks and why folks out that way lean in and talk slow whenever I've said what I thought the name was....
Damn... they probably think I wore a hockey helmet to school....

Great... another town to add to my no-go list.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidetripod View Post
Ministik witch? I have been in here after dark many times. Its spooky, but I don't think that it is haunted. Maybe by native spirits. Lol. I have however heard of cougars in the area and have seen bear scat by the firetower. Seriously, is there folklore pertaining to a Ministik Witch?
Never seen or heard of a Cougar out that way, but heard from many people that bears are common in that area. Carefull of the Witch! (Trouble) if you know what I mean.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:39 AM

I heard she's a liberal! Vewwwwy scary
Old 02-06-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike View Post
This article dated feb16/12 might answer some of your questions

http://www.leducrep.com/2012/02/16/m...ates-100-years

or this

http://www.snowandmud.com/tri-county...rails-544.html
Thanks Klondike, the first article answered my question right away. So, while I am camping out here I. Will definatley be witch hunting as well. I hear they are always in season.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
Stupid question but I've always wanted to know,,,sorry for the slight derail...

Is it pronounced Mini-stick or ministic?
I've always heard it pronounced as min-is-tic.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Both bear and cougar in the area.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
Well that explains the odd looks and why folks out that way lean in and talk slow whenever I've said what I thought the name was....
Damn... they probably think I wore a hockey helmet to school....

Great... another town to add to my no-go list.

Thanks for that Pesky. Best laugh of the day so far.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Gone Fishing

For a nominal fee I can lift the curse if you get one !
Old 02-06-2013, 02:38 PM

Hey Snidetripod,

I have camped out there a couple of times, including being kicked off the right of way on one of the entrances. Inside the park you are fine, but you should be a bit careful. If you are camping outside of the hunting seasons, there are a few fellows that quad through there and they can be interesting to deal with. There are some bears and I have seen sign of a cougar, but no confirmed sightings directly.

Now as far as seeing a withc, well the reason I go there is to avoid seeing the witch. . .haven't heard or seen anything supernatural out there other than very wild territory.

Cheers.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:47 PM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

Imagine my surprise upon reading this thread to find my name called to provide some fact to a story about witches?

I surmise we are speaking of the same Ministik? The one just downriver from Maxitwig?

Well it just so happens I do know the story of the Witch of Ministik. Grab a brew and a chair and prepare to read.
Regards,
Dave.

The Witches of Ministik Lake
A “short”tale by Whiskey Wish.

Ah yes, I see someone has mentioned the Witch that haunts the Ministik trails. This is a particularly haunting and sad story that would soften the heart of even the most hard hearted outdoorsmen, YES...EVEN the heart of He Who Wields the Ban Hammer here on the Alberta Outdoorsmen forum!
A sad tale indeed.

First of all some clarification is required. History, as it is often wont to do, has changed or lost some of the details of the Witch that haunts the trails of Ministik. I, however, have the complete and true story as told to me by a friend of my second cousin twice removed. A most un-impeachable source as all who frequent the forum can attest, due to the fact this same relationship is so often used to back up the li....errrr... entirely fact based stories told about hunting, fishing and general outdoor activities on this same forum.

So now that we have established that my sources are indeed trustworthy beyond reproach I shall endeavour to clear up some of the missing details. First of all it is the Witches...plural... that haunt the trails of Ministik, not the singular as is so often used. This is a common flaw of history and humans as it is very easy to lose an errant “s” in the telling and re-telling of a story over the generations. Similar in many ways to the oft heard “Only ONE beer Officer”!

The second detail of matter is that technically they are not Witches but indeed Warlocks; such is the gender distinction between males and females that inhabit the Netherworld. Really a small matter as anyone who has ever encountered a denizen of the afterlife may explain; the fear is equal regardless of gender.

Now a third detail while seemingly small that is, however, very germane to the proper telling of the Tale. Ministik is actually a misspelling of two proper names Mini Schtick, Schtick being the surname of the family involved and a word often used by my friends and family to describe my stories. Here we get to the meat of the legend as we learn that the Family Schtick consisted of a Father, Mother and three brothers who were that most rare of biological accidents, identical triplets!

The Schtick family were pillars of their community, well spoken of and liked by all who knew them. They lived and farmed on the shores of what we now call Ministik Lake which was then known by its First Nations name “Justanotherdamnlakeontheprairies”.

The Schticks were very proud of their new children and proceeded to tell the entire community of their good fortune. Father Schtick took upon himself, as men folk are so wont to do, the important task of touring the community passing out cigars, puffing out his chest and sampling the various drinks insisted upon him by his good neighbours while Mother Schtick was left with the much easier and more mundane task of caring for her three newborn children.

In the caring of her progeny however Mother Schtick discovered what all parents of identical children are horrified to discover. She could not tell her own children apart! No matter how she tried there were no distinguishing marks, save one, that could assist her in differentiating between her baby boys. At first she thought of subterfuge, such as marking the soles of their feet with a piece of charcoal, but the folly of such a solution soon became obvious to her. When Father Schtick returned from his important work he too found himself unable to tell his precious boys apart save for one important detail. He also had trouble telling the door from the wall, the chair from the floor and eventually the bed from the couch; but I digress from my tale.

It seems Mother Nature had imparted a somewhat cruel joke on the three brothers as she had chosen to give each one a different sized “manhood”. Father Schtick in his insightful, if somewhat inebriated state, decided immediately to name his three boys accordingly. Maxi soon became known as Max, Midi soon was known as Phil, and poor little (no pun intended) Mini was schtuck with his name for the remainder of his life.

By all accounts the boys lived a good country life. Early to bed, early to rise, hard work on the farm and church each Sunday morning, all was well in their lives. Of course, boys being boys, they rough housed and teased each other and, not to be unexpected, poor Mini took the brunt of the greater share of his brothers teasing. As the boys grew the hard work turned them into large, barrel chested, teenagers with big strapping arms and muscular legs. Mini, in his ever more desperate attempts to make up for his obvious short comings and to try and live down his cruel name, would challenge his brothers to contests of strength and endurance which he more than often won. But try as he might, and win as much as he did, he could never shake that cursed name his Father had so blindly attached to him.

Then one day he struck upon a challenge that he thought would settle once and for all the issue of his miniscule name and its accompanying body part. He challenged his brothers to swim Lake Justanotherdamnlakeontheprairies completely naked, from one side to the other without touching bottom or stopping to rest. His brothers were loath to accept such a challenge for Lake Justanotherdamnlakeontheprairies was well known for its rough waters, high waves, cold temperature and duck itch. When Mini sensed their hesitation he jumped on the opportunity and proceeded to call into question their manhood and went about the community describing his brothers lack of courage.

Finally, feeling trapped with no other options, his brothers Max and Phil accepted Mini’s challenge to swim Lake...errr...the Lake. It was late afternoon when the brothers set out on their challenge and the family Schtick, along with the rest of the community, were lined up along the shore to cheer on their favorite swimmer. The ladies all turned their heads or covered their eyes to avoid seeing the manly parts displayed by the young swimmers but the loudest cheers went up for young Maxi nevertheless. One suspects they may have taken a cursory glance from beneath their bonnets perhaps? These cheers only served to harden young Mini’s resolve to beat his brothers across Lake...uhhh....THE Lake.

The swimmers all plunged in at the same shout and swam furiously towards the opposite shoreline. To the quarter point it was a dead heat with all the boys more or less even across. However, Maxi and Phil soon discovered that the cold temperatures had not only shrunk their namesakes, but also their muscle reserves and their resolve. Fearing for their lives they both turned back admitting defeat to their brother, but Mini took no heed and swam onwards towards the opposite shore in the distance. He was determined to prove himself to his parents, family and community and to show them that his name was unjust.

Upon their return to shore the brothers inquired as to their beloved brother Mini but their parents told them he had not turned back. Without even bothering to get dressed the concerned brothers ran to get to the far side of the lake. There they searched carefully for any sign of Mini but alas, he was not to be seen again. Darkness fell and still the brothers Maxi and Phil searched for their brother; for it is said the bonds between identical children are much stronger than ordinary siblings, calling his name “MINI!!!” and searching both the lakeshore and the surrounding bush. Through the night a cold nor’wester blew in that carried on its cold winds rain that turned to sleet that developed into snow and a full blown snowstorm.

The family Schtick and the rest of the community turned out the next morning at daylight and commenced to search for the Brothers Schtick but no sign of them was ever found. It was as if they had all vanished to the bottom of Lake...THE Lake. The searchers found plenty of evidence that the brothers had searched the lakeshore and the surrounding bush because of the beaten trails that travelled throughout the area. But no sign was ever found of the triplet brothers again.

The community and even the family Schtick told tales of hearing voices on quiet evenings along the lakeshore and throughout the surrounding forests calling “MINI!!!.....MINI!!!” And the trails the brothers had pounded into the earth with their bare feet in their futile search for their beloved brother never ever grew over with grass or brush but remain to this very day.

None of the community ever camped overnight by the lake or surrounding forests because it is said you would be awoken in the night by two well endowed ghosts inquiring for their brother Mini and attempting to check your own... ummmmm...genitalia...to confirm or deny that you might be their long lost brother Mini.

Of course time and history has changed the name of Lake...errr...THE Lake to what we now know as Ministik and somehow the old superstition of not camping within Ministik still holds to this very day. At least not by anyone with any question as to the size of their Schtick.
DRSR.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:19 PM

I told you guys. Dangit!

I used to go to bush parties out that way when I was in my late teens and erly 20's.
There is no way in he ll I will ever go back. I am 100% sure I saw a warlock/witch one night.
Now my memory is a little clouded by my good Canadian Spirit and psycodelic dreams.But I know what I saw. I know it.
That night I saw a cowgirl.
She was floatin' across the ceiling.
And that night I saw a naked cowgirl.
She was mumblin to some howlin' wolf
About some voodoo healin'.

Freaky stuff

Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
I told you guys. Dangit!

I used to go to bush parties out that way when I was in my late teens and erly 20's.
There is no way in he ll I will ever go back. I am 100% sure I saw a warlock/witch one night.
Now my memory is a little clouded by my good Canadian Spirit and psycodelic dreams.But I know what I saw. I know it.
That night I saw a cowgirl.
And that night I saw a naked cowgirl.
She was mumblin to some howlin' wolf
About some voodoo healin'.

Freaky stuff
you sure you were'nt lookin for some Tush?
Old 02-06-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks Klondike, the first article answered my question right away. So, while I am camping out here I. Will definatley be witch hunting as well. I hear they are always in season.

Well if you enlarged the picture of the sign that is located at the staging area you'll discover that one of the points states that there is no camping or fires allowed

http://www.tri-county.ab.ca/Gallery/...stik-Rules.jpg
Old 02-06-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike View Post
Well if you enlarged the picture of the sign that is located at the staging area you'll discover that one of the points states that there is no camping or fires allowed

http://www.tri-county.ab.ca/Gallery/...stik-Rules.jpg
I would say that pretty much takes care of the camping question.