Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post
Has anyone tried the Nokian WR G2 All-'Weather' tires?

From what I understand, they are not true winter tires, but they are much better in winter than your typical all-'season' tires. And you can run them on your vehicle, all year-round.

TF
Yep, see my post above...we have them on our civic...I'm happy with them. As long as you are not high centered they will grab.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:18 AM

We went with the Xi2's for my wife's car. The reviews are solid with exceptional ratings for ice and medicore ratings for slush and snow. I'm much less concerned with slush and snow as more injury/accidents happen on ice. The tires have pretty dense tread design so I can see why ice handling is their thing. The nice thing about that is the tire noise is almost as low as our touring tires and they are rated at 60,000km unlimited tread wear (winter or summer driving). I bought them at Costco ($70 off a set of 4 right now), so if premature tread wear becomes an issue I have the piece of mind of their stellar return policy.

I tested them out on some ice a couple days ago and they seem excellent.

Just my 2cents...
Old 11-07-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
We went with the Xi2's for my wife's car. The reviews are solid with exceptional ratings for ice and medicore ratings for slush and snow. I'm much less concerned with slush and snow as more injury/accidents happen on ice. The tires have pretty dense tread design so I can see why ice handling is their thing. The nice thing about that is the tire noise is almost as low as our touring tires and they are rated at 60,000km unlimited tread wear (winter or summer driving). I bought them at Costco ($70 off a set of 4 right now), so if premature tread wear becomes an issue I have the piece of mind of their stellar return policy.

I tested them out on some ice a couple days ago and they seem excellent.

Just my 2cents...
what kind of price are these xi,2s?

thanks

orv.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Interesting. I need them for a sienna mini van. So the weight should not be an issue I would think? I guess when you rotate you just go front to back and then reverse.

Now I just need to find out who is cheapest in town. phoning around has always saved me money on tires.
I have always used Dan at Togo Tires. They used to be on Centre St just about under Glenmore Trail , but recently moved to 5220-1A St SW just east of the big boot on McLeod Trail.

Worth a phone call and a chat about your Sienna to ensure Dan thinks it is a good fit. He has never steered me wrong.(Knock on wood)
And yes the tires are rotated just by moving them fore and aft. I just mark them in the spring when I change back to all-seasons so I know where they go in the fall.

Last edited by omega50; 11-07-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORV View Post
what kind of price are these xi,2s?

thanks

orv.
For just the tires (205 16/60s) they were $615 including the gst (without rims). I took them elsewhere to get put on winter rims because I didn't feel like showing up at Costco at 6:30am like they recommended.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:04 PM

If you can afford it, get Nokian Hakkas... They ARE the best.

Blizzaks are also good, but I don't find them as surefooted as the nokians.

Are you looking for a car/truck/suv?

If a car, Kumho also makes a very good tire KW19 that is reasonable.

I'd stay away from ANY allseasons.. to the point that If I could only get one set of tires, I would buy winters.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:52 PM

Put Nokian Hakka R on wife's Jetta two years ago. Only snow tire used and no complaints. check out 1010tires.com for tire reviews by owners. BTW i have purchased 3 sets of tires from Kaltire and have had excellent service from them. They have many rural shops which helps when travelling about.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:01 PM

Had the Nokian WR G2 All-'Weather' tires and they wore competely in less than 30,000km. Recommended Nokian Hakkapeliitta to a friend who now purchased sets for 2 vehicles and he said they make a huge improvement.