Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2013, 09:51 AM

Default 2014 Chev / GMC 1500 - real reviews?

Looking to buy a new pickup and I really like the new GM's. Wondering if anyone has a real review / thoughts that they would like to share.

Please don't go down the ford route, thanks.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:28 AM

I think they look pretty slick. Havent driven one but I was hoping the diesels had the updated interiors. Looks like I will have to wait another 9 months. Would be nice to hear about how the gas jobs are working out so far.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:49 AM

I was at an open house in Stettler Motors and they had one on a hoist with a mechanic going over the improvements from the pointy end so to speak. There are a lot of mechanical improvements under there that speak well of them. Easy on the maintenace as well. Longer duration and some incentives on maintenace. Bumper step and easy down tailgate is another plus. To me the overall improvements were all positive.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:21 PM

I just bought one and the wife has been driving it so far. Its is unbelievable how quiet it is inside the cab (Wheel wells are lined with carpet). Overall its a nice truck to drive, but not sure we will get the gas mileage it claims.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:45 AM

Any preference to either gmc or chev?
Old 11-23-2013, 07:04 AM

Ya, the Chev doesn't have the gay LED lights on the front like the GMC
Old 11-23-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by full_throttle View Post
Any preference to either gmc or chev?
Personally I prefer GM, but I might have to take a computer coarse to drive this truck. I still don't know how to turn the interior lights on,lol. Lots of new features with the radio and navigation display and different screen options. Definetly will have to read the manual for some of it. Front sensor beeps when you get to close to a vehicle when parking, im sure there is a way to shut it off or change distance but not sure how to set it now.

Dislikes that they carried over from about 2009, it only has about a 2 ft wide defrost vent on the dash where the older trucks went most of the width of the wind shield. I will also check to see if the headlight change is simple or if that carried over where it takes about 45 min to change a bulb.

And no real good way to run the block heater cord out the front of the truck, unless you take the top rad shroud off and put it through the grill opening...

I will keep updating as the more I get to drive and look it over, but it really is a nice driving truck.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:47 AM

I have been driving gm/chev 1/2 and 3/4 ton vans for 15 years. My current one is a 2010 2500. It does ride nice compared to the ttb fords, but the ford i drove for 3 years had zero repairs aside from windshields.

At 63,000 km, the rear end blew up, at 65,000 the heater fan failed, at 33,000 the fan switch broke, at 75,000 the tire pressure indicators went, and now i have to rev the living snot out of it to shift it out of park into drive any time the truck is cold. Also i get a clunk when the steering is at lock, and the column sounds like its metal on metal sometimes.

The only thing fixed under warranty was the fan switch.

My ford carried the same amount of tools/ weight and i still had no breakdowns.

Im not a big chev fan, nor ford, but if i did have to buy my own work truck, it would not be a chev.

Hopefully they have resolved some of these issues for 2014, as the chevs do seem to ride the nicest.

When i buy a truck in the spring, it will be an 04-06 dodge 3500 swr cummins.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:16 AM

Does anybody know if they've solved the issues with AFM (cylinder deactivation)?

I am also truck shopping. My last two trucks, an 89 and a 99, have been Sierras and were both great trucks. I know people with the 2007-2013 trucks who've had issues with the AFM and would not buy another. All of the 2014's have AFM, so I'm a bit leery.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:16 PM

I purchased a 2013 Sierra Nevada extended cab 4x4 in September. Since the snow it says I am getting 13.5 I the city. What made up my mind was the longer power train warranty.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:33 AM

Cant beat the warranty or their ride.

Anyone order the 6.2L engine, im thinking of ordering that engine.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Cant beat the warranty or their ride.

Anyone order the 6.2L engine, im thinking of ordering that engine.
I ordered the 5.3L, plenty of power and torque for what I need. My 06 GM has the 6.0 and it is an absolute pig on gas. The numbers on paper/or what they suggest it will get for gas mileage....well I truly doubt you will get. Might get close but you will probably have to drive 90 k. There was a thread on gas mileage, and just a change in tires impacts it big time.

Also if your not driving on the sask flat lands doing 90 to 100 don't expect it to kick into the V4 mode. I think the 20 km I drove into town yesterday the V4 kicked in once going down a hill for about 30 seconds. I was doing 110 k. When I was doing 100 k it would kick into V4 on the flats but if you push the gas pedal down a millimeter it was already in V8 mode
Old 11-24-2013, 01:18 PM

Get a Ford
Old 11-24-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fn1949 View Post
Get a Ford
Thanks, but as I stated please don't go down the ford route and keep this on topic.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:56 PM

I'm lookin as well and its a toss up between the GM/Chev 2500 and the Dodge 2500. I have an 09 Silverado 1500 and love it have had no major problems ( knock on wood ) but I know if your looking and willing to travel CMP in Calgary (according to news adds) is 0% on all 2014's right now…. guess its time to sell the 09 and bite the bullet….and talk to the wife…lol )
Old 11-24-2013, 08:56 PM

I drive one as a work truck. Pretty new with only 4000 klicks. It's not much different than the previous models. Torqey off the bottom and a good ride. Mileage burning about 15L/100km but that's off the computer and usin the command start for 10 minutes in the morning. More room in the back seat and the MYLINK system works works better than my Ford SYNC. I haven't pulled anything with it so can't comment on that but so far it's a pretty decent unit.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:50 AM

Thumbs up

I really, really like mine. Was the first Silverado in Lethbride! I Like the bigger box and cab, and upgraded motor. I've had a 91 Sonoma, 96 Ext Cab GMC, 99 Dodge Ext Cab, 2005 and 2008 Crew Cab Silverado, and this new one is my favorite. More power and better mileage than my last 2 trucks. Plus the the tech stuff is very cool, as are the interior Led lights! Get one! You will not be disappointed.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:48 PM

I'll be picking one up for sure in Sep/Oct of next year. I'll be looking for a 0% interest deal when they try to clear out to make room for the 2015's.

Did anyone find a decent end of year deal that they know of though it wouldn't be for a 2014.

PS. My tow pig 2000 Yukon has 280K on it and the only thing replaced was the brakes at 220K Hopefully I get the same luck on 2014 Sierra.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:08 PM

0% on the 2014's right now till Dec 9.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:10 AM

Anyone recently pick one up?
Old 12-11-2013, 07:04 AM

I checked out and drove a 2014 Silverado 5.3 recently and passed.
I ended up with a 2013 wiht the 6.2.

My future plan is to get one of the new Silverados - but not until they start building them with the 8 speed (or 9-10 speed) and the 6.2.

If you are planning on getting one anyway go for the 6.2. A lot more power and doesn't use much more fuel than the 5.3 (maybe 1-2 mpg more on average).

The 6.2 downshifts a lot less (takes hills in 6th gear at 1800 rpm versus the 5.3 in 4th at 4300 rpm) so highway mileage is pretty much a wash.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:01 AM

The headlights suck !!!! maybe they are just not aligned right from factory, will find out as its going back in to get checked. Dims are not bad but the brights are horrible.

Also took the rad cowling off and drilled a hole in another shroud to run my block heater cord through my grill...otherwise no good way of getting access unless you want it flopping around out the hood.

Oh...I don't think the headlights are sealed...my truck and 2 more I seen fog/frost up a bit on the lower portion of the lens...not high enough to effect the lights...but enough to bug me,lol
Old 12-11-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
I checked out and drove a 2014 Silverado 5.3 recently and passed.
I ended up with a 2013 wiht the 6.2.

My future plan is to get one of the new Silverados - but not until they start building them with the 8 speed (or 9-10 speed) and the 6.2.

If you are planning on getting one anyway go for the 6.2. A lot more power and doesn't use much more fuel than the 5.3 (maybe 1-2 mpg more on average).

The 6.2 downshifts a lot less (takes hills in 6th gear at 1800 rpm versus the 5.3 in 4th at 4300 rpm) so highway mileage is pretty much a wash.
Yes, I am waiting for the 6.2's to hit the lot for a test drive, then I will decide. Good reviews so far from the guys that pre ordered their 6.2's.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:27 PM

Out of curiosity, other than the badging what's the difference between the Silverado's and the Sierras? Seems to me that most people buy the Chevy's when they "look" to be the same truck?

Also aren't all the engine offerings new this year? personally I'd wait a model year to see how well the engine does. Good luck they are a much better looking truck this year than last and I do like the rear bumper step. Beats Ford's stupid tail gate step! can't stand that crap....
Old 12-11-2013, 01:10 PM

The grill and headlights are different. GMC offers an all terrain package. Few different color choices and thats about all I have noticed.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Out of curiosity, other than the badging what's the difference between the Silverado's and the Sierras?
for the majority of time, they have been exactly the same. there was a few years in there where body styling was just a wee bit different....but mostly they are the same. its only that name difference that has allowed ford to claim the F-series trucks as the best selling. if GM only had one name, they win by a landslide a s the highest selling trucks.

anyway, we brought home a 2014 a few wekks ago. the exterior styling is so close to the last body style that i dont know why they bothered with the changes. the assisted lowering tailgate and step bumper is nice, but not game changing. its the interior styling that has really improved. the mylink system is very user friendly and has all the controls right where they should be. ours has the full center console which is well thought out for storage and accessability of power ports etc. 3 usb ports is overkill i think, but the built in inverter supplying 120v power is welcome. at 150 watts i think it could have been bigger, but its nice all the same.

overall the interior screams luxury vehicle, but it is still a pickup. so far so good i guess.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
for the majority of time, they have been exactly the same. there was a few years in there where body styling was just a wee bit different....but mostly they are the same. its only that name difference that has allowed ford to claim the F-series trucks as the best selling. if GM only had one name, they win by a landslide a s the highest selling trucks.

anyway, we brought home a 2014 a few wekks ago. the exterior styling is so close to the last body style that i dont know why they bothered with the changes. the assisted lowering tailgate and step bumper is nice, but not game changing. its the interior styling that has really improved. the mylink system is very user friendly and has all the controls right where they should be. ours has the full center console which is well thought out for storage and accessability of power ports etc. 3 usb ports is overkill i think, but the built in inverter supplying 120v power is welcome. at 150 watts i think it could have been bigger, but its nice all the same.

overall the interior screams luxury vehicle, but it is still a pickup. so far so good i guess.
You sound so....depressed. Makes me want to run out and buy one. Jk. Thanks for the review.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
You sound so....depressed. Makes me want to run out and buy one. Jk. Thanks for the review.
it was time for a new truck. the 2014 changes didnt sway me....it was just time. the japanese trucks have higher quality and durability....but too ugly. dodge cant seem to fix all their issues, and ford...well...i tried that once. i cant throw money in the garburator like that.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
it was time for a new truck. the 2014 changes didnt sway me....it was just time. the japanese trucks have higher quality and durability....but too ugly. dodge cant seem to fix all their issues, and ford...well...i tried that once. i cant throw money in the garburator like that.
I hear you. Buy a hemi and park at the gas pumps, by a ford and be like your neigbours, consider an import and the wife complains! I cant wait to get into a new GM. Thanks for the review.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:40 PM

All trucks nowadays = fancy wrapped junk..
styling= gone way, way downhill.