Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-26-2010, 06:21 AM

Default Kick'n like a Mule

I've got a Sako 75 Finn light chambered in 270 wsm. the gun rocks, nice action, takes a beating, can drive tacks at 100 yards. But heres my problem it kicks the **** out of my shoulder. I hand load First off it was 60.5 gr of IMR 4350 140 accubond and that tapped a guy pretty good but leveling everything in its path. Then I dropped it down to 58 grains same lead though, and it's deadly but still kicks. I shot 300 ultra mags that kick way less, a friends got a 375 ruger that kicks less. So is it just me or the gun ???
Old 09-26-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruttnbuckcojack View Post
I've got a Sako 75 Finn light chambered in 270 wsm. the gun rocks, nice action, takes a beating, can drive tacks at 100 yards. But heres my problem it kicks the **** out of my shoulder. I hand load First off it was 60.5 gr of IMR 4350 140 accubond and that tapped a guy pretty good but leveling everything in its path. Then I dropped it down to 58 grains same lead though, and it's deadly but still kicks. I shot 300 ultra mags that kick way less, a friends got a 375 ruger that kicks less. So is it just me or the gun ???
Nope, not just you.
You have a light rifle. If memory serves it should weigh less than 7 pounds before scope & ammo.

Many confuse recoil with caliber. Just like your line about shooting ultra mags. Before the discussion of recoil taming accessories start, I'll address recoil.

Recoil can me measured by force and velocity. A slow moving basket ball hitting you will cause less discomfort than a fast moving hockey puck. If measured, there's a good chance that the amount of force in ft/lbs is greater than that of a hockey puck. But the puck is moving at a higher velocity. Maybe that example sucks. How about this one. Your buddy punches you in the shoulder vs your wife or girlfriend. Chances are the smaller faster moving fist, within reason, will get your attention more.

There is a trade off for everything it seems. You'll find as a rule, most of your target type rifles are picked for enough weight and a caliber that won't kick the sh*t out of you when doing a lot of range shooting.
Light rifles in larger calibers aren't intended to be comfortable shooting.

There are things you can do of course to tame that down. Muzzle brakes, better recoil pads.

I just use an old pair leather gloves that got wet a couple of times. It's kinda hard, too hard to wear. I put them under my coat and it spreads the recoil out across my shoulder. Didn't cost a dime, does the trick for enough shots to practice.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:59 AM

Put a good recoil pad on it, buy a Past shooting pad for range work.

Recoil velocity will beat you up more than the actual Ftlbs of recoil, light rifles with fast moving cartridges seem to jack up the recoil velocity.

You could also try weighting your rifle some how, like by adding a bipod or something, I've seen solid bronze or brass rods added to fore ends, and butt stocks as well, heck I even epoxied a bunch of cast 250 gr. bullets into the fore end of one rifle.

This is a classic case of TINSTAAFL (there is no such thing as a free lunch)

Lower rifle weight = greater recoil.

Everything in moderation.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-26-2010, 09:19 AM

you should trade that gun that is way to light for a big ol piece of junk that doesn't kick or shoot straight. i will trade you straight up as a favour.
part of the fun of a light rifle. try a limbsaver first before a muzzle break. your hunting/shooting partners/ears will thank you. if the limbsaver and muzzle break are not enough for you try a thick vest or using a ladies pad on your shoulder. they are nice and soft on the skin.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:26 AM
waylow

Slap a sims limbsaver on that bad boy and forget it.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Banned

i noticed same phenom on my sako a7 in .270wsm and 140 ab's but factory ammo.....compared to 300 wm's etc. it just felt sharper, didn't move me any further, it just seemed the recoil was a much quicker snap and made it very unfriendly on the bench

i use a brake now, can shoot all day like that with a t-shirt, now its a gentle push with no snap, ft/lbs feels like a little less than a 25-06 and little more than a .243 but less snap than either of those unbraked also...good luck with your choice of recoil reduction methods
Old 09-26-2010, 04:11 PM

It's simply a case of physics,lighter weight guns produce more felt recoil.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:57 PM

bradfromedson $2600 you can have it
Old 09-26-2010, 05:04 PM

I use a bipod and like the wieght I do alot of sheep hunting and elk hunting oh sh#t I mostly hunt in the hills the light wieght is nice. I'm going to try a recoil pad see if it works, also anyone ever use one of thoughs barrel stabblizzers?? or what ever there called if so I'd like to know your opion
Old 09-27-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruttnbuckcojack View Post
I use a bipod and like the wieght I do alot of sheep hunting and elk hunting oh sh#t I mostly hunt in the hills the light wieght is nice. I'm going to try a recoil pad see if it works, also anyone ever use one of thoughs barrel stabblizzers?? or what ever there called if so I'd like to know your opion
Barrel de resonators are just another thing to get bumped, moved or lost.

Take the time to test loads and stick to a loading that shoots well in your rifle.

K.I.S.S

There are no absolutes
Old 09-27-2010, 09:09 AM

I have an A7 and a finnlight in 270wsm. Put a Limbsaver on them and it tames them right down. Simple.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:11 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylow View Post
Slap a sims limbsaver on that bad boy and forget it.
X2. Sakos do seem to produce some very heavy felt recoil in their A7 and Finnlight lines. A Limbsaver pad will make shooting far more enjoyable.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:28 PM

Well thanks everyone Bought a recoil pad it helps stop the smack a-bit Just going to have to sucker up.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:41 PM

Sure you can sucker up, or you can add the limbsaver recoil pad like every one else said, then you can also use a pad for shooting off the bench, a gel pad dosn't cost much, a maxi pad costs even less if you don't shoot a lot. Then you can load some lighter loads! You said that you hand loaded your ammo, that means that you can taylor your ammo to your taste or specs. You could drop a foot pound of recoil by dropping from a 140 grain bullet at 3100 fps to a 130 grain bullet at the same velocity. It's not a lot of recoil to get rid of but if you do all 3 of these things, you may get by alright!
Recoil is your worst enemy for shooting straight!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
Sure you can sucker up, or you can add the limbsaver recoil pad like every one else said, then you can also use a pad for shooting off the bench, a gel pad dosn't cost much, a maxi pad costs even less if you don't shoot a lot. Then you can load some lighter loads! You said that you hand loaded your ammo, that means that you can taylor your ammo to your taste or specs. You could drop a foot pound of recoil by dropping from a 140 grain bullet at 3100 fps to a 130 grain bullet at the same velocity. It's not a lot of recoil to get rid of but if you do all 3 of these things, you may get by alright!
Recoil is your worst enemy for shooting straight!
X2
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:43 PM

Anyone have an idea where to get those limbsaver recoil pads from for the Sako (prefit type) as I have an A7 and cannot locate one.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:49 PM

The same one for the T3 and the Finnlight fit the A7. It is Model 1011 - I think!
Old 09-30-2010, 02:55 PM

This is encouraging just bought a T3 in 7MM Rem Mag, haven't shot it yet but not expecting it to be as "friendly" as my old heavy Model 70.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:25 PM

Default Limbsaver!!

Get one... they're great!

Stuck one on my 7mmremmag.... its justlike plinking. And this gun slapped me around the first time out w/out a pad.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
The same one for the T3 and the Finnlight fit the A7. It is Model 1011 - I think!
You got everything right (10011) but no one answered to my question as to who has a couple in stock. Limbsaver on my Triumph sure is nice though.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:42 PM

I just bought my buddy a limbsaver off ebay.Shot some tests rounds with his finnlight 270 and the next day he said he couldnt fire the gun unless he had to thats how much his shoulder hurt.Payed 40 bucks for it.I got one on my 300wsm and i could shoot all day and not feel a thing.