Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-21-2018, 08:06 PM

Default Who has a Labradar?

How do you like it? I was considering a Magneto Speed but think a Labradar would be the better investment for my LR rifle and reloading data.

I’m pretty set one buying one soon, just my main question is, are there different makes and models? And where around Edmonton can you buy one? Rather do it in person then ordering one online.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:09 PM

Default I have one

I have a Labradar and love it. I had the magneto before it but I prefer the Lab. If you were in Calgary you could buy it at the Calgary SHooting center.

The reason i prefer it is it doesnt alter your point of impact. You can sight your rifle in and get velocity readings at the same time.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
I have a Labradar and love it. I had the magneto before it but I prefer the Lab. If you were in Calgary you could buy it at the Calgary SHooting center.

The reason i prefer it is it doesnt alter your point of impact. You can sight your rifle in and get velocity readings at the same time.
Yes, I didn’t like the shifting of the POI with the Magneto but easy to get by that detail but honestly for the costs, I think the lab would be the right choice.

Thanks, maybe I’ll have to make a road trip to Calgary.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:05 PM

Ive been using one for about 3 years now and they are a handy rig, highly recommend one, simple to use and records everything for you, they just come out with the Bluetooth app, you can get one from Omer at Precisionoptics-site sponsor
Old 07-22-2018, 07:22 AM

I’ve owned one since they became available. It goes with me every time I shoot.
If you set it up right it will track bullet accurately to 100+ yards depending on size of projectile.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:32 AM

I have a LabRadar and I love it. Easy to setup and use. I ordered mine from Red Star targets in Red Deer.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:45 AM

I tried one at the range, great setup. My next Chrono is definitely going to be a Lad Radar. They are expensive but actually worth the price for the convenience.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:24 AM

Default Who has a Labradar?

I have a LabRadar and really like it for all of the reasons given above. I have not used a Magnetospeed so can't comment although we know anything hanging off the end of a barrel will affect POI.

If you intend to measure velocity of any sub-sonic projectiles, you will need a trigger microphone sold for this purpose (~CDN$70).

I've also found that my unit is very sensitive to the type of memory card installed. I tried a new microSD card which seemed to conform to the LabRadar specs, but my unit just locked up. I'm now just using the internal memory and downloading to my computer through the USB port.

Internal AA batteries will run down fairly quickly, at least I haven't found them to last more than a few hours. Different features can be turned off to improve battery life (e.g., the display screen), but then the convenience goes down. I just take a deep cycle battery with me, plunk it down next to the bench and power my unit through a USB adapter.

Finally, I bought my unit through WASP Munitions in Sylvan Lake, AB. Unit arrived in Sherwood Park by Canada Post two days after I ordered it. Hope this helps.

Joe.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:57 AM

I use a 7AH sealed lead acid battery with a USB adapter hooked up. The kind you use for back up UPs’s. Pretty light weight and I get a full day out of it or more.

They work great.

One time I had the privilege of shooting alongside the Aussie Shooting team when they were practicing for the 1000 competition. They were using a USB power pack to power their Labradar.

Has anyone done the firmware upgrade?
Old 07-22-2018, 09:31 PM

I did the firmware update and run it from my iPad. Works fine, I actually don't find the new app that much help. I didnt seem to have a problem arming mine from the bench or prone like others talk about.

I do download the files to my computer, you can actually gain some good data from each shots file, many more data points available and you can actually calculate a decently close bc from that.

I also found that the muzzle velocity is off 1-2fps from where the measured velocities show. For instance two shots may show the same velocity measured 10/20/30 yards but the calculated MV off by 2fps.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:40 AM

One time I had the privilege of shooting alongside the Aussie Shooting team when they were practicing for the 1000 competition. They were using a USB power pack to power their Labradar.

Has anyone done the firmware upgrade?[/QUOTE]

This is the power pack I use. 4 hrs with the LAB on and it never left the full mark. About the size of a cell phone. And yes the firmware update is great, arm and disarm from the phone and all info is on the phone as well.

https://www.amazon.ca/Anker-PowerCor...anker+13000mah
Old 07-22-2018, 09:36 PM

Who has the best price at the moment? Seriously thinking of getting one.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:17 PM

Wow, great responses everyone, thank you. Seems like a few places to get one, and the app opinions help too cause I was thinking of booking it up to my I pad too.

Keep the info coming, even if others have questions, ask away. Just more info for me that I may not have thought to ask.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSlam View Post
Who has the best price at the moment? Seriously thinking of getting one.
When I bought mine it came in from Mystic Precision. Not sure now but I know it payed to shop around a bit.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
How do you like it? I was considering a Magneto Speed but think a Labradar would be the better investment for my LR rifle and reloading data.

I’m pretty set one buying one soon, just my main question is, are there different makes and models? And where around Edmonton can you buy one? Rather do it in person then ordering one online.
I've had 2 MagnetoSpeed units. Very good for what they are and very accurate. Lots of people b1tch about how it changes the poi when it's on the barrel. Yeah....I suppose. Although, I never shot groups with it on. It had one purpose....to measure the speed of the load I just developed.

But one day I was in a hurry and didn't have the proper spacers on, and I ended up shooting the damn blade. I bought a second unit. And....just sold both units. But I love them.

But I replaced it with a LabRadar. There's only one model. I like it so far. I've used it to measure speeds on all of my loads. It's not light sensitive. Sets up pretty easy (I have the base plate and two different tripod set-ups). It is also very accurate with all of my loads. The menu is a bit quirky and takes some time to get used to. Although it is pretty intuitive. I have not exported the data yet, so I can't comment on that. But it is interesting watching how temperature, humidity, and absolute pressure change the speeds of projectiles.

My advice is....buy an external high capacity L-ion battery pack. These things eat AA batteries very quickly. The battery pack I use has only been discharged to half after 6 hours of continuous use. (It also has a power saving shut-off function.) Make sure you enter the projectile weight for every different bullet. I found this out the hard way (I forgot to change it). And an entire string of 20 shots was wasted.

You can probably make your own base plate for cheaper than $60. And using a tripod will get you the height you need if you're shooting from a bench. The special carrying case is pretty (and expensive), but I use a padded laptop bag. It fits the unit and battery pack perfectly.

So, all in all, I would recommend one. Although, I really like the MagnetoSpeed units (and I like the price of them better than the LabRadar). And my unit is new, so the firmware is up to date.

I don't believe anyone in Edmonton sells these. I got mine from Omer at Precision Optics in B.C..

Last edited by 6MT; 08-10-2018 at 04:37 PM.