Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2011, 09:49 AM

Question best snow tires to put on my bicycle

found me a job in town ,,i am down sizing
Old 09-09-2011, 09:52 AM

Studded ones. A friend of mine uses them and loves them.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:25 AM

YEP, studded. MEC sells them the cheapest and they have a lot of good winter gear for riding. One stop shop IMO.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
YEP, studded. MEC sells them the cheapest and they have a lot of good winter gear for riding. One stop shop IMO.
If you don't mind giving your money to someone that supports groups with an anti hunting agenda. I no longer spend any money at MEC for that reason.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:59 AM

I rode on regular MTN bike tires for 3 winters. crashed twice in the first week but then got it figured out and no more incidents. Just keep your mass over the wheels, dont lean into turns!!! hahaha

Now that I am peddling a hybrid with much thinner tyres I reckon I'll have to get studs, at least on the front. I believe you can get kits to stud your own tires but that might not really be cheaper. Any of the bike stores should help you. Klondike Sports has a sale on their bike gear right now.

Good for you for riding in the city. Unless I have to carry stuff or the snow/ice is bad I prefer to ride, its good for you; cheaper and often not much slower than driving (and you dont need to spend your time staring at the back of another car!).
Old 09-09-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you don't mind giving your money to someone that supports groups with an anti hunting agenda. I no longer spend any money at MEC for that reason.
oh god not this again....

this thread is about cycling, not hunting. If it makes you feel better, I enjoy sending MEC pictures of me with all my MEC gear on holding my fresh bear/deer kills!
Old 09-09-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH View Post
oh god not this again....

this thread is about cycling, not hunting. If it makes you feel better, I enjoy sending MEC pictures of me with all my MEC gear on holding my fresh bear/deer kills!
I'll say this about MEC. Any company that is being boycotted by the Canada Palestine Association because they sell Israeli-made products, and told them to stuff it, can't be all bad.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:35 PM

Schwalbe Ice Spikers (tungsten studs). And make sure you break em in as per instructions (40k on hardtop) then they'll last you for years.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'll say this about MEC. Any company that is being boycotted by the Canada Palestine Association because they sell Israeli-made products, and told them to stuff it, can't be all bad.
Right on, i couldnt have said it better
Old 09-09-2011, 03:02 PM

Bicycles, like motor bikes, belong in the garage, after the first snow fall. Unless, of course, you're suicidal.

Grizz
Old 09-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Banned

I would say the chains...
Old 09-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Banned

United Cycle has nice big studs.

So does REI. REI gives dividends, MEC does not. MEC gives shareholder profits to eco-freaks who are more than just against hunting.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:13 PM

If you want to bike in the winter, I'd recommend that you avoid main drags except when absolutely necessary, and concentrate on parallel side streets. Nothing bugs me more than some guy holding up dozens upon dozens of drivers. It's not only more considerate to your fellow man, its safer, less stressful and frankly a more pleasant and scenic ride.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Congrats!! Do you want a blue ribbon comrad or just tell the OP where he can and can't spend his money?
Old 09-09-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Congrats!! Do you want a blue ribbon comrad or just tell the OP where he can and can't spend his money?
I am not telling him where he can or can't spend his money, but rather letting people know that MEC supports groups with anti hunting agendas. If you don't mind having your money go towards anti hunting groups, then continue shopping at MEC. If you would rather not have your money go to anti hunting groups, then you can choose to shop elsewhere.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:31 PM

I've been running Innova brand studded tires for 5 or 6 winters, cheaper than the mec product at the time and more studs too. They are heavy and noisy and slow you down some but they hook-up very well. My winter bike has a rigid fork and tail. I tried my FSR one winter and hit the deck twice, second time rung my bell. If you have a rear suspension, lock it out or feel the pain.