Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-20-2009, 06:59 PM

Default Keeping size perch

What is the length minumum that is ethacal to keep a perch at tried a new spot today and caught 20 some fish. Out of thoughs 6 were between 7 and 8 inches long is that to small to keep?
Old 12-20-2009, 07:02 PM

How small do you want to clean them?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-20-2009, 07:18 PM

are they illegally stocked?
Old 12-20-2009, 07:25 PM

I think it depends on the lake: if the lake was completely overpopulated with stunted perch I think I'd keep pretty much whatever I caught.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:31 PM

So long as you do not start stacking them in your freezer, clean what you want to eat.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:40 PM

Also depends on how deep you were catching them. If you're fishing more than 20', chances of survival is decreased. Ever noticed how sometimes you see their Swim Bladders coming out of their throats...
Old 12-20-2009, 08:14 PM

They were caught in six feet of water in a lake that has been illegally stocked with perch.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:21 PM

was that you at Enchant this afternoon?

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-20-2009, 08:26 PM

Nope
Old 12-20-2009, 08:39 PM

What the hell I cant post my pictures
Old 12-21-2009, 01:44 AM

Since there is no size limit, and perch are typically very small fish, the question is how bad to you want to clean a fish that small? Will you get anything to eat, or waste your time? Call me lazy but 6 inch fish are alot of work to make into a meal.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:26 AM

Default Cleaning small perch

Try this out.
On youtube , find a video titled "How to clean a Perch in 10 seconds"
It works very well and is simple.
Only tip I would add is use a grippy , rubberized glove to hold the fish. Your hands don't get so tired if you are doing a lot.

A cooking note-/ A farm lady,(my mom) suggested broiling these cleaned perch, then stripping out the bones and battering or plain frying it. Makes a pretty much boneless meal. Works good on fussy kids as your basically making homemade fishsticks!
Hope some of this helps
Ken
Old 12-21-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyMonster View Post
Try this out.
On youtube , find a video titled "How to clean a Perch in 10 seconds"
It works very well and is simple.
Only tip I would add is use a grippy , rubberized glove to hold the fish. Your hands don't get so tired if you are doing a lot.

A cooking note-/ A farm lady,(my mom) suggested broiling these cleaned perch, then stripping out the bones and battering or plain frying it. Makes a pretty much boneless meal. Works good on fussy kids as your basically making homemade fishsticks!
Hope some of this helps
Ken
no alot of experience with perch, but aren't they boneless except for the rib bones? that is a real neat vid, wonder can it be done with other fish too?
Old 12-21-2009, 08:06 AM

Nothing wrong with a mess of perch 6 inches or bigger. Fillet, cut the rib cage out if small and walla...boneless filet oh perch!

Yum.

From a meat perspective...larger fish have more meat. In most populations...even natural unstunted ones...there are more smaller fish than larger ones. You can usually never go wrong harvesting the smaller ones so long as the population has healthy recruitment!

As for cooking. Take boneless filets, cut into chunks. Dip in egg white. Roll in fish crisp (or similar). Fry in pot or pan with olive oil. Add lemon juice to taste. Eat...

Cheers

Sun
Old 12-21-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.goldeye View Post
They were caught in six feet of water in a lake that has been illegally stocked with perch.
Don't forget the new reg then:

"To reduce the incentive of illegal stocking the retention of pike and perch in waters stocked with trout or grayling is illegal unless specified in water body specific regulations."
Old 12-21-2009, 11:05 AM

I took a bunch of 6 inchers from Sundance last time I was out there and did the 10 second method on them. I was left with a bunch of bodies with heads, tails, fins and entrails removed. It wasn't a lot of work and once I had them all cleaned, I rolled them in seasoned flour and panfried them.

Once they were cooked, I easily pulled the meat away from the bones and the kids ate 'em up quick! I actually used the meat to make fish tacos and the kids loved it....so I guess the moral of the story is that you will keep whatever size you are willing to put the effort into cleaning. Of course I would've loved to get bigger ones, but the 6 inchers tasted just as good as anything else would.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:17 AM

How do you post pictures
Old 12-21-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
How do you post pictures
open an account at photobucket.com and link to the pics, its probably the easiest way. and its free

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-21-2009, 07:08 PM

s952.photobucket.com/albums/ae7/Mrgoldeye/
Old 12-21-2009, 07:09 PM

http://s952.photobucket.com/albums/ae7/Mrgoldeye/
Old 12-21-2009, 07:11 PM

nice. I think an 8 inch perch is big enough to keep, and big enough to clean easily. the smaller ones taste just as good, just less meat for the same effort.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-21-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Looking at your fish, I don't think they are too small to clean. Of course it is always nice to get big ones, but if you are only catching smaller ones they still taste good. If it was me, I would have kept a few to eat.
Happy fishing!
P.S. when cleaning smaller fish sometimes it is nice to use a smaller fillet knife for the job. A 4 or 6 inch knife would be my choice for pan fry sized fish.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:35 PM

The biggest was that 8 incher the smallest was 7 inches. I fryed the fillets with the skin on and theytasted fantastic! I'm going back to the lake tomarrow. That place is a gem close to home with plenty of perch and a few in the 7 to 10 inch range.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:33 PM

Default ....

Personally wouldn't bother with such tiny fish....they're no more than shrimp once cleaned and cooked....my personal rule of thumb is if it's gonna take longer to clean than it does to eat it's not worth it....let these minnows grow for a few more years....
Old 12-21-2009, 08:34 PM

Default ....

That said.... 10" min....
Old 12-21-2009, 09:13 PM

If the perch are illegally stocked, then you shouldn't feel bad keeping your limit, it will help a little in keeping them from stunting if there's no walleye or pike in there eating them.

I really like the 10 sec method but I have learned to be even more lazy by just filleting the small ones (6-8") but leaving the skin and scales on. Batter them up and deep fry. Skin and scales turn out very crispy and because the scales are so small on the little ones, it's really no different from trout scales, and you don't notice them at all when eating.

Good fillet knife and you can have a pile of two bite fillets in minutes.

Tags
perch cleaning