Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-08-2019, 08:27 PM

Default Pioneer Quest: A year in the real west

I watched this series back when it first came out and thought I bet a few would enjoy watching it. I think so many people think they will go to the land and homestead. Maybe not after watching how hard it really was.

This is a great example of what it was like for our ancestors that homesteaded back then.

2 modern couples go to homestead in Manitoba 1870's style.

Enjoy. Free to watch on this website.

https://tubitv.com/tv-shows/285107/p...de_1_the_dream
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-09-2019, 06:17 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I watched this series back when it first came out and thought I bet a few would enjoy watching it. I think so many people think they will go to the land and homestead. Maybe not after watching how hard it really was.

This is a great example of what it was like for our ancestors that homesteaded back then.

I liked that show. It as interesting how quickly they learned to actually do things like the real homesteaders did.
I thought it was a lost art but it seems to be more natural adaptation then art.

One of the most enjoyable shows I remember in the reality genre.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-09-2019, 11:42 AM

I followed that show as well when it first aired. I liked it. As you say, gave a real glimpse into a pioneers life and the daily prep it took to survive if you stayed healthy. Get sick and see how it changes fast.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:36 PM

Thanks for sharing, I remember the original when I was growing up in Manitoba and wished it became a repeating show so I could be on it one day.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:52 PM

I watched the series when it first came out, life could change just by your hog dying or the loss of a few chickens by foxes.
The show made me think of my family that came to Saskatchewan in 1911 arriving late in September due to ship problems barely had time to build a sod house for the winter they only made it through the winter with help from family that had come the year before.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:16 PM

Glad I found the series online to be able to share. Watching it again really made me appreciate my ancestors who homesteaded in Alberta during the 1890's.

This series is good but missed the part where homesteaders had to prove up their land by showing so much improvements over time. Had to be so many acres cleared over so much of a time period. When my great grandfather got his ten dollar homestead quarter section it was fully forested. He came to Canada to homestead around the age of 50. He cleared 3 acres of trees in the first year and built his buildings with the logs. Within the 5 year "proving" time he had cleared 35 acres, picked the roots & rocks, and had it seeded. He was then given title & mineral rights to the land 6 years after filing the homestead.

Back then bears were a real problem for farmyards and livestock too. This series had no real wildlife to deal with. In the 1870's there were still a few buffalo predators left too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-09-2019, 01:28 PM

The show was filmed a few miles from my where my great grandparents originally homesteaded. my grandparents stories from them growing up in 1920's Manitoba was amazing to listen to growing up.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Glad I found the series online to be able to share. Watching it again really made me appreciate my ancestors who homesteaded in Alberta during the 1890's.

This series is good but missed the part where homesteaders had to prove up their land by showing so much improvements over time. Had to be so many acres cleared over so much of a time period. When my great grandfather got his ten dollar homestead quarter section it was fully forested. He came to Canada to homestead around the age of 50. He cleared 3 acres of trees in the first year and built his buildings with the logs. Within the 5 year "proving" time he had cleared 35 acres, picked the roots & rocks, and had it seeded. He was then given title & mineral rights to the land 6 years after filing the homestead.

Back then bears were a real problem for farmyards and livestock too. This series had no real wildlife to deal with. In the 1870's there were still a few buffalo predators left too.
I thought I recall them touching on the subject of having to have their fields plowed and seeded by a certain point of the show or land broke but it has been a few years since I seen it. Thanks for the link, all I have ever found was snip-its of the show on Youtube. I will be re watching it.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:

I tried to watch but it wouldn't let me .Do I have to download an app?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:05 PM

To encourage settlement in the west the Dominion Government offered a free homestead of 160 acres for a $10 registration fee. In order to receive the patent for the land the settler had to be a male 21 years of age or a woman who was the sole support of her family. Before being granted a patent the applicant had to be a British subject or a naturalized British subject, had to reside on the homestead for a period of time, usually six months of the year for three years, make improvements to the land by cultivating at least 30 acres of land, and erect a house worth at least $300.

http://www.saskhomesteads.com/homestead-files.asp

This is after you and your family survived the journey across the ocean
Old 02-09-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
I tried to watch but it wouldn't let me .Do I have to download an app?
Hope this helps.

The website https://tubitv.com/home says:

GET THE APPS
iOS
Android
Roku
Amazon Fire

I think the website does say it is not free in some countries. I am unsure why.
I just found the link, clicked on it and it worked on my desktop. Each episode starts automatically after the last.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Hope this helps.

The website https://tubitv.com/home says:

GET THE APPS
iOS
Android
Roku
Amazon Fire

I think the website does say it is not free in some countries. I am unsure why.
I just found the link, clicked on it and it worked on my desktop. Each episode starts automatically after the last.
Ok I'm still not getting it I'll try on my laptop thanks Red.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
To encourage settlement in the west the Dominion Government offered a free homestead of 160 acres for a $10 registration fee. In order to receive the patent for the land the settler had to be a male 21 years of age or a woman who was the sole support of her family. Before being granted a patent the applicant had to be a British subject or a naturalized British subject, had to reside on the homestead for a period of time, usually six months of the year for three years, make improvements to the land by cultivating at least 30 acres of land, and erect a house worth at least $300.

http://www.saskhomesteads.com/homestead-files.asp

This is after you and your family survived the journey across the ocean
Family... Back during settlement the slavic people that homesteaded had the notion for large families too. My great grandfather had only 3 kids that came with them but those pioneer kids each had 10 or more kids in their families. More kids meant more farm hands.

And to think many of the folks that came across the pond came alone too. One of my grandmothers came here alone at age 18, worked and got married a year later. Then started homesteading at age 20 while having 3 kids in the next 4 years.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:

I got it Red on the laptop watched the first episode looks interesting for sure that plowing is definetly not for inexperienced people,as anyone can see ,not to mention the strength required to plow with 2 big horses like these.The pioneers were definetly a different breed,and used to hardship,not many of todays kids would have the stamina to do this.Of course if they had to live like that for a few years they would get hardened to it for sure in my opinion, another great thread thanks for sharing.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:30 PM
Banned

Red Bullets that is a really good series. If you like this kind of reality show, Victorian Slum House on PBS is another one you might like... there are some episodes on Youtube.

https://www.thirteen.org/blog-post/a...lum-house-pbs/
Old 02-09-2019, 06:49 PM
Gone Hunting

I grew up on a homestead. Believe it or not, homesteading is still done.

Of course my experience was from many years ago.
Some of my experience mirrored what the early settlers lived with, some did not.

We did live in a log home, built old school around about 1940. We had no all weather road until 1964. No power until 1980, telephone lines arrived in 1967 a centennial project.

We did not farm with horses, but our neighbor, and my uncle did. We had a modern Super WD6 we were uptown. LOL

We did live off the land to a large degree, wild game, wild birds, wild berries, wild mushrooms and some uncultivated plants were very much a part of our diet.

Grocery shopping was simple. 1- 100 pound sack of flour. 1- 50 pound sack of sugar, 1- pound of pepper, 5- pounds of salt. And a box full of garden seeds.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-09-2019, 08:23 PM

I think the last time Alberta opened up some land for homesteading was in 1970. In the Peace Country.

Last edited by Red Bullets; 02-09-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:46 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I think the last time Alberta opened up some land for homesteading was in 1970. In the Peace Country.

I know of land opened to homesteading during the late 1980s. It is just a few miles north of where I live. My brother took land on that deal, and proved up so now he owns it.

George Bernard Shaw