Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-27-2016, 11:28 PM

Smile Huntingitis

Anyone out there starting to get that itch you can't scratch until end of August? Usually symptoms can be kept until control by watching hunting videos on you tube, shooting the bow, or checking your trail cameras.

Huntingitis affects us all in many different ways, please share if you feel you caught the bug - I know I have.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:47 PM

i know the feeling. while fencing the other day i was caught daydreaming looking at a nearby hillside trying to decide where i would setup a coyote stand come winter. today i took a detour home from work just to check and make sure that our favorite duck spot is still full of water and ducks.
I find that planing for future hunts and honing shooting skills help a lot in keeping huntingitis at bay. often to cure the wingshooting itch i hunt crows and pigeons for the local landowners.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 06-27-2016, 11:49 PM

I just found out I'm going to have a season for the first time in three years and I can't stop pouring over maps and plans and gear and drooling over my new rifle and daydreaming. I've lost sleep to huntingitis before. It'll happen again too I'm sure.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:49 PM

I try to cure it by draining my bank account on new hunting items and by scouting and planning......nothing truly seems to cure it though except opening day.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
I try to cure it by draining my bank account on new hunting items and by scouting and planning......nothing truly seems to cure it though except opening day.
True that!
Old 06-28-2016, 07:57 AM

I've already spent 4 nights in sheep country , and doing 3 more this weekend
Been going over gear , setting caches, built a new base camp, gathered wood

I'll be ready for opener
Old 06-28-2016, 08:28 AM

Oh, I remember those days..... It's but one step in the whole evolution of the hunter.

Rest assured all the passion, sweaty palms, and palpitations will begin to wane, as you become more content and comfortable with your skills, and abilities.
It's normal, trust me.

It's also refreshing to see, it sometimes even re kindles that same spirit in us who have those days in our memory banks.

Also working 40 hours regular and bagging 12-20 hours OT per week, will chill the night sweats right quick.........god I miss my 14 in 14 out shift.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-28-2016, 08:34 AM

I used to get that itch really bad about this time of year, but over the years I find myself getting less and less excited. However, this year, because of a new pup, I am really looking forward to the pheasant and upland bird season.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:49 AM

For me, as the great Fred Bear once stated " it never stops, one season rolls right into the next"
Hunting crosses my mind several times every day.
Cat
Old 06-28-2016, 08:58 AM

Checked my cams yesterday and if anything it made my situation worse seeing herds of elk and lots of bears!
Old 06-28-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venginator View Post
Anyone out there starting to get that itch you can't scratch until end of August? Usually symptoms can be kept until control by watching hunting videos on you tube, shooting the bow, or checking your trail cameras.

Huntingitis affects us all in many different ways, please share if you feel you caught the bug - I know I have.
Definitely caught the bug after leaving the Edmonton Valley Zoo yesterday with the girlfriend.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:24 AM

I usually don't get all hot n bothered about it, but just having surgery in Jan 22
I need to get strong again, and sitting in a gym doesn't apeal to me, so I climb
Old 06-28-2016, 10:32 AM

Just sealed the deal on the weekend for guiding in northern Yukon, 2 -10 days back to back for moose. Haven't been this excited for awhile....no more of these piddly 55"ers!
Old 06-28-2016, 10:37 AM

The biggest thing that gets the Huntingitis going is watching deer grow inches every week on my cams, and always thinking of new areas to explore.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:13 PM

I've had the itch since last season ended. Bought lots of new gear and equipment. Been scouting for a while now. Watching the clock and counting the days lol.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:43 PM

Threw my cam out may long, driven the few hours 4 times since to check it. Trying to fill my mind with the feedback from the fishin rod. Only 3 more months... Only 3 more months... Only 3 more months haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2016, 07:09 PM

I got stage 4 huntigitis. It's getting very painful. I hope the draw gods are nice to me
Old 06-28-2016, 08:26 PM

First I start fishing to pacify myself though the summer, then I medicate by shooting the 7mm Wheatherby,( I think I need to seat the bullets another couple of thousands deeper to really tighten up the 300 yd shots). So now I ocationally take a walk on the wild side to check the cameras, and lastly I get on the form to find out I am not alone. So I have to admit, I am a hunter, "I have a problem". Thanks for your understanding.
Excuse me, I have to go look at my hunting diary now.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:37 AM

yup... got it as well...

After the mind takes care of all the immediate needs like family, health, work and cash flow, it keeps circling back to hunting season, nonstop...

the possibilities are endless, this upcoming season thanks to my hunting mentor... now I keep counting the days to July 12th to find out our luck...

We'll start with a moose hunt (camp until we get one) last week of september, hoping to get my first one, and if the stars line up a three point elk will show up to that party.

There will be white tail hunting in our usual gong show spot...
There will be mulies going down in the southeast corner of the province... this is the safest bet by far...

The long shot is the late elk cow draw down south. A new friend is willing to help us get one. It is starting to look a lot like elk on Boxing day, or New Year's...

The long long long shot is getting that bison draw in Zama... a 1000 km trek sounds like the greatest adventure ever. I keep reading old posts of bison hunts in that area and dream of replicating their success...

The garage is being detailed to be turned into a butcher shop. The freezers have been emptied of all previous' years game meat... If we get half of the critters in my list, we'll feed a lot of families for a year or two...

In my mind I am already out there scanning the horizons for delicious prey...
Old 07-02-2016, 06:20 PM

Finally picked up a trail cam and set it up today with my daughter. My first one so interested to see what I get in a month or so. Wouldn't you know it, walked back to the truck and fresh moose tracks literally next to the vehicle that were not there when we left to set the cam. High hopes
Old 07-02-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreyer View Post
Definitely caught the bug after leaving the Edmonton Valley Zoo yesterday with the girlfriend.
So what are they gonna put in that exhibit now that you left with her?

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 07-02-2016, 07:23 PM
Banned

I am getting excited. Will be making some ground blinds in the next few weeks at the sites and want to get a few more cams. Some I won't even place till mid October when the cows are long gone.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:35 PM

Is it just me or do most guys instantly look for the clear shot on the kill area subconsciously on an animal whenever they see one at any time of year!
Cat
Old 07-02-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Is it just me or do most guys instantly look for the clear shot on the kill area subconsciously on an animal whenever they see one at any time of year!
Cat
I do all the time. Then ask, Where would you shoot that one hon?
Old 07-02-2016, 09:19 PM

Yeah i got it bad this year. But between weeding the garden, cutting the grass every 3 days, and my truck breaking down on a fairly regular basis i've been able to keep my mind occupied ha ha.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:45 PM

Just got back from camping. Spent some time scouting again. Saw a few deer, one with very promising head gear. Saw a bear. Looked like a young boar. Lots of moose scat and a fresh set of of elk prints. Was a good 4 days off!
Old 07-02-2016, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Oh, I remember those days..... It's but one step in the whole evolution of the hunter.

Rest assured all the passion, sweaty palms, and palpitations will begin to wane, as you become more content and comfortable with your skills, and abilities.
It's normal, trust me.

It's also refreshing to see, it sometimes even re kindles that same spirit in us who have those days in our memory banks.

Also working 40 hours regular and bagging 12-20 hours OT per week, will chill the night sweats right quick.........god I miss my 14 in 14 out shift.
Good.