Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-27-2016, 09:37 PM
Banned

Default Reg. Question WMU 936

It just occured to me as I was driving to hinton to check out the Athabasca River near that little gem of a town, Brule. Long drive, time to think.
My question.... Can you hunt with a .22 rifle in WMU 936? Only thing you could shoot with it legally would be a Grouse, and you can't shoot grouse in Strath County with a 22, and 936 is in Strath County.
I have seen a few people carrying 22's while out on the trails of 936, but only just now thought if they were legal or not. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
It just occured to me as I was driving to hinton to check out the Athabasca River near that little gem of a town, Brule. Long drive, time to think.
My question.... Can you hunt with a .22 rifle in WMU 936? Only thing you could shoot with it legally would be a Grouse, and you can't shoot grouse in Strath County with a 22, and 936 is in Strath County.
I have seen a few people carrying 22's while out on the trails of 936, but only just now thought if they were legal or not. Thanks.
well, the warden let me put it on my discharge permit, so presumably : yes
Old 06-27-2016, 09:56 PM

It's not part of Strathcona County.

LC
Old 06-27-2016, 09:59 PM

Can you not shoot rabbits with a .22?
Old 06-27-2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Can you not shoot rabbits with a .22?
not in 936
Old 06-27-2016, 10:48 PM

(1) Hunters (including bowhunters) require a Firearms Discharge Permit to hunt in WMU 936. Self-registration discharge permits are no longer available. Hunters must contact the Cooking Lake/Blackfoot Grazing, Wildlife and Recreation Area office ar 780-922-3293 for information on requirements to obtain the discharge permit. In WMU 936, vehicle access is permitted to the Staging Areas only. Horses are permitted only on designated trails and in open pastures. General area access is by muscular power only (bicycle or walking).

i havent found anything prohibiting a rifle in 936 for any game, other than needing a discharge permit. No hunting on Sundays as well
Old 06-28-2016, 11:37 AM

That being said the grouse are pretty spooky in there and you usually wouldn't have time for a 22lr shot.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
(1) Hunters (including bowhunters) require a Firearms Discharge Permit to hunt in WMU 936. Self-registration discharge permits are no longer available. Hunters must contact the Cooking Lake/Blackfoot Grazing, Wildlife and Recreation Area office ar 780-922-3293 for information on requirements to obtain the discharge permit. In WMU 936, vehicle access is permitted to the Staging Areas only. Horses are permitted only on designated trails and in open pastures. General area access is by muscular power only (bicycle or walking).

i havent found anything prohibiting a rifle in 936 for any game, other than needing a discharge permit. No hunting on Sundays as well
I know you can shoot them with a shotgun (or even a big game rifle), but not so sure about a .22.

Lefty, on the Strathcona website about hunting info, they state that there are 3 WMU's in Strath. County, 936 being one of them. That is why it occured to me that .22 might be a problem. Going to call the 936 office and ask.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:00 PM

Pretty sure it is in Beaver County, notice where the county lines are drawn.

LC
Old 06-28-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
That being said the grouse are pretty spooky in there and you usually wouldn't have time for a 22lr shot.
I actually found the exact opposite, got 2 with the bow last year.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I know you can shoot them with a shotgun (or even a big game rifle), but not so sure about a .22.

Lefty, on the Strathcona website about hunting info, they state that there are 3 WMU's in Strath. County, 936 being one of them. That is why it occured to me that .22 might be a problem. Going to call the 936 office and ask.
So if you can shoot them with a big game rifle, why not a .22?
Old 06-28-2016, 03:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
So if you can shoot them with a big game rifle, why not a .22?
Yeh, go figure. Reason is, that it is illegal to shoot a Grouse with a .22 in Strath. county. You can shoot a Coyote with a big game rifle, or with a .22 but not a Grouse. Just one of those things.

Lefty, I just spoke to Strathcona county and they tell me that technically it is a provincial park so it is not part of Strath. county. Apparantly, Strath county provides road clearing and other services that a county would normally do, and thats why they include 936 as a WMU in their county.
I guess a .22 would be legal for Grouse in 936..
Old 06-28-2016, 03:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I actually found the exact opposite, got 2 with the bow last year.
Have to agree. I didn't find them any smarter or dumber then any other Grouse. I do love those well groomed trails to go looking for them.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I did as long as I had my 30-06 and a moose tag in hand last year. Probably wouldn't of happened if I had a .22 in hand.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I remember them being super unspooky but this was years ago so maybe things have changed

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk