Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-27-2016, 09:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Sounds like an example of the "EU rules for everything" the Brits hated so much. Well if they have a rule it must be right. So my .30-06 shooting a 180g bullet really only has an effective range for elk of about 200 yards and change... in Poland. Interesting.

I'm sure caliber counts somewhat, don't get me wrong. But I recall when I first started, selecting the "right" caliber/round seemed so important. I poured over info online to decide what advantages a .280 might hold over a .270, a 30-06 over a .308. Crazy. After getting a little experience under my belt, and reading the experiences of lots of people here with way more experience than me, I think like that a lot less now.

You are not getting what I am saying.

Instead having weekly, daily threads about is .243 or .308 or whatever caliber good for this type of game ,some countries have regulations based on energy needed for ETHICAL kill.
You can get data for any caliber, cartridge ,bullet combination and you can see if it is legal for game you are after.
It does not matter that mister Johns shot 150 WT Bucks with sling shot.
So if .223 delivers this much energy at given distance it is approved for this game.
There was extensive study in Canada involving emergency dispatching of large number of animals affected by infectious disease the threatens all of them ... minimum ethical caliber for this was 5.56 or .223 round at point blank.
I am not aware about reasons or study that EU would base their recommendation for ethical hunting on moose. I left Poland about 10 years before EU was born.

BTW Poland is celebrating 1050 years since became country... with very old hunting traditions.
Blaming EU for those rools is just funny.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY

Last edited by Andrzej; 06-27-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
BTW Poland is celebrating 1050 years since became country... with very old hunting traditions.
Blaming EU for those rools is just funny.
My apologies. I had not realized these minimum energy rules had been in place in Poland for over 1000 years. (just kidding. I know what you mean.)

Don't need rules. Most major ammunition manufacturers indicate whether their rounds are appropriate for Class 1, 2, or 3 big game. If you need a guide, use that. In any event, the real questions is, what is the scientific basis for selecting that particular level of energy for that animal, when we have all seen and heard of examples that don't fit with that linear way of thinking. There are also plenty of examples where round A has more energy than round B at a particular range, but not at a longer range.

Under Polish regulations, no way a 30-06 should be able to kill an elk at 250 yards, and yet.... it does. How???

You said "You can get data for any caliber, cartridge ,bullet combination and you can see if it is legal for game you are after.
It does not matter that mister Johns shot 150 WT Bucks with sling shot.
So if .223 delivers this much energy at given distance it is approved for this game."

You aren't getting data, you are getting the rules, which might be accurate or not, and might be based on good data, or not. And if you can kill whitetail bucks with a slingshot, then clearly the "rules" are wrong.

Last edited by Okotokian; 06-28-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:01 AM

Default Preference as always

I prefer something in the 30 cal range. Started hunting with a 30-06 and when it was time to retire that I moved to a .300 win mag. I feel that I can handle the recoil of that gun and I am confident in shooting it. My wife and 15 yr old 90 lb son find that a little to much. They have a .243 and .308 respectively. My wife killed her last moose with the .243 and it only went 3 steps before tipping over. My last moose with the .300 went about 30 yards. So I guess what i am saying is it doesn't matter if you make a good shot. and to make a good shot you need to be confident in your abilities with any given firearm.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:14 AM
Banned

Default post#1

I understudy your question.
that’s why as participants we are allowed to make a decision within the rules in Alberta.

My flavor for this year will be 338wm.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:56 AM

I maybe wrong here but dont Ontario regulations say big game bus legal to hunt with any center fire cartridge? That would mean 22 hornet and up.
I'm not suggesting you should moose hunt with a hornet but it's the old story - use enough gun.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
just wondering the result of the charge .. did the bull get to you .. and would you do it again with a 243 in hand ....
I got charged once and I was using a .270 win, the bull did not get me. It was my fault and not the rifle, he went down at the first shot and I walked right up to him to put one in his neck, got way too close way too quickly... amazing how fast a mostly dead moose can get back up. Anyways, I had to put one in his neck while running backwards. Having shot a few more moose now I've come to the conclusion that they generally do one of two things... they either run off at the shot and so long as you give them time to die you find them dead within about 50 yards, or they just stand there and let you blaze away at them... a moose that just drops should be handled carefully IMO.

The best gun to use for anything, short of the caliber being ridiculously unsuitable, is the gun you shoot regularly and are confident with. That gun is also the best rifle for long range hunting, as well as bush hunting... IMO most of the popular all around cartridges are plenty good enough to kill moose.

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-28-2016 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I think you're missing my whole question.
Why do people refer a rifles killing power to how well it works on moose?
Now to answer your questions which I assume are directed at me. I do like a 243 so I guess I'm a advocate of it. Yes there are better chambering so but it all depends on which side of the fence you're on. Anyone can shoot a 243. From your granddaughter to your grandmother. Not so with something bigger and better.
I've got a few rifles. 243 being the smallest I have for legal big game hunting.
Depends some might say I have worse calibers some might say I got the better ones. I like to say I got the bases covered. Got nothing to prove either.
Or? I don't know how to a answer this but "else"
Because they are the largest deer species.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I don't know how much you can generalize from this statement, but I once read a quote from a guide saying he liked to see a client show up with an older .30-06 because he figured the guy would know how to shoot it well.
X2. While guiding I was always more confident in a clients ability if he pulled a weathered but clean well used 30-06 outta his case rather than a brand spanking new 300 Lazeroni or another one of the "super duper" mags. Too many people believe horsepower can trump practice and marksmanship. That said I use a 338 winmag for all big game and my father in law uses a 243, both as stated many times will kill with proper shot placement. we've all heard the debate over penetration and energy transfer. In my opinion if you can poke holes in any large blood vessels/arteries and damage the organs dealing with blood (heart and lungs) you can kill anything regardless of body size and bullet size. But I also believe damaging mobility structure eg shoulder blades and joints to limit the targets ability to travel. That said big heavy for caliber bullets in as big a caliber you can shoot accurately. Doesn't have to be 1/2 MOA but being able to hit a standard pie plate off hand at 100 yds is a great start
Old 06-29-2016, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Heavyhitr View Post
Because they are the largest deer species.
Thanks. I don't have a over abundance of experience but the dozen or so moose have been very easy to kill. I've found that elk are harder to kill. Maybe it's just me but elk sure seem to soak up the lead. Any gun that'll cleanly kill a elk will hands down kill a moose. Not necessarily vice versa.