Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-13-2016, 01:05 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
Depends on the person, not the gun. If you can not handle much recoil then shooting a larger calibre may cause more animals being wounded than a more confident shot from a light recoil like the .243
Exactly, great point.
OP pay attention to this.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-13-2016, 01:12 AM
Banned

The .243 is a wonderful rifle, certainly great for deer, antelope or sheep, but I would have no hesitation using it for moose, elk or bear.

Go to the range, get to know your gun well, and then learn to shoot it well. I've never really understood the reason for heavy artillery that some use, outside of some African animals.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:42 AM

243 is a great deer rifle. For the first 3 years I had mine, all I used was Winchester super x 100 gr. They did the job just fine out to 400 yards. Nothing has ever run from it to need a blood trail yet. Even the moose I shot with it last fall only went a few yards. (100 gr sierra gameking handload.)
Old 04-13-2016, 06:45 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker34 View Post
243 is a great deer rifle. For the first 3 years I had mine, all I used was Winchester super x 100 gr. They did the job just fine out to 400 yards. Nothing has ever run from it to need a blood trail yet. Even the moose I shot with it last fall only went a few yards. (100 gr sierra gameking handload.)
Shhhhh don't say moose here

Old 04-13-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Oh crap.
LOL
Old 04-13-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
And in the same sentence as a Seirra cup and core!!
Cat
Old 04-13-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
What would all us "retards" know? Listen to the one that knows it all I guess?
Not quite sure what you mean by that. Was just commenting on his success.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS View Post
Not quite sure what you mean by that. Was just commenting on his success.
Sorry about that. Was just commenting on his belief that anyone who doesn't subscribe to his opinion is obviously a "retard." Have to wonder about the upbringing of some folk.....

Have a great day.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2016, 08:01 AM

No worries bud.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:24 AM

Well after a trip to the stomping ground today I've got my ranges figured for fusion 95gr from moa at 100 out to 12x12 steel at 500. I must say I'm surprised at the long range accuracy of this caliber. I'll probably never hunt a moose with it but deer for sure.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfnewfie View Post
Well after a trip to the stomping ground today I've got my ranges figured for fusion 95gr from moa at 100 out to 12x12 steel at 500. I must say I'm surprised at the long range accuracy of this caliber. I'll probably never hunt a moose with it but deer for sure.
I am just curious as to why would you be surprised that you can hit a 12"x12" steel plate at 500. Did you expect it to be less accurate than say a 270win, or a 30-06?
Old 04-13-2016, 02:24 PM

I knew my elevation was on but I was expecting the wind to play a bit more on a 95gr at that range but the rounds were within 6 in of eachother
Old 04-13-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
I was skeptical of them at first, but was very impressed buy accuracy and the wound channel. I'm usually an accubond guy.
Maybe I should just observe this post from now on before I get any more flack.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I was skeptical of them at first, but was very impressed buy accuracy and the wound channel. I'm usually an accubond guy.
Maybe I should just observe this post from now on before I get any more flack.
And the 90gr Accubond is also a great choice for a .243" hunting bullet.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
The .243 is a wonderful rifle, certainly great for deer, antelope or sheep, but I would have no hesitation using it for moose, elk or bear.

Go to the range, get to know your gun well, and then learn to shoot it well. I've never really understood the reason for heavy artillery that some use, outside of some African animals.
243 is not a rifle,,,,, a remington 700 is a rifle
Old 04-13-2016, 07:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
A 243 is not a rifle, a browning xbolt is a rifle
Old 04-13-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And the 90gr Accubond is also a great choice for a .243" hunting bullet.
I'll have to get a box and load some up. My wife loves it when I but more hunting/shooting stuff.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBI View Post
I have read this sort of thing , many times on AO , that being that , ... with proper " shot placement " , just about anything will kill anything .

I , personally , have to question this kind of thinking .

But what about ... just off a little/lot " shot placement " ... for whatever reason ?

For all the experienced hunters out there , I would assume it's fair to say that not every single shot that you have fired at a animal , has hit " exactly " where you intended it to hit , whether it deflected off a small branch , more cross wind than you thought , too fast/excited , target moved , whatever ...

Hence , not getting the proper " shot placement " .

Oh , it may and in most cases , probably still did the job , but I have to say , ( in my limited experience ) I can't image that anybody would actually trust that a " .243 " would be what one would take for a Moose hunt , I would even question , Elk hunt .

For those of you who are going to jump on me for this , ( cause you have shot plenty of big, Big game with a .243 ) , I'm not saying it can't/hasn't been done , I just saying that I don't see it as an " eithicial caliber to recommend for something as big as a Moose or perhaps Elk .

Oh , and 58thecat, I'm not pointing specifically at you , it simply was that your post was easy to quote .

.... My thoughts , maybe not yours ...
I don't have limited experience and your bang on,,,,,,
Old 04-13-2016, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
I have used a 243 mostly for coyote, fox, and rabbits on the snow, but no problems for deer with a 100gr bullet. My first rifle was a 6mm Rem so same caliber, but a bit more velocity. I used that "puny", "undergunned", "non-magnum" to harvest around 150+ whitetails, 40+ mulies, a moose, and a couple of elk. There's a pile of retards out there that will tell you a 300 magnum is a requirement for mule deer and larger, but the 243 would not be the most common starter rifle for North American big game if it were not up to the task.

If you want something a bit heavier but without the recoil, check out the 7-08 as it is very similar to the 243 in kick. Even a 270Win is mild as long as you have a solid stock and a quality recoil pad.
Lol,,,,150 whitetail??????? Supplementel does only came out not that long ago. Either your 100 years old and started killing whitetail when you were one or you poached a lot. The "r" word can be used on your statement fer sure. Not only do I hate that cartridge for anything but dogs, I even dislike the normal statements people make to justify the useless thing. Ranted enough,, I'll wait till this crap comes up next week and I'll say it again then.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Lol,,,,150 whitetail??????? Supplementel does only came out not that long ago. Either your 100 years old and started killing whitetail when you were one or you poached a lot. The "r" word can be used on your statement fer sure. Not only do I hate that cartridge for anything but dogs, I even dislike the normal statements people make to justify the useless thing. Ranted enough,, I'll wait till this crap comes up next week and I'll say it again then.
You are assuming that everyone has only hunted in Alberta, which isn't true. Some people grew up hunting in provinces where party hunting was legal, and some of us have hunted in multiple provinces for 30 or 40 years. I have only killed about 60 whitetails, but if I chose to fill every license that I have held, I would have killed over 100 whitetails. And I never purchased many of the whitetail tags that I could have over the years.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:20 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfnewfie View Post
This year I've decided on .243 win for my deer rifle I've tried a few loads seems like this rifle will moa just about whatever I feed it. Im planning on factory loads and wondering if anyone has experience with clean kills, pass through, good blood trail etc

Fine round for your plan. Get out and get too know your rifle and ammo and all will be well.

I have a Tikka T3 that just loves the Winchester 100gr.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:02 PM

The .243 is capable of quite a bit. There are are other rounds that are far more capable of accomplishing heavier tasks. For deer hunting it is a fine round. For elk and moose, well like I said there are other rounds more capable. It just stands to reason.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
You are assuming that everyone has only hunted in Alberta, which isn't true. Some people grew up hunting in provinces where party hunting was legal, and some of us have hunted in multiple provinces for 30 or 40 years. I have only killed about 60 whitetails, but if I chose to fill every license that I have held, I would have killed over 100 whitetails. And I never purchased many of the whitetail tags that I could have over the years.
Then edit your post to reflect that
Old 04-13-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Then edit your post to reflect that
I am not the one claiming to have killed 150 whitetails, but you are the one making assumptions.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
So those of you that don't think that a 90-100 gr bullet out of a 243win is adequate for a 250lb deer, would you consider a 130-150gr bullet out of a 270win adequate for a 1000lb moose?
Absolutely a 130-150 270 can kill a moose again and again and absolutely a 243 with 90-100 gr is sufficiant for deer. A 243 might be the perfect deer cartridge. People need to learn how to shoot, and not just close their eyes and hold on.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 04-13-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
Use proper weights and them sierra's will serve one well.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
Depends on the person, not the gun. If you can not handle much recoil then shooting a larger calibre may cause more animals being wounded than a more confident shot from a light recoil like the .243
BINGO !

I’m a flincher so the 243 should instil more confidence and improve ability. Picked it up today. Tikka 243 supervarmint, Nightforce NXS 8x30x56. I have no idea how to use that scope yet… pretty stoked !!

Old 04-14-2016, 05:52 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcan View Post
BINGO !

I’m a flincher so the 243 should instil more confidence and improve ability. Picked it up today. Tikka 243 supervarmint, Nightforce NXS 8x30x56. I have no idea how to use that scope yet… pretty stoked !!

Beauty rifle for sure.

As for the scope thingy on top with all the knobs you put your eye close to the small end and ensure your hand is on the knob of choice...

Happy times are here again.!

Old 04-14-2016, 06:55 AM

Let's see 100gr broad head out of a bow at say 330fps yep kills elk and moose all fall. 117 gr projectile at 3100 out of a 25 06 kills deer moose elk all day long. But a 100 gr .243 slug will only kill foxes coyotes and maybe a deer. Give me a break. Think a deers lung's notice the difference. A hole in the vitals is a hole in the vitals. Hell I have killed deer with lead round balls out of a hawkens. Maybe I should have used my belted magnum muzzle loader just to make sure..... just a heads up that was sarcasm.... I love the only a uber magnum kills animals but my bow smokes elk all day.....

Last edited by honda610; 04-14-2016 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:02 AM
Banned

My son, at 14, shot and killed a 12 pt whitetail from 200 meters. It's an effective calibre, provided you place that bullet where it counts.