Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-23-2016, 09:05 AM

Default Best Ground Blinds

Looking for input on selection for a ground blind tall enough to stand when shooting either a bow or rifle. Getting harder and harder to climb into the tree at 65. Pro and cons will be appreciated.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:38 AM

Look into the Ameristep mancave. Seen it advertised and is a big ground blind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2016, 10:01 AM

Default Ground blind

Itve got a piece of asat fabric, it rolled up nice and small. A folding stool and your cloth and a few feet of para cord and you can make a blind anywhere you want. Very light, very portable and you'll never fall out of a tree!
Old 06-24-2016, 08:23 AM

Default barronett blinds

Anyone have or tried a Barronett Big Mike or the Grounder 350?
Old 06-28-2016, 11:43 AM

i got the rhino xp-1. Going on 8 years now. Repaired 4 times from bears and snow load. fetched it out of a creek twice last year as well.

anybody know how to mold plastic to create a real scent proof blind?
Old 06-28-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillTophunter View Post
Look into the Ameristep mancave. Seen it advertised and is a big ground blind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A buddy of mine bought one...lot's of room but don't expect to be able to make a standing bow shot (like the ad shows) unless your game is leaning up against the blind.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:30 PM

I have a rhino blind they got my business after reading numerous positive reviews. First day i set it up I killed a moose so can't complain
Old 06-28-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatei View Post
Anyone have or tried a Barronett Big Mike or the Grounder 350?
Im also 65 and I have both the Baronnette big Mike and grounder Love the height which allows me to stand and shoot with my bow. I also think they are the strongest stands out there based on my experience. I used to own several other makes of blinds including Primos and when we had the real heavy and deep snow 3 years ago I wasnt able to get back in to get my blinds out till following spring. Every other blind was flattened, ripped and poles shattered but my two baronnette blinds were still standing with only one pole cracked which was easily replaced. They get my vote
Gord
Old 06-28-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Itve got a piece of asat fabric, it rolled up nice and small. A folding stool and your cloth and a few feet of para cord and you can make a blind anywhere you want. Very light, very portable and you'll never fall out of a tree!
This, no matter what pop up blind you get, the thing still sticks out like a sore thumb, at bow ranges they are pretty worthless IMO unless left out for a couple weeks... but so long as you are giving deer time to adjust to a blind pretty much anything will work, I've built them out of shipping pallets and it works just fine.

If you want a blind that you can put up and hunt the same day camo netting or natural materials are your best bet.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:16 PM

Pro's and con's to camo netting or cloth vs a blind . I think a mature buck who's been around few season is going to notice anything out of place but well brushed in; BOTH a blind or netting can blend in very nicely The piece of cloth and paracord is much lighter and easy to carry in than a blind but a good portion of body and bow are exposed above it and the movement can be easier detected than someone in the dark shadows of a blind. I think its always better to do any trimming/brushing as far in advance as possible as deer can smell the fresh cuttings and may spook out. I have had great experience with the Baronette blinds, they hold up to snow loads very well and I can stand and shoot bow in several models
Old 06-28-2016, 10:10 PM

I just make a ground blind out of logs etc

works great deer/elk /wolves just all come with-in 30yds or less

environmentally friendly

lawn chair ready & heater

Food for Thought

David

Old 06-28-2016, 11:43 PM

Although I don't own a ground blind yet, the one I've got my eye on is a 2015 ram 1500 with the hemi
Even with being able to still climb the trees, I think if I ever buy another blind it will be a ground blind. I hate being stuck in the tree unable to wander the woods when I start to fidget (after 5 minutes of sitting). I like the idea of combining the suggestions of gathering dead fall etc and using some cloth to hang. Portable and affordable
Old 06-29-2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
Pro's and con's to camo netting or cloth vs a blind . I think a mature buck who's been around few season is going to notice anything out of place but well brushed in; BOTH a blind or netting can blend in very nicely The piece of cloth and paracord is much lighter and easy to carry in than a blind but a good portion of body and bow are exposed above it and the movement can be easier detected than someone in the dark shadows of a blind. I think its always better to do any trimming/brushing as far in advance as possible as deer can smell the fresh cuttings and may spook out. I have had great experience with the Baronette blinds, they hold up to snow loads very well and I can stand and shoot bow in several models
This is all good information for sure, even though my opinion may differ on a few things... but on the subject of this particular statement my point was, if you are putting your blind out 3 weeks early anyways why bother with camo at all? So long as you are giving the deer sufficient time to adjust you can build a plywood cube 16 feet high and paint it florescent pink and it will still work. A long term blind made out of plywood or shipping pallets might get some visitors but it wont go missing.

Best blinds I have made were out of chicken wire with brush poked through the mesh, a blind like this gets no visitors because unless you know its there you usually cant even see it.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:15 AM

Default Blinds

It's a huge mistake to hide behind the fabric and shoot over top of your blind material. I put the material high behind me to break up my outline. I put anothe piece about chest height so I can fiddle with my bow and mitts without having the movenpment showing.

I shot my deer last year at about 8 feet using this technique. I had to let the deer walk past me before shooting because it was too close and I needed it a bit further away.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Looking for input on selection for a ground blind tall enough to stand when shooting either a bow or rifle. Getting harder and harder to climb into the tree at 65. Pro and cons will be appreciated.
Go out in the spring to your area of choice and build a natural blind if you live near a treed area, got a few to date, still there because nobody wants to steal a bunch of piled up deadfall etc
Does not cost you a thing, get fresh air, even can tarp the top and cover with branches if you wish too
Just a thought.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-29-2016, 08:39 AM

Thanks guys, all excellent ideas. I agree that animals will notice anything new in their home range, even a new pile of dead fall. My dog will even stalk out a garbage bag in the ravine that wasn't there yesterday. I think I will get one of the Barronett blinds when the price is right, unfortunately the only place in Edmonton that carries them is Wholesale as far as I know.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post

environmentally friendly

Food for Thought

David

You find the heater still works when you are in the open like that?
Old 06-29-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post

environmentally friendly

Food for Thought

David
I build several of these per year. very quick and easy. No packing in a big ole blind. Shot many an animal from the same stacked log blinds. Offers a great shooting rest and 100% terrain matched concealment. I prefer this over a treestand as you can move after your quarry if the situation calls for it. I've been close enough to deer to almost touch them in a log blind.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
LOL I hear you bro....at 68
Old 06-30-2016, 04:24 PM

Yes it does..

I use a Black Cat Heater under lawn chair and a blanket around knees/ legs

heat rises and keeps body warm

west wind in face so smell is going into trees behind me

the deer came right up too and looked in at 10ft

the Wolves were at 30 yards when trotting in at me shot 1 at 25 yds

second was 200yds down hill in front of blind .. it stopped to look back

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
You find the heater still works when you are in the open like that?
Old 07-01-2016, 07:09 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Proof is in the pudding...now go build a few and enjoy not spending money to sit in a tent!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-01-2016, 07:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Proof is in the pudding...now go build a few and enjoy not spending money to sit in a tent!
I think I just might. We built one last year, seemed to work ok but used branches across two logs tied to a tree, only good for 1 year and it was in a low density area so hard to tell if it would have worked. Will try this year again.