Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-25-2014, 11:38 PM

First off, Bwackwabbit, Zip-n-Z and anyone else involved let me be one of the guys to say thanks for the pictures and trip report and sorry for what has happened on here. Keep up the good work and don't let the negative nancies get you down...

And now back on topic... Ctown since you obviously have the ability to "read and understand" the English language and regulations please read the following...

Definition of bait as outlined in regulations.

Quote:
Fishing with Bait
Bait – the definition of bait (see page 21) includes, but is not restricted to:
corn, cheese, marshmallows, meat, maggots, meal worms, earthworms,
wax worms, gammarus shrimp, leeches, terrestrial insects, the larvae,
pupae or adults of aquatic insects (e.g., stonefly, mayfly, caddis fly), bait
fish
, parts of fish, fish eggs, scented baits, power baits and all additives that
scent or flavour artificial baits and lures.
Government sign stating lake regulations as posted at the lake in question.

This is difficult for me because English is only my first language but it would seem that bait fish are allowed on this lake because bait fish are a form of bait which is clearly stated as allowed for this lake...

What I would recommend you do is contact SRD and tell them to fix their incorrect signage and to simplify their regs so that their own people don't make this same mistake again in the future... It will go a lot further to resolving this issue then lambasting other forum members for making an obviously simple mistake...
Old 11-26-2014, 05:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post
As one of the "poachers" you are speaking of, please allow me the opportunity to respond.

First of all the blame resides w/me. I and I alone read the regs and advised my fellow angler that indeed bait was allowed. Clearly this is incorrect and the mistake made is mine as I said.

I had no malicious intent, it was a matter of misinterpretation of the regs, which again I read before we departed for our trip.

ctown I know you have first hand knowledge of mistakenly interpreting the regs as evidenced in the thread I link below.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=223383

It clearly does not equate in the gravity of the mistake but is a mistake nonetheless. It also serves to further enforce your original point.

In future I will ensure that I thoroughly read the regs prior to embarking on adventures into areas unfamiliar to me.

I mean no disrespect in this reply. I simply want to clear the air and to reinforce the original sentiment of the thread.

Cheers.
You guys say He handled this well. No the correct thing would haven been to go to nearest fish and wildlife office with your illegal catch than explain what happened as soon as you found out that you had illegally caught ,killed,& kept fish. Than you could rest your head knowing you did the right thing.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:08 AM
Banned

Who Cares what the sign says it's not the regs!! Like th OP said. As anglers it our responsibility to read them and understand them. Not a sign at a lake. People who claim different do so do it to knowingly break laws and regulationse. It a simple subject with painfully obvious solution. Know the laws before you go out.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:26 AM

You found a soap box made for two, that's pretty cool! Does it come with a built in mega phone, or did you get the base model with the dunce hats??
Old 11-26-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Yaker View Post
You guys say He handled this well. No the correct thing would haven been to go to nearest fish and wildlife office with your illegal catch than explain what happened as soon as you found out that you had illegally caught ,killed,& kept fish. Than you could rest your head knowing you did the right thing.
Is that what you do when you catch yourself going a couple km over the speedlimit?

Where I come from, when someone unknowingly, with no malice intended, with no ill intent, make a mistake (vs committing a crime), you apologize for that mistake, and LEARN from your mistakes, well, you shake that person's hand, or at the very least, you drop it.

But maybe it's a Yaker thing. Maybe you're just a grumpy old man and need a hug. Maybe you're a young little whipper snapper who needs a good spanking. Maybe, just maybe, you're a disgruntled fisherperson (I've heard of disgruntledness leading to negativity before).

Whatever the reason for the spur under your butt - sshhhhhhh.

Again, as mentioned to the other high-horse contestant (which one of you is winning by the way?), you are certainly welcome to call F&W and allow them to do their jobs.

I know both these gentlemen. I've fished with both these gentlemen. They're stand up individuals, and made an honest mistake. I'll stand by them after you make your call.

Cheers
Old 11-26-2014, 08:25 AM

Each zone has restrictions. And each zone clearly states whether or not you can use baitfish. Don't give me the general bs. If a CO showed up to a group of seasoned fishermen using baitfish when not allowed what would happen? Everyone has excuses for not knowing. And there are two sides to every story. Doesn't mean the law wasn't broken. And yeah if I was speeding and it caused the death of something. I would turn myself in. If anyone should call and correct the sign it should be the ones fishing. And should be done immediately. Thing is in that zone the rules are clear as a bell. So good luck with that. I'm not disgruntled I'm disappointed.

Besides by taking the picture in the first place it shows you were clearly in question about the rules.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:35 AM

I believe rabbit has admitted to the wrong doing anything further will not change the out come. So I would let the thread die the way all theads do. If clown and yanked wish to continue so be it. No sense in feeding the trolls... Have a great hard water season.

Mack
Old 11-26-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post
As one of the "poachers" you are speaking of, please allow me the opportunity to respond.

First of all the blame resides w/me. I and I alone read the regs and advised my fellow angler that indeed bait was allowed. Clearly this is incorrect and the mistake made is mine as I said.

I had no malicious intent, it was a matter of misinterpretation of the regs, which again I read before we departed for our trip.

ctown I know you have first hand knowledge of mistakenly interpreting the regs as evidenced in the thread I link below.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=223383

It clearly does not equate in the gravity of the mistake but is a mistake nonetheless. It also serves to further enforce your original point.

In future I will ensure that I thoroughly read the regs prior to embarking on adventures into areas unfamiliar to me.

I mean no disrespect in this reply. I simply want to clear the air and to reinforce the original sentiment of the thread.

Cheers.

To all concerned, we made an error and stand together, this will/should serve as a huge Lesson Learned for all members !

"No" means "No" ... at Birch Lake ... "Yes" means "No" ... check your ES2 Reg's !

Z-z

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 11-26-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctown View Post
Each zone has restrictions. And each zone clearly states whether or not you can use baitfish. Don't give me the general bs. If a CO showed up to a group of seasoned fishermen using baitfish when not allowed what would happen? Everyone has excuses for not knowing. And there are two sides to every story. Doesn't mean the law wasn't broken. And yeah if I was speeding and it caused the death of something. I would turn myself in. If anyone should call and correct the sign it should be the ones fishing. And should be done immediately. Thing is in that zone the rules are clear as a bell. So good luck with that. I'm not disgruntled I'm disappointed.

Besides by taking the picture in the first place it shows you were clearly in question about the rules.
Thank you for validating that you have double standards, and thus, making your words hallow. It's sad that you have to wait to kill someone before you will report your illegal activity. Sad, sad day. *sigh*
Old 11-26-2014, 01:01 PM

Default Everyone in this place needs to chill out, go fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbotman View Post
You have handled this with ownership and class. I respect that.
X3.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Yaker View Post
Who Cares what the sign says it's not the regs!! Like th OP said. As anglers it our responsibility to read them and understand them. Not a sign at a lake. People who claim different do so do it to knowingly break laws and regulationse. It a simple subject with painfully obvious solution. Know the laws before you go out.
X2
A sign put up years ago doesn't neccesarily reflect the currents regs. Let's move on, you fine gentlemen are forgiven.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:32 AM

No wonder these guys made the mistake look at the sighn and why are baitfish singled out whats the big deal ...idk just my opinion but poaching is keeping fish you arent allowed not a simple misunderstanding of the rules espescially when the sighn clearly says baits allowed ...why turn yourself in yoid be nailed to the cross for sure over a simple technicality ...ill never fish birch lake if thats the sneaky kinda crap goin on with the regs ...imho these guys did not intentionally do wrong so why label them poachers .. rather a low blow if ya ask me ... no wonder people hate posting pics here ...ever see albetta fishin buddys on fb ...??? Funny everyone gets along and while people here are asking about ice thickness people there have been posting ice fishing pics every day for 3 weeks now ...just my 2 cents