Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2024, 11:28 AM

Default Special weather statement Calgary

special weather statement in effect Potential for significant snowfall mid-week. Snow is expected to begin Tuesday evening and continue through Wednesday. Total amounts between 10 to 25 cm are possible by Thursday morning, with the highest amounts falling west of Highway 2 over higher terrain. The snow will be heavy and wet, and may be mixed with rain in some areas, so total snowfall amounts will vary widely.

Really, really hope farm land gets a solid dump. Heavy wet snow should melt in well this time of year. Ground should all be thawed. No ground frost left in Calgary.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-29-2024, 01:02 PM

anything is welcomed, but the best scenario has past..... moisture when the ground is frozen is the best type for filling our wetlands and water courses. The sandy soil of the south will soak it up but we need more in our surface water collection ponds, sloughs etc.... up North its still bad as an FYI
Old 04-29-2024, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
special weather statement in effect Potential for significant snowfall mid-week. Snow is expected to begin Tuesday evening and continue through Wednesday. Total amounts between 10 to 25 cm are possible by Thursday morning, with the highest amounts falling west of Highway 2 over higher terrain. The snow will be heavy and wet, and may be mixed with rain in some areas, so total snowfall amounts will vary widely.

Really, really hope farm land gets a solid dump. Heavy wet snow should melt in well this time of year. Ground should all be thawed. No ground frost left in Calgary.
I think it is kinda funny that 6-12" of snow is now a "special snow fall " warning heck it is barely enough for big game tracking snow LOL. We do live in interesting times.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I think it is kinda funny that 6-12" of snow is now a "special snow fall " warning heck it is barely enough for big game tracking snow LOL. We do live in interesting times.
Very cool giant flakes falling in Calgary.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-30-2024, 08:59 AM

Sundance,

Water flowing into the ground at higher elevations is spring water flowing out of the ground at lower elevations. Nothing wrong with a recharge of ground water.

Better point is any soil moisture will damp down the dreaded wildfire season that has been predicted. With that much wet snow falling, it will be a good month before the forests are in a condition for wildfire risk. By then we should see some May - June spring rains and there will be water flow into the reservoirs. If not, there should be ground water springs flowing to at least some degree.

If you ever go to Jasper National Park, Medicine Lake will fill and drop over 30 feet of water in a season. The water ends up flowing down valley through gravel to feed the springs flowing into the Maligne River and the Athabasca River for the rest of the year. That is alot of water!

Drewski
Old 04-30-2024, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Gotta keep the sheep in a constant state of fear lol. It works
Old 04-30-2024, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
You would have to be blind to not see there is an agenda with the weather. The consistent fear mongering and what is worse… people buy into it. I truly feel sorry for them. Snow in late April in alberta is as consistent as it gets.

If you expect people to send tax money to change the climate you do need to push on all angles. Genius scam really.
Old 04-30-2024, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
You would have to be blind to not see there is an agenda with the weather. The consistent fear mongering and what is worse… people buy into it. I truly feel sorry for them. Snow in late April in alberta is as consistent as it gets.

If you expect people to send tax money to change the climate you do need to push on all angles. Genius scam really.
It ain't just the weather...
Old 04-30-2024, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
How true.

Red Special Weather Statement for my area too...5 to 10mm of rain/snow starting tonight into tomorrow...hehe.

But I'll take it without declaring a local emergency...
Old 04-30-2024, 09:42 AM

3 inches of wet heavy snow in SE Calgary. Much needed.

Bragg creek got a lot. Live cam images. You gotta look before it's all gone.

https://braggcreektrails.org/web-cam...H_BNx-em6AshBW

Lots in the foothills. Hwy 22 doesn't look like a lot of fun.

Old 04-30-2024, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Sundance,

Water flowing into the ground at higher elevations is spring water flowing out of the ground at lower elevations. Nothing wrong with a recharge of ground water.

Better point is any soil moisture will damp down the dreaded wildfire season that has been predicted. With that much wet snow falling, it will be a good month before the forests are in a condition for wildfire risk. By then we should see some May - June spring rains and there will be water flow into the reservoirs. If not, there should be ground water springs flowing to at least some degree.

If you ever go to Jasper National Park, Medicine Lake will fill and drop over 30 feet of water in a season. The water ends up flowing down valley through gravel to feed the springs flowing into the Maligne River and the Athabasca River for the rest of the year. That is alot of water!

Drewski
Agreed. The moisture is great.

Spent most of my camping youth in Jasper. My favourite area of the mountains.

Medicine Lake karst valley is so cool. Wouldn’t it be a thrill to find some massive cave in that area. Got to be some.

Had about 5 inches of dripping wet snow this morning. Weather forecast may bring another 10-15 cm.

Hopefully some water makes it to ponds and sloughs.

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 04-30-2024 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post

How much tax do we need to pay to bring back global warming?
Old 04-30-2024, 07:10 PM

Quote:
No doubt. Snow in April/May in Southern Alberta is not news. lol.

-Billy Molls