Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Banned

Default What do you give back?

After going to the AHEIA banquet and then having our Sundre Trappers Association Banquet, I got thinking we get a great satisfaction knowing that the groups we support give much back into the Outdoors Community.

On a personal note all the garbage picked up on the trapline by some irresponsible users, help when someone is stuck or lost, lending out tools or giving some gas to get a someone back on the road or trail. I've very rarely not had a thank you and sometimes has lead to meeting some real fine folks.

So I thught I'd start a thread....we are all users of the outdoor resources, whether it be hunting, fishing, camping, trapping, horsebacking, hiking etc.. The question is: What do you give back?
Old 02-16-2011, 02:01 PM

TIME with local orgonizations including labour for repairs and maintinence and orgonizational time
Old 02-16-2011, 02:55 PM

I left some bales out for the deer after we chased them off the swath grazing by putting the cattle in. I leave a couple acres of thin crop out for birds and deer. After the deer are done there is lot left for the partridge and sharp tails. The other day a covey of partridge were picking gravel on a road in my yard, so I got a 5 gallon pail of wheat and spread it around for them(I enjoy the little guys nesting the shelter belts around the yard). Plant several hundred trees a year, for shelter belt and wildlife habitat, come to think of it there is even a bat house on the clothesline pole out back. Keep cattle out of sharp tail habitat during breeding/nesting season.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 02-16-2011, 03:06 PM

Default giving back

HBReefer, you give in all the right ways. Sometimes I wonder about all these committees and chatter, if anything is really accomplished at the end of the day.
I am a past president of the local Fish and Game, as well as past chair of the Brooks Pheasant Festival committee. I still come out on request to give firearms talks (instructor for the canadian firearms course) for hunter ed groups, and I traditionally MC the local big game awards banquet.
At present, I have aquired an incubator (thanks to WWBirds) that is going to the 4H club in Hays. Told them I would supply the eggs if they can get the old 4H release program going again for pheasants.
There is a second incubator in the works, as soon as I get final committment from one of the local Brooks 4H groups to do the same arrangement for releasing pheasants.
The local bird population is pretty much wiped out. Just trying to get a new start, and to get some kids interested in keeping it going.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
HBReefer, you give in all the right ways. Sometimes I wonder about all these committees and chatter, if anything is really accomplished at the end of the day.
I am a past president of the local Fish and Game, as well as past chair of the Brooks Pheasant Festival committee. I still come out on request to give firearms talks (instructor for the canadian firearms course) for hunter ed groups, and I traditionally MC the local big game awards banquet.
At present, I have aquired an incubator (thanks to WWBirds) that is going to the 4H club in Hays. Told them I would supply the eggs if they can get the old 4H release program going again for pheasants.
There is a second incubator in the works, as soon as I get final committment from one of the local Brooks 4H groups to do the same arrangement for releasing pheasants.
The local bird population is pretty much wiped out. Just trying to get a new start, and to get some kids interested in keeping it going.
I see it as mutually beneficial. I enjoy seeing and hunting the wildlife, all except my yard partridges that will get you in trouble. Leaving a few bales out keeps them away from the big stacks and trees in the yard, so self-serving in a way. This winter is going to be hard on the wildlife, I would hate to see too many die, but interfering too much is also not good, mother nature is a nasty bi--h.

We've tried pheasants here. Grandad got birds from the program you mentioned for about 10 years. The yard is on a creek with decent habitat, our
winter is just a bit too harsh for them. Too bad they are cool looking animals. A private introduction of turkeys was also tried around here, didn't work out either.

Forgot, I also have a 30-40 acre DU dam in the backyard. That we put flax bales out in for nesting habitat. It is also a wonderful breeding ground and nursery for mosquitoes, lol.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 02-16-2011, 03:41 PM

I ask(insist)that my renter leave at least 5 acres of barley or wheat in the swath on each of my quarters for the deer and birds to feed on through the winter, or as long as it lasts, the costs of which are deducted from the rent. I also voluntarily raise money for the local scouting organization for their outdoor activities, including their camps and international jamborees. Amazing how much one can gather with a simple phone call(calling in chits from the past)!!!!

Last edited by unclebuck; 02-16-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:16 PM

Although i am not a real bird hunter, every November i set up and stock feeding stations for the game birds near my farm. Between 500 and 600lbs of seed, cracked wheat and other edibles.

I sometimes make brushpiles for shelter too.

I enjoy that kinda stuff. It seems like work, but it isnt
Old 02-16-2011, 05:16 PM

I guess I'm not a big giver backer, cause I spend most of my time trying to get my fair share, but you've got to admire the trappers association. Banquet was well attended, mostly by people who've never done more than snare gophers and very few of the huge number of silent auction items sold for less then retail value.

Grizz
Old 02-16-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVTRAPPING View Post
After going to the AHEIA banquet and then having our Sundre Trappers Association Banquet, I got thinking we get a great satisfaction knowing that the groups we support give much back into the Outdoors Community.

On a personal note all the garbage picked up on the trapline by some irresponsible users, help when someone is stuck or lost, lending out tools or giving some gas to get a someone back on the road or trail. I've very rarely not had a thank you and sometimes has lead to meeting some real fine folks.

So I thught I'd start a thread....we are all users of the outdoor resources, whether it be hunting, fishing, camping, trapping, horsebacking, hiking etc.. The question is: What do you give back?
This is a good thread, and a good question, because it made me pause for a second.

1. The greatest thing any of us can give back is respect.

2. Then, if we could take the physicians oath approach and, "first do no harm".

3. Represent your sport well wherever you are.

It's all free!
Old 02-16-2011, 06:00 PM

More than I take.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I guess I'm not a big giver backer, cause I spend most of my time trying to get my fair share, but you've got to admire the trappers association. Banquet was well attended, mostly by people who've never done more than snare gophers and very few of the huge number of silent auction items sold for less then retail value.

Grizz
I bet if you think about it there are lots of small things you do without thinking about it that give back. Picking up garbage when you find counts, everyone does that, right.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:55 PM

Good thread.

I don't do a lot of deer hunting, much of what I do is just to go with the other guys, get permission, most often supply the truck and lodging. We dont like deer meat, so have pretty much given up.

As for bird hunting I have never eaten more than half of half a sandwich, but last year took out more than 20 guys all totalled, and put them up at my place.

I guess what I give back is helping other hunters with permission, set up, transportation, lodging, building blinds, now decoys, bird breasters.

For fishing, I supply the boat, truck, know most of the good fishing spots around here.

For varmint control I try to get guys out as much as possible, and make sure we give thousands of pieces of lead back to the ground.

I try to do a little volunteering too.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-17-2011, 07:06 AM
Banned

Default Roll out the feed

Rollled out some more greenfeed for the deer/elk. Hope I don't get a flat like last year ....my tire found a nice shed burried in the feed...LOL..

Grizz, how come you didn't buy the hockey tickets!!!