Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-13-2020, 12:31 PM

Default New hunters and marketing.

I have heard a few ladies and gents recently who have been looking at getting in to hunting but have been discouraged by their friends, telling them you need a new 300wm, ozonators, designer camo, cellphone/trail cam...
Basically marketing.
I dont care what people use, and I have no problem with any of it.
Let's just show new hunters that hunting was very simple for the last few thousand years. There are lots of old boys with old huskys in 6.5x55 (or stick bows)a wool jacket and a good pair of boots, just playing the wind, killing animals every year. probably learned a lot faster and enjoyed the experience more than the social media hunters.
Keep it simple!
Old 07-13-2020, 01:13 PM

No kidding my hunting clothes are 20 years old I keep them in good condition and store them every year use a wind checker and I have no problem killing game every year I get a kick out of these guys that are wearing thousand-dollar pants I just don't see the purpose not for that price anyway but they look good

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2020, 01:27 PM

I agree my nephew needed new hunting clothes as he is now a young adult. Brown Carhartt jacket and insulated bibs for deer hunting. Can also be used to help work on cars,around the yard, ice fishing. Deer didnt notice him from 200m in the tree stand. Just scouted and put a stand next to a known travel corridor. If a guy wants the gadgets great knock your socks off. Just dont say they are necessary.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
I have heard a few ladies and gents recently who have been looking at getting in to hunting but have been discouraged by their friends, telling them you need a new 300wm, ozonators, designer camo, cellphone/trail cam...
Basically marketing.
I dont care what people use, and I have no problem with any of it.
Let's just show new hunters that hunting was very simple for the last few thousand years. There are lots of old boys with old huskys in 6.5x55 (or stick bows)a wool jacket and a good pair of boots, just playing the wind, killing animals every year. probably learned a lot faster and enjoyed the experience more than the social media hunters.
Keep it simple!
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
I agree my nephew needed new hunting clothes as he is now a young adult. Brown Carhartt jacket and insulated bibs for deer hunting. Can also be used to help work on cars,around the yard, ice fishing. Deer didnt notice him from 200m in the tree stand. Just scouted and put a stand next to a known travel corridor. If a guy wants the gadgets great knock your socks off. Just dont say they are necessary.

Old 07-13-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
Maybe strap on a set of horns to go with the brown jacket and a white tail for the bibs . There's to many nut cases out there to dress up the same color as a deer.

This can get a new hunter killed, plus the smell of oil and gas on you clothing isn't the greatest for hiding your scent.

A good set of hunting clothing just for hunting isn't going to break the bank and it doesn't have to be fancy, something that when you walk that isn't stiff or loud for both jacket and pants.

JD
Old 07-13-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Maybe strap on a set of horns to go with the brown jacket and a white tail for the bibs . There's to many nut cases out there to dress up the same color as a deer.

This can get a new hunter killed, plus the smell of oil and gas on you clothing isn't the greatest for hiding your scent.

A good set of hunting clothing just for hunting isn't going to break the bank and it doesn't have to be fancy, something that when you walk that isn't stiff or loud for both jacket and pants.

JD
Yes I'd like wearing wool pants are polar fleece very very quiet

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2020, 04:09 PM

I just shake my head at what people pay for designer hunting gear, no I laugh. I thought women were suckers, but the modern hunter has said hold my beer and watch this spending spree. Fly fishermen have nothing on these guys.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-13-2020, 04:47 PM

Come on, so you are telling me that $400 for a pair of gloves is not reasonable??
Old 07-13-2020, 04:58 PM

When I go hunting with someone, and they have a Huskemaw scope and factory HSM ammunition , I start wondering, when they have a case with several turrets for different temperatures, I get nervous, when they need to lay prone to shoot a moose at 50 yards, I know that they have watched too much Best Of The West.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I just shake my head at what people pay for designer hunting gear, no I laugh. I thought women were suckers, but the modern hunter has said hold my beer and watch this spending spree. Fly fishermen have nothing on these guys.
And the biggest of the big name designer gear is made in China to boot. And yes, over priced.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:20 PM

If someone is steered away from getting into hunting because a "buddy" tells them they won't be good enough unless they buy a bunch of gucci gear, then they had the wrong motivations to begin with. Impressing the "buddy" was probably all they cared about and decided the high price tag was too much trouble for their bromance.

Or maybe this lowsy expensive gear advice is because the "buddy" doesnt want to have the new guy come along, so expensive advice is given to make it excessively difficult for the new guy to actually get out there.

Whatever the situation, someone who is genuinely interested will do research to learn beyond the lowsy advice and will and go out with whatever they can scrub together just so they can get out there and learn the experience.

Last edited by Nyksta; 07-13-2020 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:44 PM

My son’s camo. He’s colour blind so doesn’t know the difference. And so is the bear.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-13-2020, 07:05 PM

I have Sitka gear both for early and late season, I like it for bow hunting because it’s warm, quiet, and comfortable and comes in a decent pattern. The early stuff is light, quiet and breathable and comes in a decent pattern too. I wait for sales or discounts and grab what I need, I have never paid “full price” for it.... I dont really care what other people wear or don’t wear, I don’t wear it because it’s brand name, I wear it because it works for me. I wear it hunting... I don’t wear it to go shopping

LC
Old 07-13-2020, 07:19 PM

I remember guiding in Yukon and wearing orange WetSkins pants.....my hunter commented several times about it. We had a cameraman filming the hunt

When we walked up to his moose, he conceded that camo wasnt absolutely necessary

Shockey included that hunt on one of his DVD's

Yup. Orange pants. The moose laughed at me and we killed him......
Old 07-13-2020, 07:25 PM

^
I'm not trying to rag on guys or girls who want to spend money on brand names. Use what works for you. I just want everyone especially new hunters to know that that is a want not a need! And it's ok to spend on your wants, I have a couple old pieces of blued steel and walnut, that I didnt need to splurge on!
Old 07-13-2020, 08:04 PM

Funny thread. But if a hunter wants to lay out 10k for a scope and rifle so he can shoot deer at 800 yards its cool.

Really hunting is no different than golf, fishing, the latest IPad/phone, or mountain biking. Marketing peer pressure with new variations and built in obsolescence every year.

Not sure how my grandfather ever became one of the top hunters in Northern Sask shooting a 32-40 with no turret scope.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:39 PM

The most important thing about your clothing is that it's appropriate for the elements, not that it locks in smell or has a camo pattern. I've shot deer in jeans and a winter jacket with reflectors (a bad outfit choice), and I've shot them while wearing the fancy stuff some people make fun of. Both deer tasted as good.

Whatever you wear the keys are layering and material selection.
1. Base/Wicking layer
2. Insulating layer
3. Shell layer

Base layer is to keep sweat off of your skin to keep you warm and prevent chafing. Insulating layer is necessary as temperatures dip and a long-sleeve shirt isn't enough. The shell layer protects you from wind, snow, and rain. This is basic knowledge, but I still see people in the outdoors that don't know it so I'll keep sharing it.

This is what matters about hunting clothes, but unfortunately a beginner might not know that. There's no money in a hunter wearing the same kit to go hunting as to shovel the walk, so hunting companies keep it on the downlow.

PS If you're on AO you're already a social media hunter. No need to try to denigrate others about it. Being social is how we share information and learn.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:51 PM

Sure you can do it cheap but I doubt many on here can say we go with bare bones. It’s an addictive hobby. Probably best to warn them now. Lol
Old 07-13-2020, 09:24 PM

We hunt private land. We also wash our clothes before going out....no oil etc. Ever heard of blaze orange vest. at 500 meters brown green black all look extremely dark...also walking out with a head lamp helps
We have camo clothes but saying you need camo to hunt is retarded. How many guys sneak up on a whitetail.... if a deer spooks from 200m when your In a tree your not shooting him anyways.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:39 PM

I'm going to say about twenty years ago. There was two guys going hunting on the south east part of 406. There's was a government trail head day parking spot there. So the parking lot was full of hunters. Everyone had new trucks and fancy team roper fifth wheel horse trailers. All new saddles,pack saddles,new ropes,riggings, you name it.They had all the new camo and fancy plastic rifles, etc.
Well two of them had old trucks and stock trailers and every thing about them was wore in pretty good.
There was two fish cops there looking at everybody. They laughed to each other and I quote " you can sure see who the farmers are in this group ".
They didn't know they were being heard.
Anyway the two farmers ended up being the only ones who got an elk out of the group. Took em a week,but they got a good one.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:48 PM

I have no idea how my uncles hunted sheep for 14 days in wranglers a jean jacket and a raincoat. You want to dress up like your featured in a hunting commercial go ahead but you don’t need to. Wear what’s comfortable and keeps you comfortable. Have fun
Old 07-13-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Funny thread. But if a hunter wants to lay out 10k for a scope and rifle so he can shoot deer at 800 yards its cool.
Who here said that?

-Billy Molls
Old 07-13-2020, 10:17 PM

If you’re going to shoot game 800 yards away you don’t need camo.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:50 PM

I can get within 20 yards at times wearing this stuff.
Cat
Old 07-13-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Who here said that?

All who spoke up 're wearing higher end camo chuckles. What's the difference between it and a $6k rifle with a $4k scope? Are either really necessary for achieving big game success chuck? If so please enlighten me k?
Old 07-13-2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I can get within 20 yards at times wearing this stuff.
Cat

We probably bought our outerwear at the same location.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:29 PM

An older family friend once commented to me how interesting it is that every sport, hobby and the like had various "costumes". Now everywhere I go I see costumes. Bikers(both motorized and not), hunters, golfers etc. Kinda puts alot of the marketing wank into perspective.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan84 View Post
An older family friend once commented to me how interesting it is that every sport, hobby and the like had various "costumes". Now everywhere I go I see costumes. Bikers(both motorized and not), hunters, golfers etc. Kinda puts alot of the marketing wank into perspective.
And camo seems to have become fashionable with people that aren't even hunting, some of whom aren't even hunters. I purchase clothing based on being warm and waterproof and comfortable, but often that clothing is only available in camo colors. What I don't do, is pay a great deal more to purchase special camo patterns or scent lock clothing. And I won't pay hundreds or thousands more to purchase a rifle or scope just because it appears on a long range hunting show.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 07-14-2020 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
All who spoke up 're wearing higher end camo chuckles. What's the difference between it and a $6k rifle with a $4k scope? Are either really necessary for achieving big game success chuck? If so please enlighten me k?
Yea, nobody here said you needed a $10,000 rifle setup to hunt.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-14-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
My son’s camo. He’s colour blind so doesn’t know the difference. And so is the bear.

A stone glacier hat, that's considered high end to some.