Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-21-2020, 10:24 AM

Default E bike hunting

Anyone been doing any Ebike hunting. I’m looking for a bike and was seeing that hunting specific bikes are now available, guys are hauling out entire elk in one go on them in a trailer pretty crazy.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:29 AM
Banned

Looked at some the other day
$7k ish for the good ones, ouch
Old 06-21-2020, 10:39 AM

Waiting for my Quietkat WARRIOR 1000 now, ordered it a month ago should be here anytime also got the 2 wheeled game trailer to pull behind it.With a few options added in cost me about $6000. This will save a lot of work getting game out for sure not to mention getting back farther much easier and faster. Where i hunt we cannot use quads to retrieve anymore and seems like all the elk are always a couple miles or more in.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer132 View Post
Waiting for my Quietkat WARRIOR 1000 now, ordered it a month ago should be here anytime also got the 2 wheeled game trailer to pull behind it.With a few options added in cost me about $6000. This will save a lot of work getting game out for sure not to mention getting back farther much easier and faster. Where i hunt we cannot use quads to retrieve anymore and seems like all the elk are always a couple miles or more in.
But if you look at the laws, your not allows to take that 1000w either
Old 06-21-2020, 10:42 AM

The price tags on these are crazy. But I can seen how they would be quite useful and quite controversial with the horse guys.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
But if you look at the laws, your not allows to take that 1000w either
Yeah I'm not sure either if you can't use a quad I'm guessing you can't use these a lot of money

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Yeah I'm not sure either if you can't use a quad I'm guessing you can't use these a lot of money

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I don’t believe they are classed as OHV’s and can be used.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:53 AM

Edmonton mayor cannot even find money$$ to cut cities grass but found $700 to help people buy green bike. It will be a bigger job hauling that Toy out of the muskeg than the elk.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:08 AM

I’ve hummed & hawed a couple times regarding buying one and just can not justify spending that kind of money. I would realistically use it < 5 times per year, which is $1000 per day.

I can rent on for $50 per day in Calgary and just be done with it once I’ve used it.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
They have to be under 500w and a bunch of other stipulations
Old 06-21-2020, 11:39 AM
Banned

Dont get me wrong, I think they are awesome!
But the laws that the ndp put in regarding ebikes is stupid
Old 06-21-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
You are incorrect about that. They are specifically precluded in some areas, and by definition of those with 1000 watt, or anything above 500W, and those with separatte throttle that go without pedaling not being street legal they can be classed OHV in most other areass. You need to check the regs closely for where you want to use them.

I did a lot of research when I bought my current ebike. ended up buying just a City bike 500W because of all the controls using them for hunting.

Last edited by Dean2; 06-21-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:45 PM

If your on private land you can have any size you want.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer132 View Post
If your on private land you can have any size you want.
True, but if you are on private land why not just use a Quad for recovery since there are no morning use or other regs on private land.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:58 PM

Read my post again and you will get the answer
Old 06-21-2020, 01:07 PM

I read quite well and I saw the part about where you hunt no longer being able to use Quads. However, your other post didn't say you were on private land. There are lots of places where we used to be able to use quads for recovery, that we no longer can and are not on private land. I really don't understand a land owner that would not allow quads for recovery but is fine with a bike; but if that is the situation you are dealing with then a guy has to do what a guy has to do. Like I said however, just be damn careful off the private land, the rules are really quite complicated and in general anything over 500W is not usable.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:47 PM
Banned

They can’t be used in provincial parks and a lot of grazing leases aren’t allowing the use of ebikes as well!
Old 06-21-2020, 02:23 PM

So many nay sayers. Has anyone who has actually used one have any thoughts to share. I was in fish creek provincial park today and about 1/3 the bikes on the trails are e bikes was in brag creek 3 weeks ago same story. People are just using them everywhere And don’t care.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
So many nay sayers. Has anyone who has actually used one have any thoughts to share. I was in fish creek provincial park today and about 1/3 the bikes on the trails are e bikes was in brag creek 3 weeks ago same story. People are just using them everywhere And don’t care.
I think the rules regarding ebikes should be changed so that they can be used more. Cap it at 1000w bikes not 500w
Old 06-21-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I think the rules regarding ebikes should be changed so that they can be used more. Cap it at 1000w bikes not 500w
I agree this law is from 2009 and was put in when the bikes where first coming out they likely knee jerk laws and need to be revisited.

for some of the guys that are interested there are these gems of laws to look at

Definition according to: USE OF HIGHWAY AND RULES OF THE ROAD REGULATION 1(1)(o) “power bicycle” means a vehicle that is a power-assisted bicycle under the Motor
Vehicle Safety Regulations (Canada) (C.R.C., c. 1038);
Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (Canada) (C.R.C., c. 1038): Interpretation 2.(1)
"power-assisted bicycle" means a vehicle that:
(a) has steering handlebars and is equipped with pedals,
(b) is designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, (c) is capable of being propelled by muscular power,
(d) has one or more electric motors that have, singly or in combination, the following
characteristics:
(i) it has a total continuous power output rating, measured at the shaft of each motor,
of 500 W or less,

(ii) if it is engaged by the use of muscular power, power assistance immediately ceases
when the muscular power ceases,
(iii) if it is engaged by the use of an accelerator controller, power assistance
immediately ceases when the brakes are applied, and
(iv) it is incapable of providing further assistance when the bicycle attains a speed of
32 km/h on level ground,

(e) bears a label that is permanently affixed by the manufacturer and appears in a
conspicuous location stating, in both official languages, that the vehicle is a power-
assisted bicycle as defined in this subsection, and (f) has one of the following safety features,
(i) an enabling mechanism to turn the electric motor on and off that is separate from the accelerator controller and fitted in such a manner that it is operable by the driver, or
(ii) a mechanism that prevents the motor from being engaged before the bicycle attains a speed of 3 km/h;

REF; http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...klet_final.pdf

E bike also don’t meet the definition of ohv. They meet the definition of power bicycles.

Last edited by Dubious; 06-21-2020 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Don’t get caught riding your bike in the castle provincial park, I guarantee you will be getting a ticket. I know the sandstone grazing lease and the pinhorn grazing lease you will get a ticket as well, that’s just to name a few.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Don’t get caught riding your bike in the castle provincial park, I guarantee you will be getting a ticket. I know the sandstone grazing lease and the pinhorn grazing lease you will get a ticket as well, that’s just to name a few.
You can ride e bikes on ohv trails there
Old 06-22-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
You can ride e bikes on ohv trails there
There are not any quad trails within the Castle Park only in the Wildland Park.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:13 PM

Ebikes only allowed in areas where OHVs are allowed. So useless. GOV sure was quick on this one, as there were many sheep hunters thinking hmmmm.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknormal View Post
There are not any quad trails within the Castle Park only in the Wildland Park.
And limited to basically one area. So every fat ass American is in there with their outfitter.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Nice!, you come on here asking for advice, then those of us that have researched this, actually own Ebikes give you top quality info and what the limitations for use are in Alberta and you basically tell us we are full of poo. Fine, do whatever the hell you like and quit asking us for info that you just dismiss and ignore when you don't like the answer.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Nice!, you come on here asking for advice, then those of us that have researched this, actually own Ebikes give you top quality info and what the limitations for use are in Alberta and you basically tell us we are full of poo. Fine, do whatever the hell you like and quit asking us for info that you just dismiss and ignore when you don't like the answer.
Relax Deano. He asked about guys who hunt with them. Not researched them and bought a city cruiser.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Anyone been doing any Ebike hunting.
Pretty sure no one is hunting in FISH CREEK PARK.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Relax Deano. He asked about guys who hunt with them. Not researched them and bought a city cruiser.
I was using Mountain Bikes to hunt and recover game in Cypress Hills and other no Quad areas 30 years ago. If I could have figured out how to use an Ebike legally here in Alberta I would not have just bought a city cruiser. That is precisely my point. With the way the laws are in Alberta right now Ebike hunting, outside of using the 500W versions that must be pedaled for assist, no throttle versions allowed, it is not viable to use one unless you are on private land. If a guy wants to spend 7,000 bucks for a true heavy duty off road version and take his chances, have at her.

I can say, Ebikes make going up steep hills and pulling a trailer with a load in it way easier than using a regular bike. Not form experience hunting but from using an Ebike on city trails and paved roads/pathways and comparing it to using my old mountain bike on the same trails.

Last edited by Dean2; 06-22-2020 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Top quality info? There a lot of top quality misinformation in some of these posts. Look dean I appreciate peoples help and maybe if you could have lead with your last comment rather than having a fit and just saying I’ve done research this thread could have turned out better.

Winefredcommander no they don’t but it is a provincial park and you are allowed to ride e bikes there contrary the the comments of them being banned in all parks.

Thanks for the useful information from some of you. The rest need to lear to just scroll by and not comment.