Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-06-2016, 06:30 PM

Can i pick up those diaichi hooks at whole sale sports in calgary? Gunna tie some up tomorrow.....

Tnx

Happy
Old 12-06-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post

J&7 … tks for posting …. that’s a solid knot for a tandem W/W rig … trust you got that monster buck & are sharpening every hook in the tackle box, looking forward to catchin up.

Z-z

Zip...I am also very curious on those glow beads. I am looking forward to making the trip up north as soon as possible!!! The hunting stuff is put away and fishing gear is getting ready as we speak! Please let me know as soon as you think it is safe...I will make the trip!

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 12-19-2016, 03:59 PM

Had a good day on Gull yesterday, decided to make a few spares of a hot W/W pattern that really produced. We moved a number of times but stayed in 5 - 7 FOW, it was cloudy out and so was the water clarity, perhaps it was Red colored wire or maybe the green “Glow” bead that triggered both the Perch & Whites to either bump it or come straight in and inhale them.

Tied two W/W on one line/rod, my preference is still the Double Trilene knot, this time I had my W/W’s tied with the hook facing up like Snap mentioned, I believe it made a difference in the hook set as all were in the upper mouth. As well, had to make some adjustments on the ice, my pre-tied W/W’s were about 12” apart, found that was too far and re-tied them to approx. 8” apart, that kept both W/W’s in the strike zone. Also changed them up a bit and made them with the glow bead near the hook, going back to see if these produce, too.

The pics should help …. if you make your own give this pattern a try.

Z-z

Deadly tipped with a Pink Mag!

Made a few Spares & moved the Glow Bead.

Recommended W/W set-up in shallow water.

Good fishin ....

Old 12-19-2016, 04:25 PM

Stupid question here, but are wire worms primarily a whitefish thing? I'm assuming they would work on other species such as trout, but no one I know uses them for trout.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Stupid question here, but are wire worms primarily a whitefish thing? I'm assuming they would work on other species such as trout, but no one I know uses them for trout.

I've tried some of my custom creations on Birch from Brookies & R-Bows, with limited success ....

I just started making them a few years ago and have caught more Whites on W/W's than any other presentation. Tipped with a Pink Mag, they work for Perch, too.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:42 PM

Default where to find the glow beads in edmonton ?

and the red wire ?

thx
Old 12-19-2016, 07:04 PM

What's your presentation technique? Light jigging?
Old 12-19-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endeavor View Post
and the red wire ?

thx

I believe I found the Glow Beads a few years ago at the Fishin Hole. The Red Wire (20 ga.) is from Michael's the craft store, however, TFH & other Fly Fishin shops normally carry different colored brass or red wire.

Link .... http://www.michaels.com/bead-landing...5402_color=Red

Trust this helps ....

Old 12-19-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
What's your presentation technique? Light jigging?

We sight fish them in 6 fow or less. What works .... is raise your rod-W/W's about 2-3 feet or to the ceiling of your tent and let them fall slowly, that gets Mr. White's attention and it will normally come in on the fall and either circle or inhale or sometimes just bump it when the W/W stops ... that's were a twitch or two gets them to commit, if not repeat. I was using bait as we were looking for Perch but a bunch of Whites that were cruising the area, about 2-3 feet off the bottom kept us busy the other day.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:

I believe I found the Glow Beads a few years ago at the Fishin Hole. The Red Wire (20 ga.) is from Michael's the craft store, however, TFH & other Fly Fishin shops normally carry different colored brass or red wire.

Link .... http://www.michaels.com/bead-landing...5402_color=Red

Trust this helps ....

The above link didn't work .... try this one.

http://canada.michaels.com/on/demand...10105404&cgid=

Old 12-19-2016, 11:18 PM

I just went on a shopping spree here:

http://www.supertackle.ca/PAGE08.html

These guys carry some very cool stuff. Also bought some of those amazing needle fish for some West coast fishing.

Zip, I've been inspired, thanks!
Old 12-20-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I just went on a shopping spree here:

http://www.supertackle.ca/PAGE08.html

These guys carry some very cool stuff. Also bought some of those amazing needle fish for some West coast fishing.

Zip, I've been inspired, thanks!
Snap, check out Hagens fishing supplies; bought lots of bulk hooks from there.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:33 PM

Zip, for how long do you fish one spot before moving to next ( if there is no fish) ?
Old 12-20-2016, 04:18 PM

I would assume that you are being as quiet as possible, but do you think bringing a dog along would kill my chances of catching any? She goes everywhere with me and I am ok with losing a few but might have to leave her at home for a day to go try whites if they are that spooky. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:48 PM

Default Awesome Z

Great post Z. Thanks for sharing your info and types of wireworms.

Fished Pigeon in the late 80's and early 90's when you could catch 10 whitefish a day easy.

Would use a spoon or kastmaster with a wireworm above 10 inches. If this did not work I would move to 7 feet or less and sight fish with my favorite wire worms over sand bars.

The fish were all below 2lbs at that time and would lay into the odd pike or walleye and would see lots of 2-4 inch perch around the WW which are gone now.

Went to Hanmore and the average was around 4lbs at that time. Lost more wireworms to 15+ lb pike which I could never find in a store again.

Gull was also hot in yellow, orange or red tipped with a maggot in the 90's.

Lost my passion for whites after trying Lac St. Anne the last 5 years and can't attract many. 3-4 a day on wireworms but get a few on big silver spoons. These are the big guys around 5lbs.

Never tried Sylvan ice fishing but want to try it this year.

Will try some of your techniques and patterns. Also looking forward to bring some of my vintage colors that I can't buy in a store back to life and trying them out.

Thanks again!! These are fun fish to catch. I love the guys that come out of no where and just hammer the WW the first time. Also love the guys that circle 3 to 5 times and you can entice them to bite.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishunter77 View Post
Never tried Sylvan ice fishing but want to try it this year.
Sounds like you will really like it based on your comments. It fishes, sounds like, how Pigeon used to fish. You will rarely get one over 2 lbs, but, I rarely miss my limit of 5 and I'm usually have them in 2 hrs or less...sometimes much, much less
If I ever need to give my whitefish ego a boost, I go to Sylvan and leave smiling.

Cheers!
Old 12-21-2016, 12:00 PM

Smile wire worms

Thanks for the great posts and pictures. I will have to try and tie some this year.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Sounds like you will really like it based on your comments. It fishes, sounds like, how Pigeon used to fish. You will rarely get one over 2 lbs, but, I rarely miss my limit of 5 and I'm usually have them in 2 hrs or less...sometimes much, much less
If I ever need to give my whitefish ego a boost, I go to Sylvan and leave smiling.

Cheers!
Sounds like a good trip. Will a give a try in the next few weeks.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:39 AM

just curious about the reason there are not very much whites left at pigeon, lac ste and those usually have lots. Is it related with government stocking program?
Old 12-23-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post
For those asking on what knot to use to tie two w/w on as Zip has shown...here is the knot I use...super simple:

https://youtu.be/4G-autx-iXA

Just always remember to start by feeding the line thru the hook eye from the right direction or else you will have the hook on upside down.

Zip...hope I can meet up with you this season as soon as some good ice gets here!!!
Just tried tying a hook on as per the video. Way easier! Thanks for posting!!!!
Old 12-23-2016, 10:50 PM

For those of you who make your own W/W's & have been following this thread, the 3 patterns shown in the pics have consistently caught me a number of Gull Lake Whites over the past three outings .... something worth considering/making.

D.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:27 AM
Banned

Very fine collection of WW's. I did notice that there were no Pink one's. Fellow I fish with swears by pink ww's for Whitefish.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Very fine collection of WW's. I did notice that there were no Pink one's. Fellow I fish with swears by pink ww's for Whitefish.
Ninja ... I've tried some store bought pink with no success. Haven't found any pink wire otherwise I would consider making a few different patterns, guess some model paint may work. I'm going to have a look if the Sportsman Den in Red Deer has any, they sell a variety of colors and patterns.

That's a good Q for others here who make their own ... has Pink worked for you & have you found a source for "Pink" wire ?

Tks

D.

Old 12-24-2016, 03:48 PM

Zip....I bought size 10 2x dry fly hooks......in a above pic I thought that's what u used? Do u use dry or nymph hooks?

Tnx

Happy
Old 12-24-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Ninja ... I've tried some store bought pink with no success. Haven't found any pink wire otherwise I would consider making a few different patterns, guess some model paint may work. I'm going to have a look if the Sportsman Den in Red Deer has any, they sell a variety of colors and patterns.

That's a good Q for others here who make their own ... has Pink worked for you & have you found a source for "Pink" wire ?

Tks

D.

Yes it has worked well for me at times! Some days they love it and some days they don't! The best place I've found the wire was at Homedepot they sell telephone cable and when you open it up there is all sorts of colours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2016, 09:23 PM

2heavy.3long size 10
hook

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2017, 10:34 AM

Default Nice WW

Thanks for the post, it's very informative and you do great work tying those great wire worms!!
Old 01-10-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:

Forgot to mention, it's extremely important that you tie your w/w's on so they sit on a horizontal flat line, that will make the difference between catching a white vs sitting there and wondering why they won't hit it.

As previously mentioned I fish two w/w on each rod, tied approx. 10" apart, normally set-up about 1 foot off the bottom.

Z-z

I've seen this picture from somewhere.........
Old 11-12-2017, 04:25 PM

Just reviving this thread! What are some good colours to start trying for white and perch? thanks
Old 11-12-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Just reviving this thread! What are some good colours to start trying for white and perch? thanks
Copper or Brass have been fairly consistent colors. Canadian Tire has 20 gauge brass wire that works great. Sold as hare snare wire.

It is good to wrap a couple WWs in each color. Yellow to black. Can make the body and head different colors too. Then experiment on site fishing. Depending on if it is sunny or overcast could influence the color choice. A few different sized WWs are good too. Early in the season the smaller wire worms. Later in the season the bigger ones. Size 10 (smallest) to size 6 hooks. Size 8 being most common I use.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets