Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-25-2008, 10:06 PM

Default waterhen

fished friday, saturday sunday and half of monday on waterhen lake in northern saskatchewan --- nice to go home ---- went with iversong and sask rider and about 7 other people fishing, and we caught a few nice jacks one 18 lbs, two 15 lbs, one 13 lbs, two 12 lbs, one 11 lbs, four or five 9 - 10 lbs, three or for 8 lbs and lots of smaller ones. kept a few small ones one eight and one 9.5 was to damaged to put back i'll catch all the rest again next year. great trip, had lots of fun, lost a lot of card games and enjoyed some great weather. pics are of two eights on the last day and a twelve and Taylor with grandpa. i remembered my camera only for two half days. the other guys have pics of most of the other fish, should be on here soon. It was also a momentous occasion, my daughters first fishing trip. She came out for a few hours to try out my new shack, but she never caught much. should i buy her a scooby doo or a shrek fishing rod?

Last edited by FishHound; 04-29-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:14 PM

WATERHEN get out hahaha my buddy is an outfiitter on that lake, he guides for fishing and hunting, be damned if i could remember the name of his lodge though. My dad and a few buddys went out there a few years ago for open water, caught alot of fish but none of significant size, except one 200lb sucker oh wait that was my dad when he drove a hook into his thumb

Looks and sounds like you guys had a great time out there and caught some really nice pike. Congrats

AKA MAVERICK
Old 03-26-2008, 09:29 AM

Good stuff. Gotta love those Saskatchewan lakes

That fellow in the first picture looks awful..............familiar lol. Tell scott that potch says "howdy".
Old 03-26-2008, 09:12 PM

Did you stay at tawa or m+n cabins. Was there many people there as a rule the last 2 weeks of the seasons there are lots of people there and a lot of them are from medstead and glaslyn which is were i am from. we usullay fish at the river mouth or just off the drop off at the old provincal camp ground over by the reserve. my biggest is 31 pounds and a couple of friends have caught 35 and 33 pounders so i known the big ones are there.

desiel
Old 03-26-2008, 10:17 PM

deisel -- we stayed at tawaw, normally we stay at m&n but they told us they weren't going to be open for thewinter season anymore and there were people staying in the cabins while we where there. caught lots at the mouth and accross from the reserve and in front of the cabins we usually catch more fish but lots of small ones-- one of the twelves was from there and all the rest of the bigger ones were from the mouth. do you fish there much in the summer. i have tried a couple of times in the fall and have trouble finding the big ones.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:37 PM

in the summer we fished just out from the boat launch were the drop off is and caught over 100 8-14 inch perch in about 3 hours. If the water is high enough we also head into little waterhen early in the season and can do a little top water action. if you go left and head down the lake to the first weed bed past the cabins there is a hole there beside a hump that we have caught a few walleye at but its hard to find and is hit and miss at best. my dad and albert like to troll to the right along the shore on the way to the river mouth and have a lot of luck. they say they are going to the river but never make it because they catch all they want before they get there. dad always asks why i have to travel all over the lake to fish when he can catch lots at the cabins lol. is ken still running tawa or did he get it sold last year?

desiel
Old 03-27-2008, 10:12 PM

i've always got to go to the far end of the lake myself -- I've got an old narrow 16' fiberglass boat and I've been cought down by the reserve twice when the wind picked up violently. atleast four foot waves. Don't know who is running it now, but I was told it was sold 1 1/2 to 2 years ago. I didn't make any of the arrangements.