Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-28-2008, 09:25 AM

Default Baitcasting reel/rod

Does anybody have advice on a good baitcasting reel and rod?

Im looking at upgrading but it seems there are so many choices.

Price isnt a huge factor, I am willing to pay for quality, and I am looking for a good deal at the fishin hole sale.

any advice or things I should look for!

Thanks for the help
Old 03-28-2008, 09:47 AM

I just put together a baitcasting combo a few weeks ago.

I bought the Abu Garcia Revo S reel and paired it with a heavy action, 7' Quantum Catalyst rod. I paid about $185 for the combo at the Fishing Centre in Edmonton.

I'm not sure what species you are targeting, but I chose the heavy rod for mainly Pike fishing. I put 15lb Berkely Big game white braided line on it and it so far works awesome.

I've caught about a half dozen Pike at Wabamun from the boat in the last couple weeks in the 15-19lb range and I absolutely love the rod and reel so far. Between the heavier line and the heavy rod, you can muscle those big ones in really quick. And the reel casts very nice.

here is a pic.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:08 AM

mostly walleye is what I target,

I owuld like to go with a reel/rod that would be suitable for walleye and pike.

Thanks for the help
Old 03-28-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis_rak View Post
I just put together a baitcasting combo a few weeks ago.

I bought the Abu Garcia Revo S reel and paired it with a heavy action, 7' Quantum Catalyst rod. I paid about $185 for the combo at the Fishing Centre in Edmonton.

I'm not sure what species you are targeting, but I chose the heavy rod for mainly Pike fishing. I put 15lb Berkely Big game white braided line on it and it so far works awesome.

I've caught about a half dozen Pike at Wabamun from the boat in the last couple weeks in the 15-19lb range and I absolutely love the rod and reel so far. Between the heavier line and the heavy rod, you can muscle those big ones in really quick. And the reel casts very nice.

here is a pic.
I bought the same one from Bass Pro shop last spring. I love it, very easy to use and works great. I use the power pro on it and have no conplaints about it at all.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:36 AM

Default A Good Buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaded View Post

Thanks for the help
Spaded ..I think the outfit shown would be an excellent choice however you can always go with a lighter rod with the reel. I have a Abu Garcia reel that I paired with a 10 1/2 foot Shimano Convergence rod for Steelhead and have used the reel on a smaller rod for Pike it is an excellent reel. I have had mine for 15 years without any problems.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:41 AM

if you want to pay $$$ , Quantum Pt Tour B/C, and a Quantum Pt rod or Quantum PT Signature Series rod in an action/length to suit your needs
Old 03-28-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the help
IMO Level wind (Baitcast) rod/real combos are "specialty tools" in a fisherpersons arsonal....

With that in mind....what are your primary uses going to be? I realize your going to be fishing for pike and walleye....

But are you looking for a casting rod, crank bait rod, spinner rigging rod.....

Or are you looking for a "all around rod"?

Length and action play a big role in my rod choice depending on my primary uses....

Use and line type play a big role in my reel choice....

For something "all around" I would look at a 7' rod, with good backbone, but a bit of "whip" in the tip....match the action to the line you'll be using...

For a reel...if your casting and trolling....look for a reel with good free spool control...something that fits nice in your hand and isn't too heavy....

For me, my casting rods...I try and find a reel with a left hand handle (GOOD LUCK, not many out there) because I hold the rod in my right hand to cast and would prefer not to switch hands when I wind in....

For my trolling rods...a right hand handle is just fine....

In terms of manufacturer...they all make great equipment....find one you like it the right price range....and you'll be happy....
Old 03-28-2008, 12:06 PM

ill tell you anything quantum ,or anything shamano. with a good rod set up , stiff but not to stiff and put 20 pound braided fire line on it . If your in edm go check out the fishing holes sale there having at the mayfield trade centre this weekend.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Gone Hunting

Ive been using a 1 piece St Croix avid casting 6'6 MH for my primary pike rod for afew years now. Its an awesome rod. I matched up the Avid casting ac 250 reel on her and its just a great unit. Ive been using this combo to both cast and troll cranks, jerks etc to both walley and pike. It has been a real solid unit. It would be an awesome throw-back-bait rod for pike if i could have it my way..... Id like another one, but wifey wont let me.... If i did though, id get a hair longer rod and the AC 300 for trolling the bigger baits.
Some awesome stuff being mentioned here, boy would i love a shopping trip too!!

keep a strain on er.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:30 PM

Once you make your mind up on your reel, if you choose to put a fire line or power pro or any line like these don't forget to start with a mono line first then use a uni knot to tie to the briaded line. I did not do this the first time and I had nothing but problems. I inquired about this and this is what I was told.

Everyone probably knows this already but does not hurt to mention it again.

Here is a link on how to tie the knots.

http://www.powerpro.com/using/uniuni.asp
Old 03-28-2008, 12:40 PM

Im running straight braided on one and 30 lb vanish line on the other, have had zero problem the reel likes to tangle up once in a while , but just gotta find where it loops and pull out that line reel her back up and toss out another line.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABwhitetail View Post
IMO Level wind (Baitcast) rod/real combos are "specialty tools" in a fisherpersons arsonal....

With that in mind....what are your primary uses going to be? I realize your going to be fishing for pike and walleye....

But are you looking for a casting rod, crank bait rod, spinner rigging rod.....

Or are you looking for a "all around rod"?

Length and action play a big role in my rod choice depending on my primary uses....

Use and line type play a big role in my reel choice....

For something "all around" I would look at a 7' rod, with good backbone, but a bit of "whip" in the tip....match the action to the line you'll be using...

For a reel...if your casting and trolling....look for a reel with good free spool control...something that fits nice in your hand and isn't too heavy....

For me, my casting rods...I try and find a reel with a left hand handle (GOOD LUCK, not many out there) because I hold the rod in my right hand to cast and would prefer not to switch hands when I wind in....

For my trolling rods...a right hand handle is just fine....

In terms of manufacturer...they all make great equipment....find one you like it the right price range....and you'll be happy....
Thanks for all of the input!!! alot of help, from all of you knowledgeable folks!

I am looking for a casting rod, casting jigheads, with trolling in mind as well.
so I would assume a all around rod more than anything.

I was at the fishing hole sale, I found Diawa to be a good fit/feel, but again I dont have alot of experince and you folks are quite helpful.

Thanks again for all of the help!
Old 03-28-2008, 01:04 PM

Interesting, When i put fireline on for the first time the first few cast it would not spool on the reel properly. and sometimes would not even retreive. the spool would spin inside the line, it was weird. As soon as i put the little bit on mono on first then the fire line i never had a problem again.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:14 PM

I bought the reel at the fishing hole and they spooled it for me as when they do it that line goes on tighter then if you were to do it with the spool and pencil.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all of the input!!! alot of help, from all of you knowledgeable folks!

I am looking for a casting rod, casting jigheads, with trolling in mind as well.
so I would assume a all around rod more than anything.

I was at the fishing hole sale, I found Diawa to be a good fit/feel, but again I dont have alot of experince and you folks are quite helpful.

Thanks again for all of the help!
Personally I like a stiff rod for most of my trolling applications....when I spinner rig...I like long rods...because of the length of leader (mono) I use sometimes....

For casting, I like a good back bone, but with a bit of a softer tip...with bait casting set-ups you rely a lot on the weight of the lure to cast....if it is a lighter lure, that "whippyness" helps get that hook out there.....but careful....a good whip of the wrist requires good thumb control on your cast....

Unless I am fishing super heavy jigs in moving or deep water right under the boat...I tend to use my spinning gear (for walleye)....more of a finesse type presentation...therefor finesse type gear....

Going the the Fishin' hole show was a GREAT move...talk to all those reps....they are a huge help....
Old 03-28-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck0039 View Post
Interesting, When i put fireline on for the first time the first few cast it would not spool on the reel properly. and sometimes would not even retreive. the spool would spin inside the line, it was weird. As soon as i put the little bit on mono on first then the fire line i never had a problem again.
If the right knot is not used at the initial spooling, and not wrapped tight....you can have this problem...a bit a mono solves it fore-sure....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
I bought the reel at the fishing hole and they spooled it for me as when they do it that line goes on tighter then if you were to do it with the spool and pencil.
having it done this way will usually eliminate the need for mono.....unless you completely spool out your reel for some strange reason.....
Old 03-28-2008, 01:28 PM

Going to the show definetly helped!

the only concern I had was it was busy and alot of the reps/salesman, dint have time to be bothered by all of my questions.

Understandable as it seems I am way over my head, and not quite exactly sure what I am after anyways.

The shimano guy was good, but the Diawa fellow was very helpful.
so that is the way I am leaning, but who knows.

thanks for the help.

Any body use that red cajan line?
Old 03-28-2008, 03:01 PM

All my ice rods have it its very tuff stuff even though its mono line its very abrasion resistant , Im thinking im ganna spool it on one of my spin cast reels to give it a shot , its great stuff and it holds the knot very well , but as of all line where you tie your knot wet the line as your tightining your knot makes for a tighter knot that wont slip. Worst thing is catching a lunker and having your knot fail.