Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-15-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Or better aim... JK, this at least makes sense and is a valid argument. For me I really like the idea that some depressed kid can't just go grab dad's gun and go into a theatre/school/mall and start shooting it up without needing to reload in 5 shots. That time he takes to reload may be all the time someone needs to tackle him, and stop any more violence.
Just to prove how absurd your(RCMP)argument is...I can legally discharge 120, 30 caliber rounds downrange in five seconds or less.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
And can you tell me why we need high capacity mags?

Theres absolutely no need for the average citizen to have high capacity mags. If your at the range it takes two seconds to reload, if your hunting you can only use 5 shots anyways, and if your a collector the reduced mag shouldn't matter.

If you want to use prohibited weapons join the Reserves or CAF. JMO
Ever been charged by a pack of wolves in the middle of no-where or checked out by a couple LARGE male Grizzlies?

That's why it should be legal.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
And what facts have I been wrong with? I never said the Mini 14 was full auto, but it did have a high mag in the Ecole Polytechnique shooting. I said I wasn't sure if the rifle used in Mayerthorpe was full auto, but I was sure it was prohibited. How about instead of insulting me you bring something to the argument to why you think rifles that can be easily modified to full auto and have easily modified high capacity magazines should be kept off the prohibited list.
Look, where there's a will there's a way. Are they going to ban machinists because they have the skills to make any firearm in full auto? Sorry raab. Gun laws and regulations only affect law abiding citizens.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I agree, our background checks and waiting period I'm sure have helped reduce gun violence here.
How did that help the victims of eco polytechnique?? Not at all. The Gun hysteria that followed cost Canadians 2.6 Billion $$$$$ and didn't do a damn thing, other than show the Political Lobbyist group of the RCMP how much money they can siphon out of public coffers in the name of "Safety".
Those $$ could have been put to a far better use, one that actually saves lives.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1960 View Post
Yeah, you did.
So I believe is now I state as fact? No I thought it was but couldn't remember.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaha Tinda View Post
Just to prove how absurd your(RCMP)argument is...I can legally discharge 120, 30 caliber rounds downrange in five seconds or less.
What type of rifle? Or is that handgun?

I just saw this thread was moved to the "Guns and ammo" section.
I think this belongs in general discussion, as this issue is about more than just guns.

Raab, you sure get a lot of people riled up whenever you post. Almost like you know it's going to get people worked up and can't stop yourself.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
What type of rifle? Or is that handgun?
It is an unmodified, legal hunting weapon.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:19 PM
Banned

raab, it's clear you are in favor of strong gun regulation. This is unfortunate. However, thankfully you are allowed to say what you want. The rest of us will continue to stand for each other and in support of sport shooting and hunting using whatever firearms we deem most appropriate for the event.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I just saw this thread was moved to the "Guns and ammo" section.
I think this belongs in general discussion, as this issue is about more than just guns.
Very good point!!
Old 01-15-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Nope. Mayerthorpe wasn't a full auto gun. (at least I couldn't find any reference, but if you have a link that would be great)

Gamil Gharbi killed those women because he was raised to hate women by a father that grew up in a culture that treated women as second class citizens. He would have killed 14 women if he had a kitchen knife, a bolt action rifle or a bomb. (maybe more)

Care to take a guess how many people were killed by the clock tower shooter using a remington 700? (more than 14) Need to ban those too?
I don't have time to research but I recall that the polytechnic shooter tried to convert his Mini 14 to full auto and screwed it up. In the end he had to manually cock the action after every shot so it functioned similar to a bolt action in the end anyways. Hope someone else may have something more concrete on this.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalhunter View Post
Ever been charged by a pack of wolves in the middle of no-where or checked out by a couple LARGE male Grizzlies?

That's why it should be legal.
I've been in the middle of a pack of wolves. They didn't bother with me. For backcountry I'd feel a hell of a lot safer with a Shotgun that holds 5 rounds then a rifle holding 15-30. Id also like to see an open carry pemit available for those in the back country.

Quote:
Or better aim... JK, this at least makes sense and is a valid argument. For me I really like the idea that some depressed kid can't just go grab dad's gun and go into a theatre/school/mall and start shooting it up without needing to reload in 5 shots. That time he takes to reload may be all the time someone needs to tackle him, and stop any more violence.
Quote:
If your at the range it takes two seconds to reload,
So the argument is that you shouldn't need to have a magazine that holds more five rounds because it takes virtually no time to reload? Yet you are telling us that having to reload more often somehow makes a firearm less of a threat? You are arguing with yourself, and to top it off you are losing.

Quote:
I believe the Mayerthorpe incident involved a fully auto weapon.
Incorrect information.

Quote:
I said I wasn't sure if the rifle used in Mayerthorpe was full auto, but I was sure it was prohibited.
If it's already prohibited, how would more legislation change anything?

Quote:
I'm sure theres tons out there if we went and looked.
You haven't provided a single example where a civilian owned fully automatic, or semi auto converted to fully automatic rifle was used in a crime in Canada.

Quote:
I've been in the middle of a pack of wolves. They didn't bother with me.
And I carried an AR-15 in the truck, with a 20 round mag, for shooting coyotes for years, and no crimes were committed, and nobody was killed or injured.

I have never seen so many posts on one thread, by one individual, that are so devoid of both fact and reason.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 01-15-2016 at 05:29 PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
raab, it's clear you are in favor of strong gun regulation. This is unfortunate. However, thankfully you are allowed to say what you want. The rest of us will continue to stand for each other and in support of sport shooting and hunting using whatever firearms we deem most appropriate for the event.
Yup!
Old 01-15-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I've been in the middle of a pack of wolves. They didn't bother with me. For backcountry I'd feel a hell of a lot safer with a Shotgun that holds 5 rounds then a rifle holding 15-30. Id also like to see an open carry pemit available for those in the back country.
So since it didn't happen to you, I can't have the means to protect myself and improve my odds?

Typical.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaha Tinda View Post
It is an unmodified, legal hunting weapon.
So semi auto rifle I take it? Even still I find it hard to believe you can shoot 120 rounds 30 caliber ammunition in less then 5 seconds. It's pretty well impossible if you need to reload every 5 shots.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:25 PM

Economy is in the Tank, homeless people are multiplying, food banks lined up, many Canadians already struggling to scrape by.......And this is what comes out as top story on the CBC? Well, I guess the CBC received its cake from the new Lib govt, instead of putting that 1 billion a year into supporting Canadians in dire straits..... Ya, more gun control, think of the children....the lives that would, could, should, maybe.. be saved....
Old 01-15-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I guarantee you lose that sprint 99% of the time. By the time you realize he is reloading and stand up he is done and you can now breath out your chest.

That being with very little training. Tests with police have already debunked this theory.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
Economy is in the Tank, homeless people are multiplying, food banks lined up, many Canadians already struggling to scrape by.......And this is what comes out as top story on the CBC? Well, I guess the CBC received its cake from the new Lib govt, instead of putting that 1 billion a year into supporting Canadians in dire straits..... Ya, more gun control, think of the children....the lives that would, could, should, maybe.. be saved....
Yes, It's more humane to kill them by starvation (attrition) in masses, than it is to let them maybe on a small marginal chance one gets possibly killed by a gun...
Old 01-15-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalhunter View Post
So since it didn't happen to you, I can't have the means to protect myself and improve my odds?

Typical.
Where did I say that. Use a shotgun, as has been stated they're better for short range anyways. I'd take a shotgun with an 18" barrel over any rifle for Grizzly defence. Also I want to see open carry permits for hand guns issued. I feel that it would be beneficial to users of the backcountry to have the added protection. A high capacity mag would be more of a hindrance then help IME from hunting in the backcountry. To heavy, makes the gun less accurate, and reduced handling.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
You can bump fire an SKS. Like you said not exactly effective. Now if you could modify an SKS with just a little trigger work and drill out the pin they put in the magazines, I think it would be worth having a discussion on whether the average citizen needs this type of firearm in their possession.

I'm definitely not in support of confiscating guns for no reason, but from the sounds of the article they're looking mostly at new guns and pistols that have hit the market. As I said I'll reserve judgement until we see something happen.
You will not get full auto from an SKS with "Just a little trigger work" and who cares if you could belt feed the damned thing? It isn't the gun, it's the person holding it. Quit propagating lefty garbage, the goal of the anti gun lobby is to ban guns period.

Heard this first thing this morning. Felt sick all day. Got home, still feel sick. I can't believe this garbage

Quote:
So semi auto rifle I take it? Even still I find it hard to believe you can shoot 120 rounds 30 caliber ammunition in less then 5 seconds. It's pretty well impossible if you need to reload every 5 shots.
Well it doesn't look like an AR so I guess it is not as dangerous, otherwise the RCMP would be moving to ban it.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:34 PM
Banned

Back to the original issue, I don't think it is a good idea for the law making to be in the hands of the police. They are not elected.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat in the Cat View Post
I guarantee you lose that sprint 99% of the time. By the time you realize he is reloading and stand up he is done and you can now breath out your chest.

That being with very little training. Tests with police have already debunked this theory.

That's why you count, you know when he has to reload. Also how many mags is the perp gonna be able to buy? And carry? Let's say he buys 4 normal mags that gives him 20 shots. Buy 4 high capacity mags and he has 60-120.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:37 PM

@ Raab

You have missed the point. If you are a PAL or RPAL holder there is absolutely no need for the government or police force to wet nurse you to a safe and peaceful life.

More legislation does not mean more safety when it comes to law abiding firearms owners. It is criminality that should be the focus or concern regarding guns.

As responsible owners we know what we are doing, we are the most knowledgeable about what we do and it's idiots with points of view such as yours that allow the gradual decline of our pursuits whether hunting, target shooting, etc

Wake up
Old 01-15-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
You will not get full auto from an SKS with "Just a little trigger work" and who cares if you could belt feed the damned thing? It isn't the gun, it's the person holding it. Quit propagating lefty garbage, the goal of the anti gun lobby is to ban guns period.
I never said it did. That's why I imagine it will continue to be on the NR list.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Back to the original issue, I don't think it is a good idea for the law making to be in the hands of the police. They are not elected.
I agree with this, even wrote to the Liberal Party telling them not to allow it.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have never seen so many posts on one thread, by one individual, that are so devoid of both fact and reason.
X2. Yet so cemented in his convictions, must come with the frontal lobotomy that is Liberalism.

This is step one, wait until Trudeau signs the UN treaty on small arms with much fanfare, pomp & circumstance. Idiots.