Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-18-2017, 02:50 AM
Gone Hunting

I've owned my share of rifles and shot most cartridges.

I Own several .303s a 30 30 a 30-06 a 7.62x39 and miscellaneous smaller calibers. I even have a .284

Not a .284 diameter bullet, a Model 88 .284 chambered rifle.

Some argue that the .284 is superior to any 06, some people have never even held a .284

Numbers on paper do nothing downrange.
Just about any rifle has superior ballistics to an arrow shot from a bow, yet arrows continue to kill game every year.

I've seen a 30-06 bullet pass clear through a Moose and take down a second Moose. Does anyone really need a rifle that can drive a bullet clear through three Moose?

Not saying there is anything wrong with that. Go ahead and hunt with a .50 BMG if that cranks your tractor. Just don't tell me that my 06 is a dud.
It makes you look intellectually shortchanged.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-18-2017, 06:35 AM

Yuppers, well said.

Lots of calibers can getter done, so with good luck behind them, not so much for others. Ha. "Mostly too do with shot placement too the basement my pops says.

We were doing a shoot in the mountains many moons ago as one of the folks as what I had going that day, good old 308 with 150gr's I replied.

I could see that done-founded look on his face as we we're gearing up later that year for a Elk harvest.

He replied that that was not enough gun,,, I'm thinking now he ment bullet selection. Any-who,,, I said it will work just fine my friend.

All I need to do is put a round nose 180 gr'er up front as it will bring home any meat standing in front of me. LOL.

We all had a good chuckle since old tech slow bullets seem to deliver the mail,,, "so too speak of in a way."

6mm/243 up to the big dogs have done many of us good,,, its up too us too find the one we enjoy even if its for a limited or extend time.

I'm open to all calibers since they are fun too work with,,, game & critter harvests, paper too iron,,, and yes too tree sleeping.

Nothing more fun in my books knowing I found a good place a long a mountain top ridge as rhe rifle and I lean lightly against a tree waiting for the offering to mozzy along our way.

I always hope that I'm not fast asleep when it happens. LOL.

Thx again too all as we take on good times for the season ahead,,, that's what really counts as family and friends get to be part of this thrill.

Don
Old 05-22-2017, 01:01 PM

Time too step back too mid-stream optics in an attempt to find out if they cut the irons in silhouette targets.

Frugal optics for old school Odd-6. Not the $1000 to $1200 range,,, nor the $100 too $350 either.

My budget was set at $450 too $500 as I found what I was looking for in a field test of 80 shot days.

Plinking and iron.

I'm looking at it as just enough to getter done.

More too follow later tonight.

Don
Old 05-22-2017, 03:53 PM

Time has come too build up some over powered silhouette loads, and they will substitute for critter getting.

The weigh scale comes in a few times as I make a powder case scoop.
This one is 49 too 51gr's of IMR 4064 too launch 150gr bullets. Kinda like a 308 winchester load.

Quick and fast work as I'm more about quality then reloading quality. Ha.

Just enough too tag those 16" iron disks down range.
Just found this fast loader that's simple too work with.

Most fired will pass threw it since reduced charged loads lesson the chances of the brass needing work overs that hot loads cause,,, in a way that is.

Case trimming will take place at load 4 ish, wall thickness will get checked at same time.

This scoop loading is just like loading a black powder rifle, the powder level needs too be a bit more constant...
I'll choose a fill up case powder once I find a comfortable recoil too energy down field charge as I go along.

The next test after this is 150gr bullets all at the same lengths,,, but all brass cases will be different, and scoop and load charges too see if they will hit the iron gong at 275 too 300yards.

The best group out of 10 with 3 sets.

If the best out of 10 score is low, then its slower burn rate powder that fits the case with better volume if I can keep the ft-per second in the 2800 too 2850 range.

This gives the 150gr enough energy to take care of business out too 200+ yards.
And on iron rams beyond that.

The M77 with laminated stock is a beefy rifle, so tame charges Hardy shake it up. Pretty solid platform too work with.

Don
Old 05-24-2017, 06:49 PM

Got lucky today as I was referred too a custom gun builder that is a F Class shooter in his fun times.

He's in a gold mine of some pretty nice units as he works with in the National match across the Americas.

He makes every thing him self including barrels too actions as his skills have done him well.

He's offered apon my asking too get my frugal Ruger Mark II epoxy bedded and free floated, he likes the idea that my factory trigger will work awesome for silhouette shooting. Nothing like having no trigger creep once the 6 too 7 lb pull as it gets the show going.

Keep it simple and fun has been the program from day one.

The rifle shoots good, so this small take will add consistency of Western Canada's ever changing weather patterns.

Plan ahead for wizer things if the conditions change, at least a pressure point stock will never be an issue in any shoots I take on.

He tuned me in on some optic ideas as this new Monarch scope will get me up too speed at many different ranges.

At least the price was right.

It's in the low/ Mid ish range of costs.
The rifle and scope are matched in price, no breaking the bank account with my project either.

All season hot box is just about ready too fill in as reloading center central.

Comes with big back door and lifting roof.

$220 so far.

Don
Old 05-26-2017, 04:39 PM

Default 30-06

I have three 30-06 rifles as well as magnums; and, two of them are my kid's rifles. The 30-06 in a 180 grain bullet is plenty big for all ungulates one will come across and the recoil quite manageable. The bullet selection for this caliber is also quite exhaustive. And there is a certain beauty in the conventional wisdom that a person can be in a small hardware store in rural Western Canada and the two calibers that certain to find ammo are the 30-06 and the 270!
Old 05-28-2017, 07:23 PM

Yes, the top favs that were in my cabinet was the 22 rf, 6mm/243, 308, 270 replaced by the 300 Win & Weather, 338 win and a short duration 375 H&H.

I'm not really sure how my 30/06 got sold off, but it must of had something too do with cash. Ha.

My noodle was pretty busy this winter planning which rifle had too go, and who remained.

My mind told me too stay large, my body said go small.
My old 308 could of remained, but we never got the chance too become real good friends. It was one of those Remmy Tac models with mid weight barrels.
Good shooter as I bought it new,,, but the synthetic stock did not look right in my eyes.

My Remmy 300 Weatherby and 270 win both had beautiful wood grain stocks, they were my go too units,,, the 300 was my flag ship.

So too prevent any hard ships between the rifles I decided to clean house.
Except for the 22 rim and 12 gudage,,, then a very good friend let me try his Savage Mark II plinker as it is now my new unit as of last month... We traded 22 Rimfires more or less.

The 30/06 idea came about when another friend was cleaning out his cabinet last year,,, my mind went into double over time trying too fit it in between all the rifles I had.

Basically it put me in a tricky area between the 308 win and the 300 maggy.
The only thing that set this return too 30/06 into play was that laminated wood stock.
The caliber as well.

This meant that the cabinet needed a fresh start, and too become a cabinet of less.

I will loose in some areas of what the other rifles will do, but I'm sure if I put in the time and a small fraction of funds that I can get the unit up too speed.

I've done it before, so I'll do it again.
This will test my middle age skills too dial in a sporter Harvesting rifle in the mid budget line-up,,, rifle and optics that is.

I'm guessing that other folks run into change when change comes, it's not easy too do this either as it consumes our thoughts if we should even think of this path.

Had someone asked me 5 years ago if I would consider 1 target & Game rifle for my all,,, I'd a said no way man,,, it ain't going to happen...

Here I am today on that path. I know now that my 1 & 1/2 year plan is working out.

"I" will make it work since it has too, no going back now that it's the only unit in my arsenal too choose from.

Yes, I still get the strange feeling that I might be missing out on the other units, but I'll get over this once the rifle and I test our worth at the range of distance in all kinds of weather.

Don
Old 05-30-2017, 03:46 PM

Love this one, no real winner or losers lol, I as well have returned to the 06 from some bigger magnums and so far, no regrets, the rifle is lighter and shoots extremely well. RL-17 is awesome with 165 gr and 150 grain bullets. Currently using it at over 3100 FPS with Barnes X bullets in 150 grain. I also pounded out some 168 grainers x bullets at 2940 FPS, considering 100 percent weight retention its nothing to sneeze at. I wouldn't hesitate to take big game out to 400 + yards, recoil is nice, brass is cheap, its a winner.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dropper View Post
Love this one, no real winner or losers lol, I as well have returned to the 06 from some bigger magnums and so far, no regrets, the rifle is lighter and shoots extremely well. RL-17 is awesome with 165 gr and 150 grain bullets. Currently using it at over 3100 FPS with Barnes X bullets in 150 grain. I also pounded out some 168 grainers x bullets at 2940 FPS, considering 100 percent weight retention its nothing to sneeze at. I wouldn't hesitate to take big game out to 400 + yards, recoil is nice, brass is cheap, its a winner.
That pretty much says it right there. My path is similar to yours, Mind you I am using IMR 4198 and 4350 with just a simple Hornady 180gr flat base spitzer. Fantastic results on paper out to 300 yds.
I have a couple boxes of the 150gr TSX but the Hornady's are working too good, for now.
There's a lot of good info on Ballistic Studies.com
As well. Brass is everywhere, you can get a box of bullets pretty much anywhere too.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:56 AM

Unfortunately when ballistics are compared, generally the comparison is with a 180 grain bullet out of some dated catalog factory load and its not to potential. There are some nice factory loads out there especially the Hornady Superformance stuff, a 165 grain bullet @ 2940 fps still hits with 1500 foot pounds @ 500 yards, and maintains 1200 out to 600 yards and when zeroed 2.7 inches high @ 100 yards its only down 16 inches @ 400 yards. When we start talking how flat something shoots most folks cant hold 3 inches up or down @ 400 yards in a hunting situation, its immaterial, hunting is a whole nother game, its not benchrest shooting.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dropper View Post
Unfortunately when ballistics are compared, generally the comparison is with a 180 grain bullet out of some dated catalog factory load and its not to potential. There are some nice factory loads out there especially the Hornady Superformance stuff, a 165 grain bullet @ 2940 fps still hits with 1500 foot pounds @ 500 yards, and maintains 1200 out to 600 yards and when zeroed 2.7 inches high @ 100 yards its only down 16 inches @ 400 yards. When we start talking how flat something shoots most folks cant hold 3 inches up or down @ 400 yards in a hunting situation, its immaterial, hunting is a whole nother game, its not benchrest shooting.
And typical of factory loads, the factory claimed velocities are often not reached in most rifles. As well, the Superformance loads often don't shoot that accurately in many rifles. As such, I would never compare a cartridge based on the published velocity of a specific published load.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:43 PM

It's no trouble to get 3k fps from a 165 accubond and imr 4064 or Re22 with a 24" tube and book loads. With a 180 grain tsx and imr 4350 I get 2850 fps and a 200 grain accubond with RE22 will do 2730 fps over the screens.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
It's no trouble to get 3k fps from a 165 accubond and imr 4064 or Re22 with a 24" tube and book loads. With a 180 grain tsx and imr 4350 I get 2850 fps and a 200 grain accubond with RE22 will do 2730 fps over the screens.
awesome, love RL-22 with thhheavier bullets for sure. With quality handloads and select factory loads it really puts most of the smaller cals to shame.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:44 AM

All calibers and rifles are fun no matter what a person chooses.

My rifle is ready for picking up this week, I'm going too give that glass bedded stock a run for its money. Ha.

Hope I get rained on till my boots are full of water, then get cooked by the sun at 44c followed by a wind storm.

Nothing like topping of the day with a snow storm too boot.

This rifle is going too get 3 days of out door weather too find out how "consultant" it is form day to day of this.

My trick is too at least retain consistency across the board, best way I know how is too lesson chances that the rifle, stock, trigger along with the all,,, seems that the only kink in the mix will the shooter. Ha

Don
Old 06-02-2017, 07:37 PM

Just got my rifle back from builder as I got him to do the wedge fit glass bedding done, as an extra he change my trigger spring too 4 lbs.

First 10 shot group when down with out a hitch at 100 yards.

Second was about the same.

Not bad for uneven scoop loads.
Measured it out too 59 too 61 grain spread,,, trying too stay at the 60 gr middle grounds.

Chintzy way too reload, but this silhouette shooter can get away with this since I'm crappy at this stuff. Ha

And the new mid price middle ground optics is working ok so far, I'll see how it holds up after the 2000 mark.

The barrle and action bedding is a plus, along with the little bit lighter trigger spring.

Now it's dial in time coming up.

Tall target test is next, along with finding elevation zero for the 4 open mill dots.

Finding impact at 4 hash marks will take a few rounds.

Don
Old 06-02-2017, 09:11 PM

So here's the catch on the happenings.

The custom gun maker invited me too a class shot towmorow just outside of Calgary.

I've been too them before down in the states, so this will be a first for me up here in Canada, plus I get the opertunity too shoot 20 too 30 rounds down range at extend distances. LOL.

Using his rifle of course.

Robert is one awesome fellow as he knows his stuff, and he competes with the best of them across the Americas.
He's learned his trade well, and takes too hart.

Super nice guy in all aspects of the out-doors stuff.

He likes how I'm going about my rifle thing as we talked about addressing what we can as shooters, then work on our inner and outer skills too build up the consistency thing.

Some times doesn't cut it in his books as we know we can be wizer too many things we do in life, it reflects on us and others we bring into or along side of our own lives,,, that way we learn different things on the journey.

This seeing first hand will give me some ideas, and could in directly assist me in the path I'm on.

Everything crosses paths, so taking in what these folks do will help me find ways too step up my overall game plan going forward.

My other pal in the West let me have a run with his Big 50 Cal, but this mid bore of 308 or 223 class is way more relaxing and enjoyable as anyone can join in.

Different categories for different kinds of rifles as we fit into the bracket that best suits our funds.

I'll be in frugal class as my rifle is slowly seeing a transition with in the funds I allow.

It won't be the best, but it won't be the bargain basement stuff either.

I'll say the lower mid line is where I'll end up.

Don
Old 06-03-2017, 06:54 AM

Thunder on the Eastern Slopes of Alberta is soon too get underway. Its a chance too see some good quality shooters laying down tracks here at home,,, that's a good thing as its open house and a chance too see what drives these folks too competition.

Theres lots of folks on YouTube shooting a 1000 yards plus, but a question that some of us ask might be,,, how consistent are they at this. What's involved too get there in costs and mind set,,, and where do they draw the line in the sand on how far they push the limits.

The limits are endless since there is new stuff on the market too improve the package deal.

Of course this applies too our day to day stuff along with the Hobbies we choose.

I know where my line is, it will be nice too chat with these folks too see where they fit in on their own adventures along lifes path.

Lots of photos soon too follow as this is only a different way for me or others too get a grasp at finding a nitch at other things we can use in our own adventures if we choose that is.

Don
Old 06-03-2017, 07:15 AM
Banned

Have fun. Looks like a great day for a shoot.
I put together a bunch of 30-06 last night as well. 59.5 I4350 150 Sierra boat tail. Lakelander TAP 375 30-06. A nice old rifle that shoots great. But undesirable in 30-06? Perfect. I'll take it.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:04 PM

What a beautiful rifle Deer Hunter.

I like that there are a few that enjoy the spirit of the old school 30/06 as we share in common with many other calibers that are out there.

I got an eye opener today in F Class as its not as easy as it looks.

Today we got a chance too play the winds, water-lines in the Mirageses, and get on target from 400 meters too 800,,, the folks tomorrow have their work cut out for them as they are doing 4 sets at 900 metres.

Either you have all your ducks lined up and are taking in what mother nature throws at you,,, or the whole thing will fall apart.

I'll load some pictures in the next day or 2 of the happenings down here, big thanks too a new life long friend Robert for allowing me too use his own custom made F Class rifle for the 400 and 800 match.

First time I've ever done the points thing, and Robert's rifle put me in 3rd spot out of 7 that did the FTR class.

I'm pretty please with my abilities, and darn proud of those that give it their all.

The F Class,,, FTR is limited too 223 and 308.
Open class is everything other then that providing its not 50 BMG for Alberta,,, no muzzle breaks allowed.

Open class today had 6x47, 243, 7mm mag and a few other calibers in the mix.

The Alberta Nationals are coming up in a month, hope too catch it as top shooters across Canada and USA will be here,,, then the World's match for Robert and others will be in Ontario this summer.

7 years ago F Class was so so with the rifles they had back then, thanks too Robert for seeing areas that needed attention as he started making custom rifles spasific too this class.

Long, heavy, and sound rifles that can take a beating yet reach our there at that distance too get good scores well above the 80% + + on any given day.

Now that Robert is a Friend, it will allow me too up my game plan at the stuff I like plinking with.

Most of us pick the path that best suits our needs, but with a good mentor like the Roberts out there,,, it allows us a chance too get up too speed much faster.

All activities become fun when we are part of them,,, even if it's some middle age dude that wants to enjoy little peaces of it along the way.

Don
Old 06-04-2017, 06:42 PM

F Class shoot went down with out a hitch.
All there attended the range rules as we broke into groups.

Our group got too work the "butt" or target area.

Then we got too lay down tracks starting at 400m, another round in the "butt" before heading to the 800m mark,,, the 2 young fellows were scoring high, I had too step up my game plan if I was too gain any points too at least come in last place.

400m is a long ways, and 800m is were we find out if we have our ducks in a row.

This is the rifle Robert lent me,,, it's his national F match unit with a 33" Jewelry barrel made here in Alberta, the wood stock is Roberts design.
I'm glad he let me dry fire as his 4 Oz trigger is way smoother then my 4 lb one that's on my silhouette rifle. Ha

And yes, these targets are the size of a 1968 VW Bug.
Staying in side the 3 ring is tuff, getting a V-bar is a bonus,,, that's a Bulls Eye.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:11 PM

So the normal F Class is for 223 & 308 that are capped at 18.3 lbs,,, the open class F is capped at 20.3 lbs and normally ranges from 243/6mm up too 338 lupa,,, but the majority of units are none magnum case.

6.5 Creedmore's are showing up but the rifles that support better consistency in the winds is the 200 too 240gr bullets as they hold true in the changing wind conditions.

The 223's do ok, but the wind hangs a licking on them past the 400 too 500m mark. There was a few shoots from the 223's at 800m that didn't make there mark as the winds carried them away.

Today I did my own optics test too find range points from 100 too 500 yards,,, the winds and mirages made for some interesting shots. LOL.

My factory 30/06 would never be able to compete with those units, but I'll do good with the iron silhouettes.

I'll be taking in more trips down there as these folks are will too share in what works.
Pretty knowledgeable group of young and not young... Lots of folks in this class remember my good friend C Ganter as they spent time in Full Bore completion with him back in the day.

I was shocked that I even placed 3rd in the F Class.

One of the un-coached 14 year old young men bet me out on top of that,,, the other young 13 year olds was. 03 points less my score.

Wholly crap can this group perform.
Robert jumped in mid stream too test some ammo, Ha. He had the target folks in the "butt" trying too mark his pin holes at 800m,,, I can see why he competes on the national stuff.

I'll post more info on where these venues take place,,, F & Open F Class are growing fast as young and non young can get into this class at a some what normal cost.

Its stuff like this that some folks are into, its as much about ones personal best,,, and a chance to meet and visit with folks that are living the dream.

F Class allows folks that have once done full bore too come back to match with optic scopes and tri-pods.
If they choose that is.

Don
Old 06-06-2017, 05:38 PM

Found another unit too get me back in the game.

Remmy Long Range in Odd-6 since my 6.5x20 Leopold needs to find a home,,, the old scope ain't worth selling, so I might as well give it something too do. Ha

This allows me a chance too get up too speed in the stock F Class bracket, and maybe some game Harvesting if it plays out.

Only time will tell how this rifle performs at both ends of the spectrum, the option of inner changeable scopes is a must,,, and other stuff as this rifle will soon see a work out...

If it pans out, then the Ruger M77 Mark II will find a new home.

Good times ahead on a path unknown

Don
Old 06-06-2017, 05:58 PM
Banned

Nice rig. I've had great luck with accuracy from Remington's in 30-06.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:38 PM

Thx DH.

Remmy has treated me well over the years, I never owned a Ruger in all my years, but the M77 I picked up a few months ago is working awesome up to this point,,, the glass bedding wasn't really needed as they have a tang wedge fit. But I wanted too make sure that it stayed put in all kinds of weather.

A fellow at worked was looking at my Ruger the other day as he asked what caliber it was,,, I told him it was a 308 improved. Ha.

We both had a good laugh.

Splitting hairs between the 08 & Odd-6,,, pretty close in my books considering that I stay away from max loads.

It will be a few weeks before I get the new unit rigged up,

No hurry at my end as its worth the time too sort things out before hitting the range.

I've had nothing too do with Bell Carlson stocks, but they seem pretty care free from what I have read on the Web pages.

Don
Old 06-06-2017, 08:07 PM

Right on, Don. Glad you are enthusiastic about your new hobby, and enjoying the heck out of it. Your pictures make your stories much more interesting. If I could make a suggestion, for $150 you could get yourself a good powder measure and trickler. Your loads won't be as erratic as with that empty piece of brass you are using. Keep having fun. That's what it is all about.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:02 PM

Enjoying the reading on this thread. Good info and stories both, I to love my 06 for all the reasons here but even more so for sentimental reasons. I'm shooting a 54 model 70 in 30-06 that my grandpa ordered from new at hardware store he opened after the war, my dad took bis first deer with it as a teen then later inberited it. He had it freshened up bedded and a few other thing in the 2000s and I got to take my first cariboo with it on our last hunting trip together, now that I have inherited it it kinda feels like I get to bring dad along on my hunts still. I will continue to follow along on your journey and am taking notes on loads for when I finally have the time to start loading
Old 06-07-2017, 06:50 AM

Your more then welcome on the sharing ideas as all of us find a path that works for us.

My reloading skills are just enough to get by, but I can see it improving very soon, it will have too as I try to advance at this next category along the way.

Fun iron silhouette will always be in the mix, along with general plinking, but its sure nice too see how other folks go to task at their stuff too.

The shooting community folks are awesome in the way they share stories of long-ago and what they have done over the years too keep pace.

Not only in the firearms thing, but all that other stuff that's attached to life,,, it is this mix that adds value too us,,, hopefully the larger % of it is in the +'s. LOL.

My approach too this F Class stuff will start off easy as I get things going, but I also need too be wise that the path doesn't become too challenging either.

Like Robert mentioned, try too have more on the mechanical so at least its better then the shooter them selves. Ha.

Don
Old 06-08-2017, 03:47 PM

The point of impact.

Working the F Class target area was an eye opener, and those that harvest critters would soon see why.

The trajectory catch,,, "bullet stop" tells alot about ft-lbs energy from different bullets at range.

The 30 cal 200, 210, and 240's wallop that back drop, even the 139'ers from the 6.5's hit with force at the 400m mark.

But at 800m all the flying trajectories hit soft,,, I knew this from my years game Harvesting. This might of been why I jumped into the belted magnum side of things.

Distance too impact at a 1000 too 1500m would even be less then what we seen that Saterday.

I now realize the range limits of a few cartrages that were out there that day,,, mostly the 308 / 30/06 since there closely matched.

My first plan from day one was 180 gr,,, then my long time friend mentioned 150's as I was really going that direction.

Robert how ever got me thinking once again.

There's no replacement for displacement. Ha.

178/ 180gr are on the table from here on in if I choose too reach distances at range.

High BC is what it takes too buck the winds, and carry some impact with it down there.

Too each their own my friends,,, if you get the chance too work F Class or Full Bore at the target area / "The Butt." take it on as it could open ones mind as it did mine on what is impact of bullets at distance.

There might be 3000 ft-lbs at the muzzle, but it's much much less too and beyond the 800 / 1000m mark.

I know where too call it quits now at critter harvest distance.

Don
Old 06-11-2017, 12:08 PM

Leopold Veri III 6.5-20x50 has a new friend.

20 MOA rail for the Remmy LR in 308 improved / 30/06 too be real

I'm hoping I can get zero at 200 yards still.
My friend Carl G did a small work over on the scope since its been sleeping for 20 years.

My miss count on MOA was off a bit as it has factory 60 MOA. Ha.

The package will soon be on my other friends counter too get a few extras before a field test.

A ways too go before it is F-Class ready.
I'm hoping it will fit into the Stock Class apposed too Open Class.

Open Class is the folks with the wild-cats that makes my unit look old school.

I'm on the search for a 1 does all scope at a later date.

It would be nice too set it up for bush game harvest "if" the time comes,,, and be able too get work outs at target long range only. There won't be no long range critter harvests in days as it has never been part of my Harvesting rules.

Good times forward in days ahead.

PS: As I mentioned in the above posts,,, if I get this unit set-up the way I need it, then the almost new too me Ruger will be looking for a new home.

One for all is the path I'm on.

Don
Old 06-15-2017, 10:07 AM

The Stock F Class build is underway.
The new Remmy LR will slowly see change over the year.

Hopefully it will be alot like this when I'm done,,, but also allowing the unit too fit into other shooting activities.

A little bit less in optic zoom that will allow for long distance Stock Class F,,, and a jury barrel a bit shorter then the FTR Class.

I can see that new optics are a must over the long haul, so selling off the scopes I no longer need will cover these funds easily.

Once things are sorted, this unit is going to have a hot barrel as I run it threw its paces.

If the unit can prove consistency, then it allows me to deal with the conditions at hand along with the human factor.
Every good system needs a control center when traveling across the Americas, mine will remain frugal on any roads I venter on.

The whole package deal or it ain't worth doing as its not worth the time, effort, or funds if all the bases are not addressed.

Don