Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-28-2010, 07:36 PM

Default "The CALLING!!" part deau!

OK me and 3 buddies hit Calling for a long weekend in sept...fishing was amazing!! More large eyes, monster pike and a seeming drunk burb that I am sure was intent on mateing with my outboad....any way we are heading up again this weekend...I have done extensive reasearch and the reports are not good so far, and I am not overly familiar with the lake except for the few places we hit this fall...so over ridge and snow filled cravase we go in search of those once pleantiful honey holes...I am pretty sure I have searched every thread for every peice of info, but if anyone has any last bit of advice for these poor bastards, I would love the info...if not wish us luck and sunday I will deliver a detailed report with pics on what will undoubtedly be the adventure of this season!!! or not....if you are heading to calling stop by and say hi.Look for the Xterra being chased by a Ram pickup wandering aimlessly like the a couple of blind guys at a bar...or we will be parked beside a huge green tent of doom!! We may not catch fish but by God we will never surrender our FREEDOM!!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:43 PM

Good luck out there guys!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 01-28-2010, 09:45 PM

I'll be there this weekend with another board member - Drewski Canuck. Look for two white pickups parked near each other and come say hi!
Old 01-29-2010, 10:04 AM

Definitely...we are trying to hit up VW point sat morning and then stay late for burbs...what is on your agenda?
Old 01-29-2010, 10:24 AM

After a lovely day visiting with the in-laws on saturday.... hmmm Sunday hey? well I'll look for that monster of a tent of yours thorne and maybe stop in for a coolie.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:33 AM

Fished Calling yesterday 6 or 7th time this year and it was the slowest. Iced 5fish and lost/missed a few more. Did manage 1 nice walleye 25 inches another 22inches and one smaller. two pike biggest was 35 inches. This was between two of us so fairly slow. Fished the east side though so mabye vw point tomorrow. Only fished that area in open water so it would be a nice change.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:14 PM

Wife and I were at Calling Lake today, 2 eye's, 1 @ 4lbs, the other went back ( @ 2lbs ) ,3 small jack's, all went back, 3 burb's , we kept 2 @6lbs.
Fished from 10:00 till 5:00 at Volkswagon Point.
Will be back tomorrow for more fun.
Any recent reports on Orloff? Can you drive from road to lake? It's been 16 years since i've fiished it, and then, you could only pull a tobboggan out to the lake.
Let me know, so we can alter plans for tomorrow afternoon's fun.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketron View Post
Wife and I were at Calling Lake today, 2 eye's, 1 @ 4lbs, the other went back ( @ 2lbs ) ,3 small jack's, all went back, 3 burb's , we kept 2 @6lbs.
Fished from 10:00 till 5:00 at Volkswagon Point.
Will be back tomorrow for more fun.
Any recent reports on Orloff? Can you drive from road to lake? It's been 16 years since i've fiished it, and then, you could only pull a tobboggan out to the lake.
Let me know, so we can alter plans for tomorrow afternoon's fun.
Where did you cut across to VW point, rocker? At least without needing a couple of spare tires..

Fished Calling with Drewski Canuck today on the east side.. was slowwwwww.. slowest that area has been all season. Only 3 fish landed between the two of us.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:48 PM

OK here is the conclusion..yes there are ice ridges on Calling, but there are clear routes through them...no problems. You can get on in the park, or popular street, also....no problems..!! Now the bite....here is the problem...managed 1 pike between the 4 of us all day off of VW Point. What was a killer honey hole in fall was a near skunk in winter. Having said that I spoke with several people with simular results...except for one....a single little older red Ford Ranger parked almost perfectly in the middle of about 6 trucks around us....was there 2 -3 hours manged there 1 nice walleye each (2 people in the truck) and 5 really nice burbut...and a few pike they released....So I walk over to these huys and see what they are doin so differently...and he was very friendly and pulled up his rif to show me the same thing I was using...he then said he had enough fish for the day so we could use his holes..Awsome!! he pulled up, even gave us his left over bait and went on his way...we fished those holes for 4 hours and never saw a single thing...what can I say..except for well done him! So there are nice fish there, but unless you are a older gentle man and his wife driving a little red Ranger...forget it!! Mentionable note to the CO who stopped by checked everyone outand warmed up in our tent...awsome attitude and professionalism!! Was really nice to chat with informative and just a real great example of what you would expect. Keep it up guys!!
Old 01-30-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
OK here is the conclusion..yes there are ice ridges on Calling, but there are clear routes through them...no problems. You can get on in the park, or popular street, also....no problems..!! Now the bite....here is the problem...managed 1 pike between the 4 of us all day off of VW Point. What was a killer honey hole in fall was a near skunk in winter. Having said that I spoke with several people with simular results...except for one....a single little older red Ford Ranger parked almost perfectly in the middle of about 6 trucks around us....was there 2 -3 hours manged there 1 nice walleye each (2 people in the truck) and 5 really nice burbut...and a few pike they released....So I walk over to these huys and see what they are doin so differently...and he was very friendly and pulled up his rif to show me the same thing I was using...he then said he had enough fish for the day so we could use his holes..Awsome!! he pulled up, even gave us his left over bait and went on his way...we fished those holes for 4 hours and never saw a single thing...what can I say..except for well done him! So there are nice fish there, but unless you are a older gentle man and his wife driving a little red Ranger...forget it!! Mentionable note to the CO who stopped by checked everyone outand warmed up in our tent...awsome attitude and professionalism!! Was really nice to chat with informative and just a real great example of what you would expect. Keep it up guys!!
Was the CO a younger guy? Got check by one who couldn't have been more than 30.. probably closer to 25... seemed like a decent guy.. very friendly and professional.

I feel your pain at Calling.. was a different lake two weeks ago. Hopefully it picks up again soon.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:59 AM

Ya he was a younger guy, didn't get his name though. Was out of athabaska....and ya don't think Ill be hitting calling lake again until the ice is out and I can comversome serious territory with the boat. Glad to see I am not the only one seeing a slow day.