Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2020, 03:06 PM

Default TD bank investments. Yikes.

Was reading that the TD bank is investing in Trump's private prisons stocks. Know where your money is being invested.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...wpev560Jmu8QXQ
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-13-2020, 03:08 PM

Thanks for posting. I will be sure to contact TD to invest.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Was reading that the TD bank is investing in Trump's private prisons stocks. Know where your money is being invested.

The article logs all credibility when they start quoting someone who goes in about all the “amazing work” the movement for black lives has accomplished, if they are referring to BLM....

Also I didn’t notice any mention of these so called “Trumps private prisons” that you mentioned.... newsflash they were around long before Trump and will be around long after him as well.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby99ca View Post
Thanks for posting. I will be sure to contact TD to invest.
What's wrong with investing in a private prison?
Old 08-13-2020, 05:14 PM

Cool.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:22 PM

These are investments not fast food. Boycotting companies based on what the social justice warriors tell you to boycott only hurts you in the long term. Let them put your money wherever it's going to do the most good for you.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:23 PM

Somewhere a snowflake melts.....

-Billy Molls
Old 08-13-2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
What's wrong with investing in a private prison?
Nothing, maybe reread my post. I said I would be investing.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:25 AM

Quote:

I have no idea what your investment portfolio looks like but if you are making your decisions based on this kind of information I would strongly suggest you move to a GIC only investment plan. You won't do well in the stock market.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:22 AM

There are lots of options for investing. Avoiding some investment sectors is perfectly possible, without compromising good financial management.

There are ethical investment financial management firms, if that is your thing.

Banks are not your best investment advisors, because they look after the well being of the bank, first and foremost.

It looks like TD holdings in US Firms running private prisons is a trivial investment.

The US prison system is corrupt and abusive, hardly something to be defending with such scorn for the OP.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby99ca View Post
Nothing, maybe reread my post.
Good advice.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:05 PM

I enjoyed all the comments about my reasoning. Oh wait, now I see this tonight about the same bank. The TD really knows how to manage their customers money.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/tops...ce/ar-BB18ewSU
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-21-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I enjoyed all the comments about my reasoning. Oh wait, now I see this tonight about the same bank. The TD really knows how to manage their customers money.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/tops...ce/ar-BB18ewSU
Except, some of the people that gave you good advice here on this thread may just know a "thing or two" about banks and investments ....
Old 08-21-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Except, some of the people that gave you good advice here on this thread may just know a "thing or two" about banks and investments ....
I'm sure there are many people that know more about investments than me. And a few that know more than TD. haha. I'm just cynical. Disregard my ramblings.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:
I'm sure there are many people that know more about investments than me. And a few that know more than TD. haha. I'm just cynical. Disregard my ramblings.
Naw you're allowed to feel the way you do!
Old 08-22-2020, 06:19 AM

Best thing I did this year was move my investments from the generic bank RRSP plan to a self directed online account. It is a bit more work (a very small amount of work) but I have full control of where I invest. I’m still in some ETF’s that have their hand in everything but I also got money in companies I believe in and have done very well for me so far.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have no idea what your investment portfolio looks like but if you are making your decisions based on this kind of information I would strongly suggest you move to a GIC only investment plan. You won't do well in the stock market.
Lol. Wow. I guess you have been told
Thanks for posting the article Red. Interesting
Old 08-22-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
To me stock markets are too volatile and a foolish investment unless you are willing to wait for years. And I would never trust any bank with managing money. My mother trusted a bank and in a few years of them managing her portfolio she lost money, but I'm sure the banker made money with her funds.

I guess I better go to investing school Dean2.

I tried investing once a over a decade ago. I made 500% on the investment in 6 months. Was able to give my kids a nice bonus. Following certain things now, if I had money to invest now I would have doubled my investment in less than a year. But what do I know?
Old 08-22-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
To me stock markets are too volatile and a foolish investment unless you are willing to wait for years. And I would never trust any bank with managing money. My mother trusted a bank and in a few years of them managing her portfolio she lost money, but I'm sure the banker made money with her funds.

I guess I better go to investing school Dean2.

I tried investing once a over a decade ago. I made 500% on the investment in 6 months. Was able to give my kids a nice bonus. Following certain things now, if I had money to invest now I would have doubled my investment in less than a year. But what do I know?

Markets are too volatile and a foolish investment. You tried it once years ago and made 500% in 6 months. You are so well educated in investing that had you invested in the last 12 months you would have made 100%, but being so well versed in the market you didn't invest because they are obviously too volatile. Let me work on reconciling that deeply insightful analysis of your investing philosophy.
Old 08-22-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Markets are too volatile and a foolish investment. You tried it once years ago and made 500% in 6 months. You are so well educated in investing that had you invested in the last 12 months you would have made 100%, but being so well versed in the market you didn't invest because they are obviously too volatile. Let me work on reconciling that deeply insightful analysis of your investing philosophy.
Seems you don't like my posts because they challenge your ideas. Are you my brother in law the banker? *all in good fun eh.*

I didn't invest recently because I don't have the means since stopping work due to leukemia and health. And I never claimed to be so well educated. Probably more naďve than most. I've seen many friends loose money playing the markets. Some did ok but it was hit and miss. Only one guy I know did really good. He bought penny stocks in the 60's for 5 cents each and he cashed them out around 2000 for 2.50 bucks each. Otherwise, everything is a gamble.

I will be sure not to post or participate in such threads in the future. Don't need to be getting some guy's dander up or ruffle his chest feathers. Life is too short for that. And most people don't like thinking outside the box anyways.

I sincerely hope you do well with your investments Dean.
Old 08-22-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
........ playing the markets. ...... everything is a gamble.
I think that may be the issue. Investing is not "playing" or "gambling", if that's what someone is doing, it's not investing. If one uses the very loosest definition of the word, I suppose it could be, as nothing is guaranteed, but cash under the mattress is gambling as well then, as that's not guaranteed either.
Old 08-22-2020, 01:40 PM

All good. Not actually ruffled and I shouldn't have picked on you specifically, sorry about that. As far as thinking outside the box, what I have found is there are so many outside the box thinkers that there is actually a lot of room now inside the box. The box exists for a very good reason, Amazon would be nothing without them.