Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-14-2020, 07:47 PM

Default Tikka m695 acc7uracy

I purchased this rifle new it is a 7mm REM MAG. I never had a problem with it until a friend told me to try some of his handloads. I tried one and noticed the bolt was a little bit hard to close, assumed kit was just aa tight case and fired the cartridge. NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING. I HAD A VERY DIFFICULT TIME OPENING THE BOLT AND EJECTING THE CASE. DISCOVERED THE PRIMER LAYING IN THE CHAMBER NOT IN THE SPENT CASE. I stepped back and thanked the LORD .MY BODY WAS STILL INTACT. I took the rifle home and cleaned it and after a thorough inspection did not notice anything amiss. I do not know whether it is the rifle or just the experience that I had but I do not shoot this rifle as good as the others I have. THIS USED TO BE MY FAVORITE.Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated, thanks in advance
Old 09-14-2020, 08:10 PM

Where are you located? Someone with a headspace gauge might be able to check that for you. PM me if you like, I’ll take a look at it.

Last edited by leo; 09-14-2020 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:31 PM

You may want to disassemble the bolt and clean the firing pin and the firing pin tunnel in the bolt. Often a piece of the primer gets blown into the bolt
Old 09-14-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Where are you located? Someone with a headspace gauge might be able to check that for you. PM me if you like, I’ll take a look at it.
i am in Taber
Old 09-15-2020, 08:46 AM

Default Hard to close to bolt

I would guess your friends hand loads were fire formed and OAL for another rifle. If the cartridge was to long the bullet would be touching the rifling.
In most cases this is a no, no.
It creates a spike in the pressure and would cause exactly what you have described should it be at the top of the power charge.
Try chambering and extracting a factory round a few times. Any play?
I agree with having a gunsmith check the headspace.

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 09-15-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaffan View Post
I purchased this rifle new it is a 7mm REM MAG. I never had a problem with it until a friend told me to try some of his handloads. I tried one and noticed the bolt was a little bit hard to close, assumed kit was just aa tight case and fired the cartridge. NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING. I HAD A VERY DIFFICULT TIME OPENING THE BOLT AND EJECTING THE CASE. DISCOVERED THE PRIMER LAYING IN THE CHAMBER NOT IN THE SPENT CASE. I stepped back and thanked the LORD .MY BODY WAS STILL INTACT. I took the rifle home and cleaned it and after a thorough inspection did not notice anything amiss. I do not know whether it is the rifle or just the experience that I had but I do not shoot this rifle as good as the others I have. THIS USED TO BE MY FAVORITE.Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated, thanks in advance
Rule #1: NEVER trust anyone's handloads but your own carefully developed ones. What's safe in my rifle may be way overloaded in yours. What's hot in my rifle may be dangerous in another.

If the primer was out of the spent case the case head has been expanded a lot, indicating extreme high pressure.

You really should get the headspace checked.