Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: Killing Coyotes
Yes, Coyotes need to be controlled 237 67.71%
No, If you kill a dog you should try to salvage the pelt 113 32.29%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2006, 10:13 PM
gunner 83

Default Killing Coyotes

Alot of people like calling coyotes. Just wondering about opinions about killing coyotes for well....the sake of killing coyotes. Not for fur but for controlling the predator population.

The poll question is...is it ok to kill a coyote and leave it?
Old 12-06-2006, 11:24 PM
jrs

Depends on circumstances. In some areas or where mange is an epidemic i can see leaving them. I'd rather see guys thinning out the foxes and raccoons myself and leaving a few more yotes around to control them. Not saying pass up on any, a yotes a yote and many more will be hiding where you'll never see them. I try to use something off mostly everything i shoot though, i even had a friend taking gophers couple years back.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:35 AM
Charmax

Down south here we have a big problem with them getting to our cattle. So I have know problem shooting them and leaving them where they lay. Its a yote or my cattle.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:30 AM
grandslamer1

leaving them is just stupid even when the prices are down u can still get 10 to 15 each on the carcus 25 to 35 this year

i even meet a guy said he wouldnt was his time for 15 dollars but damn near killed himself trying to get a 5 dollar bill that blew across the feild
Old 12-07-2006, 11:28 AM
buying pelts

Default buying pelts

Does anyone have a contact for someone willing to buy coyotes pelts on the carcass?
Old 12-07-2006, 12:21 PM
aulrich

Default Re: buying pelts

I am a depends as well and for the standard reason a farmer/rancher or someone on there direct behalf has the right to protect thier lively hood.

For me I leave them till their prime. There is an upside and a downside to the leave'em lay crowed it is a shame to let a usable resource go to waste. But it does reduce the number being sold off cheap in the round.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:22 PM
rugatika

Default edmonton carcass buyers

Does anyone know someone in Edmonton that would buy the whole carcass?
Old 12-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Ice Fishing Maniac

Default Re: Coyotes

Depends on circumstances as jrs said. If I'm out predator hunting, I'll keep them, and if they are around when the calves are being born in Jan-March, and they are being a pest, then possibly not.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:47 PM
Piglet

Default Re: Coyotes

I'm from the "if you kill it, use it" crowd, but I'm not here to bash anyone's way of life.

A question, some of you posters here seem to be from the ranching community. I have had opportunity to hunt ranch country for the passed few years and the land owners I talked to about the coyotes on their property have said they are not a problem.

I fact one even told me that in many years of ranching he had never seen a coyote go after his cattle, and this is on a ranch where I had 5 yotes in my scope at the same time.

Now these people let me hunt the property so they are not trying to stop me from shooting, they just seem to have no problem with the coyotes.

But everytime I see posts here with coyotes as a subject some say they are an epidemic and should be wiped out, and one poster said that they go after cattle.

I find it hard to believe a coyote could take down a cow and have watched them walk right through herds of cattle without batting an eye, and the cows didn't seem to concerned either (not that cows are the brightest, but they would be skittish if the coyote was a danger to them).

Just wondering, perhaps one of you experienced people can enlighten me.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2006, 02:59 PM
rugatika

Default cows

I'm not a rancher. I talked to a farmer last summer around Mayerthorpe and he was telling me about coyote problems. He said that he couldn't keep a dog around the yard cause the coyotes would kill them. (They lure a dog out of the yard and then gang up on it) I've heard of wolves doing this too. I've also heard of yotes going after calves as they are being born and young ones. Never heard of yotes going after a full grown cow though and frankly don't think they could get a full grown cow unless it was fairly sick.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Charmax

Default Re: cows

[Never heard of yotes going after a full grown cow though and frankly don't think they could get a full grown cow unless it was fairly sick.]

They chase the cows and nip at thier heels and some will even bit the bag of the cows and that will stop them from feeding the calves if it is to sore. So they need a bullet.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:30 PM
aulrich

Default Re: cows

Halfordhides buys them in Edmonton
Old 12-07-2006, 03:37 PM
rugatika

Default I stand corrected

Thanks for the info Charmax. Just gives me another reason to blast some yotes this winter.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:37 PM
jrs

Default Re: I stand corrected

I have a cousing in Manitoba who ranches and siad he's had troubles during calving. The bears were worse where he's at though, he said his neighbor shot 100 black bears in one season. Including a one aday streak that went over a month. The coyotes stress the cattle more than attack them. I know they'll chew up irrigation attachments, causes some really leaky pipes and hoses come spring.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Duffy4

Default Re: coyotes and cows

I too have never really heard of any real problems with coyotes and cows. Of course most of the farmers I know calve out around the farm and have some dogs. There are lots of coyotes in the area of my inlaws but they have never lost a calf to a coyote. They shoot at every one they see though. I think it is just the "farmer attitude" that any "predator" must be bad news. (they shoot at hawks and owls too and trap magpies)

If there is a real problem one method is to shoot the problem. I think that is ok. But I always make use of a coyote I shoot.

Robin down under
Old 12-07-2006, 05:30 PM
Blakeinator2

My uncle is close to town, he's got tons of land in the area approved for me to go calling coyotes(probably been killing a dozen a year out of there recreational calling), they are a problem to most folks around him and they can't get me out there enough to shoot them. His neighbor lost a calf to them this year and last fall they cornered a fork horn muley in his yard up against the wind fence and killed and ate the whole thing in one night. This is common if they get too numerous...and they are in his area. Deer herds have taken huge beatings when the right winter rolls around and the coyotes pack up on them. Right now the local herd is back up to about 30 animals but used to run around 60 and got beat down as low as 10 or 11. I started calling them when they were low several years ago....killing that dozen or so a year seems to help.

I find about 50% of the folks 'out there' don't mind you shootin em and the other half likes them and wants them left alone(except around my uncle where they all want them all dead). I imagine once they start crawling all over peoples yards and the odd guy loses a calf then its probably time to let loose on em.

My own opinion is let loose on em fulltime, anytime, and always , and with any and all calibers(the bigger the better)...and yes they are useful.....useful for taking pictures with, at least thats how i make use of them. If a guy wanted to pay for some gas/ammo/a new gun etc. then sell em. To me its worth it to leave their flea bitten stinkin arses right where the picture is taken with them. Drag their sorry arses back to the truck, throw them in the truck bleedin & stinkin all over your truck, then save them for a trip later on to sell them. Yeah right. I'd probably do it if i lived in Edmonton where they don't get the chinooks as i could keep them frozen in yard...as i am not buying a freezer big enough to keep them good and i'm not driving them 2 hours one way(Bruce Beasley in Brooks) to sell everytime there is a chinook.....for 20-30 bucks a mutt...no thanks. I'll leave all that for the trapper guys who do it full time, not worth for my recreational calling arse.

This year its all about the .270 for them.....keeeerrrrrSPLAT!!!! Say cheese, okay drop it, lets get going to the next stand.

Actually i've got to skin a few this year for some family/friends who want some tanned hides to hang....not really lookin forward to it but sometimes you just gotta.

There, that outta stir things up a little....the beautiful thing about coyotes is...we can actually think like this about them and we can just leave em lay. Or we can be all noble and skin them out and sell them etc. and save the skull etc. Nothing wrong with either.

Coyotes....also known as big furry magpies without wings. KeeeerrrrrrSPLAT!:lol

B:lol

p.s. guess you know where i voted? also, they should allow road hunting/shooting from the truck for coyotes imo, its just the right thing to do imo :rollin , although i prefer calling them and getting the pictures i still think they should let guys go cruising for them on snowy winters days...old school
Old 12-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Jamie Hunt

I learned some "old school" ways of killing yotes. Might have to try it this year.

Yotes, southern alberta's answer to Black bears in grain fields.

Jamie
Old 12-07-2006, 10:55 PM
Grizzly Adams

I sees em, I shoot at them. Don't always hit em, but it keeps em on their toes and they don't come around looking to eat our cats or share the dogs food, as they do at the neighbors.:lol
Grizz
Old 12-08-2006, 11:12 AM
220 Swift

here's my take. On the farm in Sask, the coyotes never really bothered at calving time. They did come into the corrals and harrassed the cow and calves but nothing happened. Although, the neighbor down the road had coyotes attack a cow while she was down calving. They coyotes killed/ ate part of the calf, as it was being born. They coyotes also ate part of the cows back end as it was down pushing. they had to shoot the cow when they found her.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:41 AM
M70

I live out in the country and any of the coyotes that come onto my place are going to get lead poisoning from a 40 gr pill. I've shot coyotes that have come right up to the playground set when my dogs have been penned up. I usually let my Bouvier loose on the property because she could probably take care of herself but my lab is only let out of the kennel when supervised. I've come home to see my Bouvier chasing one coyote in circles in our pasture while two others were just waiting on the side lines. I'd hate to think what might have happened to her if I hadn't come home to scare them off.

My in-laws have a cow/calf operation and although they have never had a cow taken by coyotes, they have lost a few calves over the years. In their experience though, it is pretty rare. Mostly, the coyotes seem to hang around to get at the afterbirth.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:08 PM
yotes

Default yotes

Them bastards deserve every hot bullet they get. We knock em down in the barley field every couple of days, then wack the rest of the ones that come to eat the dead one.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Blakeinator2

Default Re: yotes

"Them bastards deserve every hot bullet they get."

Now thats the spirit! I LOVE IT!:lol :lol

Thats right fellow rednecks, lets make this the winter we take all our frustrations out on mr. wiley coyote! Its the right thing to do! Leave the pea shooters at home...take the biggest gun in the cabinet...lets start a sticky thread to post pics of the carnage too.:rollin Lets see how many rednecks can turn a coyote into a canoe this year!

B
Old 12-08-2006, 01:43 PM
rugatika

Default Damn

Damn Blakeinator, that is the most politically incorrect, redneck thing I've read on this board. Coyotes are vermin, like skunks, mice, rats, and porcupines.

Awesome. You sir, are an inspiration.

Let me pre-empt any comments from the fairer people of this province...

"That is reprehensible...it gives hunters a bad image!!"

"I'm shocked!!"

"OH DEAR!!"

"I suppose you kill mice too!"

"ALL animals deserve respect and love!, How would you like it if coyotes tried to kill you."

"People shouldn't use cows for food anyway."

I think that covers it. Feel free to add any soft comments at will.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Charmax

Default Re: Damn

These last two posts say it all.

Kill those mother @#$%ers, kill them all.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Blakeinator2

:rollin

Hunting season is over, just thought i'd say it like most people think it for once!:lol :lol Just in a bit of a mood i guess.

B
Old 12-08-2006, 04:30 PM
walleyes

Oh my goodness,,, how could you,,, well I have never,,, :lol :lol
:lol
Hah hah you got er rites boys,, these thigs are verman,, and should be treated like gophers, mice anything of the sort...
Damn devil dogs...
Old 12-08-2006, 06:15 PM
shotgun

I plan on doing my part this Sunday...buddy had a bull die last week. That mixed with some calling should bring in a couple of yoters.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Duffy4

Default Re: A Nice Cold Beer

Rats and starlings and a few other non-native critters that have been brought here and disrupt the natural systems, I consider "vermin". But all native animals I have respect for. Some can be hunted and killed for various reasons.

I am surprised by what some of you above have been saying. I always considered myself a bit of a "redneck" but I sure would not agree with some of you on this thread.

Robin down under
Old 12-08-2006, 07:17 PM
depopulator

Kill em all , dam varmints !!
Old 12-08-2006, 07:21 PM
WCTHEMI

How else can we practice shooting in the winter?