Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-25-2011, 10:34 PM

Default First NSR Fish

Finally on my 3rd try I was able to land a fish, good thing too or I probably never would have gone back lol. Had both a pike and a walleye, walleye below. Too bad can't keep them, he would have made a tasty treat.

How does one catch a goldeye without using a worm or minnow? I hate buying bait and like to cast. Tried some trout powerbait I had kicking around but didn't get any bites on that.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavCanoe View Post
Finally on my 3rd try I was able to land a fish, good thing too or I probably never would have gone back lol. Had both a pike and a walleye, walleye below. Too bad can't keep them, he would have made a tasty treat.

How does one catch a goldeye without using a worm or minnow? I hate buying bait and like to cast. Tried some trout powerbait I had kicking around but didn't get any bites on that.
a fly(hopper pattern)
Old 08-25-2011, 10:39 PM

looks like the outfall
Old 08-25-2011, 11:21 PM

Well, first off congrats on getting your first fish out of the NSR Unfortunately my crappy satellite internet is acting up out here and I can't see your pics right now.

Anyway, if you want to catch goldeye on hardware try small spoons and spinners. I tend to have good luck with lures that are at least partially - small Blue Fox spoons for example. Think of the kind of lures you'd toss at trout

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-25-2011, 11:31 PM

worms also work great to, if you are releasing the goldeye however i sugest using small spinners in back eddys, try to avoid big deep pools as the pike and walleye are sitting in them and will eat a goldeye of he swimms in a pool, they usuually sit out in the current or back eddys, goodluck
Old 08-25-2011, 11:37 PM

I have always used spoons to catch goldies. I always try to cast as far out as I can. They seem to like it better away from shore.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:09 AM

i fished that river every day for almost 2 weeks before i caught a fish. their crafty in that river.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by best guide shawn homeniuk View Post
worms also work great to, if you are releasing the goldeye however i sugest using small spinners in back eddys, try to avoid big deep pools as the pike and walleye are sitting in them and will eat a goldeye of he swimms in a pool, they usuually sit out in the current or back eddys, goodluck
That might of been the issue. I was using a Mepps aglia size 0 orange spinner but was in a deep pool where I had caught the pike and walleye.

I have never caught a goldeye so trying to figure them out still.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:45 AM

Nice catch.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCodyRandolph View Post
i fished that river every day for almost 2 weeks before i caught a fish. their crafty in that river.
Im the same. I just recently started fishing the NSR (coupla weeks maybe) and i cant catch a thing and im throwing everything i got at it. Much as i hate it i might have to use bait. Really dont want to though.
Maybe all them young fellas on here that catch dozens out there are fishing at night when a old guy like me is in bed. Cause when im out there no one is catching except the odd fish.

Nice fish RAV.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:19 PM
hunter49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavCanoe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by best guide shawn homeniuk View Post
worms also work great to

hmmm....