Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-05-2011, 10:12 AM

Default First Report

After not being out on the ice for....well, a long, long time, I decided it was time to get back into ice fishing. After plenty of helpful advice from members of this forum, here's what I bought. Tent...Clam Denali, auger...10" StrikeMaster Pro, heater...Mr. Heater Big Buddy, 20lb propane tank, rods...St. Croix 22" Solid Graphite, reels...Quantum Optix reels, line...Berkley Vanish 8lb.

Saturday morning, my SIL and I drove out to Carson Pegasus. The tent was easy to set up and spacious inside. The seats aren't worth chit unless you're 4'6" and 75 lbs. I intend to modify this so as to obtain a much higher level of comfort. The StrikeMaster auger didn't seem to 'bite' into the ice as readily as I expected. Next time out, I'll ask some experienced guys to give it a try and see what their impressions are. Maybe my expectations are too high. The Big Buddy and 20 lb tank of propane kept the inside of the Denali comfy and warm. We ran it constantly. However, our feet were abit chilly so I still need to do something to keep our feet off the ice. The rods and reels performed without a glitch.

Fishing was pretty good, and all fish ranged between 12" and 14". We started off with a power bait ball and maggots on Dave's hook and a power bait ball and shrimp on mine. All fish were caight on maggots. What was a bit disappointing is the discovery that my SIL is a fish hog. The treacherous SOB caught at least 15 trout to my measly 3. He did the same thing to me 2 summers back when we fished Millers. Anyone know of a surefire cure for this disrespectful type of behavior? A near drowning perhaps?

All in all a great day in the field and many more to follow.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice.

Bobby B.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:22 AM

Next time make him hand bomb his holes, and fish outside on a bucket. That'll cure him...LOL

Congrats on getting out again, sounds like your in for a great season!!!
Old 12-05-2011, 11:19 AM

Default Ice depth

Hey Bobby B. -- how thick was the ice on McLeod?

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diploneis View Post
Hey Bobby B. -- how thick was the ice on McLeod?

Thanks!
We didn't measure it but I'd guess it at about 8".

Bobby B.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
Next time make him hand bomb his holes, and fish outside on a bucket. That'll cure him...LOL

Congrats on getting out again, sounds like your in for a great season!!!
The threat of that should keep his hook out of the water until I'm ahead on fish.

Bobby B.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
We didn't measure it but I'd guess it at about 8".

Bobby B.
Thanks! Look on the bright side -- If you'd gone alone, you would have had three measly fish to show for it... Not his fault you can't fish. Consider it a team sport.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diploneis View Post
Thanks! Look on the bright side -- If you'd gone alone, you would have had three measly fish to show for it... Not his fault you can't fish. Consider it a team sport.
Now that was funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Bobby B.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:09 PM

try using a small piece of 2" styrofoam insulation under your boots to keep them off the ice. you have to be careful as it breaks easily, but it stops the thermal bridging real well ....my 2 cents
Old 12-05-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
The threat of that should keep his hook out of the water until I'm ahead on fish.

Bobby B.
You could just go without me, but then you would have no fun and catch almost nothing...

It was a great time...looking forward to next Saturday!!!
Old 12-05-2011, 06:07 PM

pick up some of those interlocking mats from walmart they are cheap and keep your feet of the ice.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 12-05-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
pick up some of those interlocking mats from walmart they are cheap and keep your feet of the ice.

Andy
X2 I use them and they really do make a difference. keeps the ice from melting as well so you dont slip and helps keep down the condensation on the tent

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-05-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:

Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
X2 I use them and they really do make a difference. keeps the ice from melting as well so you dont slip and helps keep down the condensation on the tent
x3

A fellow member supplied me with some of these and never got them back. Used them yesterday and the toes were toasty warm all day.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:

Andy
If you read this Dave, take care of your old decrepit FIL and bring along some of these. Getting old sucks. A little R+C wouldn't hurt either.

Bobby B.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:41 PM

Bobby - glad to hear you had a good day on the ice and everything went fairly well!